Random observations from yesterday’s festivities
I was reluctantly around skid all day yesterday, because Father’s Day and a couple birthdays fell on the same day.
- Skid has the confidence of an attention starved GUBM.
- She is NEVER NOT talking.
- She’s constantly trying to corral my 3 and 4 year old like she has some authority over them.
- She’s still the picky eater she has always been, despite telling me several times yesterday she has “changed ways” when it comes to her “not” being a picky eater.
- She’s stupidly argumentative with DH and his parents over silly, trivial things. I’d give a couple examples from yesterday if they weren’t so ridiculously stupefying.
- This is skid’s 5th summer visitation here and she still cannot stop inserting BM into every family gathering, conversation, holiday, or whatever. It’s not a matter of her missing her mom. She starts the day she arrives and it goes all summer. She brought up BM at least a handful of times yesterday at our house. My personal favorite from yesterday was when she VERY LOUDLY announced, only to MIL, across our large porch, and over a conversation already in process, “Hey Grandma, my mom just sent me a picture of my baby brother. Do you want to see it!?” To which MIL replies “How about you show the picture to your siblings sitting there right next to you?” I actually love when skid pulls this inclusive, MIL-is-the-only-person-in-the-room behavior (she did it a lot last Christmas), because you can hear MIL sink into her own throat and almost visibly see how much MIL wants to melt into the floor and slink away as if THAT did not just happen!
- Skid is nosy. We had a BBQ yesterday at our house, so I was in and out a lot. I came into the house, several times, to find skid opening our medicine cabinet in the bathroom, opening the door to our office to poke her head around, loudly asking “what’s behind this door!?” while tapping on our bedroom door. Etc, etc, etc.
- BM has finally arrived at being heavily invested in the physical appearance of her 11 year old. Skid had professionally groomed brows, filled in with pencil. Make-up on (thankfully, tastefully and minimally). Long fake nails. Oof. Here we go. A mini BM.
After everyone left, and DH and I were in the kitchen cleaning up, I asked him how felt about all the BM talk out of skid. Asked him if he felt it’s worth addressing. His usual response was a major buzzkill after an enjoyable day, for the most part.
”I don’t see what purpose it serves to tell skid to knock it off. To stop bringing up BM each and every time she’s here.”
I would have paid good money to see the look on my face. I think I muttered “Okaaaaay” and went off to bed.