You are here

Time to wave the grandkids around!

ETexasMom's picture

Dh hasn't talked to any of the steps since SS throwing a fit over DH going to my son's bootcamp graduation instead of SGS's birthday party. I'm guessing his daughter's weren't expecting silence from him. They were probably thinking after they sent SS to chew DH out he would come back kissing up too them. Well he didn't so now it's time for OSD to start waving the grandkids around as bait for Dh. Early this morning he gets a text from OSD that is nothing but a picture of SGS's little league schedule. The kid has been in little league for years and never has she sent a schedule before! And it didn't have address to any of the places. So odd. Guess DH can expect a call soon.

Stepdrama11's picture

Ugh. This is so frustrating as my SKs do the same thing with their kids...some blatant guilt bombing...some emotional blackmail, whatever it takes. Awful.

Exjuliemccoy's picture

Guilt bombing, what a perfect phrase for this particular behavior!

DH and I have been through this with the OSD. It's low, contemptible, manipulative behavior. Healthy people don't behave this way.

Stepdrama11's picture

Yes, when the first one came in to our joint email inbox, I wasn't sure, something just felt off about it. But successive emails were more and more blatant, until a huge one that ended with I love you Dad BUT ...and then some stuff trashing me. With absolutely nothing but supportive responses from DH to his DS. That was when I left, and then DH agreed to do a very limited amount of counseling. But he still will not acknowledge his part in anything or how dysfunctional their behaviors are. So if your DH can see and acknowledge it, then you are very fortunate and I'm maybe a teeny bit envious Smile

CANYOUHELP's picture

I'm seriously jealous of any woman with a husband who protects her well being, given skids insults. Mine says nothing, one way or the other. NOTHING, regardless of what the do to anybody or anything, including HIMSELF. It's pathetic.

You do not know how fortunate and blessed you are.....

thinkthrice's picture

The Girhippo did guilt bombing when Chef finally woke up and realized he was being walked on. Despicable!

LochnessStepMonster's picture

Wow. These adult skids are something else. I just don't understand the part where you treat people like they don't matter to you and then when they get the hint, the skids try to lure them back in.

The way I feel about this is the same way I feel about my house: Either to are in or you are out but you will not keep opening my door and letting my or out.

CANYOUHELP's picture

Gkids are ammunition, it appears in some cases. I attended a function only under the condition we did not sit with them, so we sat elsewhere (which was a break through for me).

Guess what, one of them sent the Gkid over to our table--even so. Oh, and this is not even a bio grandkid of any kind, it is an ex step child's kid (I know it is crazy insane).

NowI/we are sitting away from these people who adore me so lol, I get up to get something for my husband at the buffet (there alone and first), and one adult ex skid makes a b-line to me at the buffet line asking me if I like the_______. I said yes, and walked away. Now you would think that if somebody is purposefully not sitting with you to leave them alone (but that will never be the case here).

They never stop, even if you stop. The goal is clearly not him, it is about controlling-- you.

thinkthrice's picture

They cycle of PAS continues. Wash, rinse, repeat.

First kids are used as a weapon then grandkids.

zerostepdrama's picture

Oh yeah... they want nothing to do with daddy until daddy gives them a taste of their own medicine.

First year I was with DH he saw OSD a total of 15 minutes, even though he would invite her to things, etc. Then there was a big falling out between me and OSD (even though I had only seen her 15 minutes total but that is another story) and then all of the sudden she misses her dad, has a special relationship with her dad, is daddy's little girl, etc. I'm mean and keeping daddy from her. (not true) Ummm where have you been for the past year?

It's like you don't know what you got until it's gone. Then these skids want to push their way back in.

ETexasMom's picture

Exactly! I'll be interested to see what happens this Christmas. Last Christmas I wasn't welcomed. So I didn't buy presents, I didn't help DH shop for presents, and didn't tell DH he had to buy presents. Therefor they have not received a present from DH since! I have a feeling very soon I will get text about wanting to make up. No way they will want to go two years with no presents!

Thumper's picture

Using children as pawns does not work at our house I am dead serious. My response might be,

'Thanks for the pic SURE looks like he /she may enjoy it. Have a GREAT weekend and have fun.

Exjuliemccoy's picture

I believe that OSD36 is a narcissistic MOTY, and that to her, her children are an extension of her and should be worshipped accordingly. She is unlike anyone I've ever met, entitled to the nth degree, can't cope with societal rules, can't get along with people, but is obsessed with kids.

OSD used her dad and me shamelessly after we moved closer. We were allowed full access to the gskids, but had to pay for the privilege. This is the woman who tricked me into hosting 70+ people for gdaughter's eighth birthday when she had NO MONEY. We were constantly hit up for $$, groceries, sport fees, clothes, field trips, etc for 6 gkids (son in law had 4, OSD has two). The kids were coached to hit us up for $$, too. The more we gave, the more she wanted - until the day I called OSD out in some bad behavior. All communication with the gskids was cut off that day, and we had zero contact with OSD from that point.

When mental YSD got knocked up a year or so later, OSD decided to get involved. And by get involved, I mean take over completely. OSD started texting DH "exciting news" about the pregnancy, the gender of the baby, and later, photos of the baby (named after OSD). I don't know if these texts were intended to lure, taunt, or inform, but DH ignored them all. By that point there was no way we were going to get sucked into becoming attached to another weapon I'd mass destruction.

CANYOUHELP's picture

Hi ExJulie,

We saw George Carlin a few weeks before he died, it may have been his last show in Vegas.

He did this whole act on who cares about your kids and grandkids. He basically stated how tired and ridiculous it is for everybody to think anybody is all that interested in them and why in the world do they keep flouting pics... He said people come up to him and say let me show you pictures of my kids, and then when I am not interested-- they complain that I am not interested. You know why, he said? Because they're your kids... I could actually careless. They are not my kids, I do not care about them, you do!

He was just too funny about it and it made perfect sense, how we impose on others.

Good for you for stopping the weopondry!

Exjuliemccoy's picture

Thank you for the support. When I put my current step situation down on paper, DH and I seem so cold hearted. I mean, who cuts off their own kids? Twice?? Who refuses to have anything to do with a new grandbaby? It's not something that's easily shared, as many people would be shocked, it it's our reality. People who've never dealt with mental illness will never understand or accept that sometimes you have to protect yourself from the crazy.

enuf's picture

Yes the gkids. My ex dil was a work of art and she used my gkids a manipulation device. The funniest thing is that she and my ds used to live with me. When she was upset with me because I did not cave in to her demands. She would walk in the house and tell the little toddlers not to look at me and to go to their bedroom quickly. Of course once she told to the kids not to look at me, they did.

The next step for your sd is to call your dh and invite only him to the games.

toleaveornottoleave111's picture

In the past few days I've read so many posts, here is 1 more issue I relate to, I can't completely blame my DH's dtr for holding him hostage emotionally, dtr is 36, kids (9 & 3) live in another state, my DH encourages his dtr to send him pictures to his cell of everything going on in her & kids lives. If she buys a bedspread she sends a picture, if she gets a new hairdo she sends a picture, if she's eating, a picture of that, every sunday pictures of the 2 kids. Occasionally he might show me a picture but not often. I use to feel hurt, but now I feel my DH is pathetic, I feel he needs this type of interaction since he can't be with them physically as often as he would like & since he helps her financially, I guess this is her way of thanking him. When he went to visit them 2yrs ago I didn't go. When he goes to visit this year, he will go alone again.