You are here

OSD gave official notice she is cutting DH out of her life!

Disillusioned's picture

So DH & I had a day planned with SGS's on Sunday

We were taking them to a museum then lunch and we were both really looking forward to it

DH was waiting for confirmation of the time OSD and SSIL would drop the boys off and although DH had left a voicemail for OSD about it she hadn't responded, so he followed up with a text message 

OSD respondedto the text by telling DH that they would not be dropping off the kids, that he would not be seeing them again, that she was sick of the scenes or whatever, and this whole thing with BM

This all started on Christmas, when shortly after SIL arrived she began her usual trip of ignoring DH (me) treating us like second-class crap, but at the same time going on and on and ON about her lovely Christmas Eve get together the evening prior with BM, yada yada

DH & I do not care if SIL and OSD do not like me, o accept DH's relationship with me. They don't have to like me or it, however some basic decency and respect is expected

We also could care less if SIL just looooves BM, although we think it's disgusting SIL chose to 'side with BM' against DH her own brother (and me of course)

So this whole game of treating me like I don't exist, deliberately excluding me from conversations, whiile at the same time using SIL's 'great relationship' with BM as a means to try to make us feel uncomfortable, to make me feel unwelcome, an outsider, etc... is not acceptable, and DH finally spoke up and said something

He literally said two words when SIL started, "park it" to be exact

We were relieved that she actually stopped her nonsense that day, but now OSD has decided that this is enough for her to cut DH out of her life, and that of the sgkids

When DH responded to her text with how this was idiotic and she was making a mistake, and that we would not be going to the next family get together that was scheduled for the end of January (and that he would mail the birthday gifts for the SGS's instead) she told him not to bother, that they don't accept gifts from people they don't see, and that she will be blocking DH

DH & I are in a little bit of shock, and DH is pretty angry about this

This is not the fist time that OSD has cut us out of her life. Back when she was a teenager and decided she didn't like me (was jealous of the relationship between DH & I) she gave DH an ulimation that he had to dump me, or she would walk out of his life. She didn't feel she needed any reason why, simply that as his daughter she should be important enough to dictate that, and that I was after all just his SO, not nearly the same importance in his life as his daughter

When DH didn't bow down to her demand, and asked her instead to learn to accept the relationship he had with me, she did cut us out of her life for a few years. Not completely as we did see her at DH's family events, but she would not step foot in our house and on the occasions we saw her at those events she was pretty openly hostile

Back then it was so stressful, I felt that I should just leave DH to make her happy/reunite their family, but it was DH who insisted that she would do this to whomever he was with, that it was more about them then about me

Which I 100% agree with

This time round, it is even more stressful as now DH's grandkids are at stake

DH & I ended up talking about it this evening. We both agree that they OSD and SIL have crossed the line with all the BM nonsense, that we have boundaries as well and that this reaction to DH simply standing up for us is way overboard and way out of line. 

I mentioned to DH that I feel, once again, that this is all about me and that although I did nothing to cause it becuase of me he is once again dealing with OSD walking out of his life, and this time roiund taking the grandkids with her

DH emphasized that again, this has nothing to do with me personally, that OSD would have done this to whomever was in his life, that the issue is between them

DH also has repeatedly said he blames SIL for this, that she is the instigator and has always played these nasty games

It amazes me how much SIL has meddled in DH's life, she is so out of line, and has caused so many problems! 

Anyway, it is what it is and DH's attitude at this point is that it will be very hard for him to get past, but he will work thoiugh it

It's taking everything in my fibre not to drive to OSD's house and give her a real-time, face to face, piece of my mind. What a major piece of work she is

Oh and don't get me started on SIL

Booboobear's picture

Well, wait, a min, we already know whats going to happen if you go give OSD a piece of your mind.  

they are going to act like you are the prob.

We already know whats going to happen when they cut of DH out of gkids lives.... years are going to go by and no one is going to talk to no one (like in my SD's case)

whats the only thing left?  for you to leave DH and tell him to fix this.     what would happen then?  would they be DH's best friend? would dh be best friends with gkids?  would sd's manipulate?  would BM be forced on DH?  would Dh have a voice?  would DH be happy?  what would happen.

I only ask this because of the butterfly effect.  It screws up each way that I do it.  I dont know what is the right way to do it.  its going to be screwed each way.  Its not you.  Its them.  They are screwed up.  there is no way for you to fix this

Jcksjj's picture

This is true. Dealing with people that thrive on conflict is a losing situation no matter what because they want the drama to continue, not a peaceful resolve.

Disillusioned's picture

That's exactly how I'm feeling right now Boo....I think you hit the nail on the head!

Rags's picture

I would nail SIL’s ass to the wall.  Let DH deal with his daughter.

This is such a shitty situation for you and DH to have to deal with but it is awesome that your are a team in all of this.

Booboobear's picture

I told my DH this is happening to you, he said that already happened to him and If It was him again, he would say good, now I dont have to have anything to do with that bratty kid.  especially after what she did to my wife. 

Rags's picture

Lol. A turn of phrase.  What I mean is the OP should keep the pressure in SIL, keep SIL’s ass bare on her toxic manipulative BM centric family subversive crap and make SIL stand in public in front of the family to face the consequences for her manipulative backstabbing  of her brother and  his wife.

sammigirl's picture

Wait until the perfect time; you meet her face to face, in the hallway and quietly whisper; "if you don't knock this crap off now and forever, I will rip your head off and pi$$ down your wind pipe.  I am not threatening you, I am promising you this will happen."  Look her straight in the eye, stay calm, and have a very firm whisper about an inch from her nose.  

I wouldn't waste my time myself.  She is not worth it, but if you decide to handle it, do it soon and end the crap.  If this doesn't end it, go for it. 

When I put a stop to it all, I didn't say much, I went into instinctive action.

sandye21's picture

Just LOVED it!  LOL LOL  Good for your DH for supporting you calling B.S..  I agree with Rags.  DH needs to nail sadistic SIL.  Who cares if she leaves and crawls under a rock forever.  Neither you or DH needs that kind of B.S. in your life.  If SD wants to stay away for a while that's OK too.  You can not allow people like that to bring such negativity into your marriage.  If they don't want to practice mutual respect you don't need them in your life.

still learning's picture

So awful of SD to use her kids to hurt their grandfather.  I will never understand why parents will remove a loving supportive family member from their childrens lives over something stupid.  It sounds like this "punishment" will carry on for years so DH has to make a decision. Will he mope and beg to be in her good graces the entire time or will he loving reach out now and then but continue on with his life? 

tog redux's picture

SIL and OSD are both toxic, and as Booboobear said above, there is no way to fix this.  If you leave so he can see his kids, then he's giving in to extortion and will need to run his dating choices by his daughter for the rest of his life to avoid a repeat of this. If he doesn't give in, she will use her children as pawns and keep them away from him.  He just has to decide which of those he can live with more easily.

My guess is that DH's mother has some of these toxic traits? And she created SIL, plus DH went on to marry someone much like his mother and SIL - BM. Now his daughter is just following in their footsteps.

My SS19 has been off and on alienated for the last 4 years - when he comes back into DH's life, he inevitably gets mad because DH says something father-like (about his grades or something), and he disappears again.  I told DH that I think the only way he can have SS in his life is if he doesn't parent him, and can he live with that? He said - I don't think I can.

But plenty of people do live with toxic children extorting them for the rest of their lives.  My mother is 84 and in a Senior Living place, and one of the other residents has never seen her great-granddaughter because neither her daughter or granddaughter will let her. Daugher is toxic and comes in and out of her mother's life, using her kids and grandkids as pawns.  It's sad, and I can't imagine why this woman puts up with it, but that's the impossible choice that she took.

Lndsy747's picture

Together your posts always stand out because your story is so much like my own. I've told SO the last 2 times SD has come back to stop trying to be her patent and just enjoy having a relationship and focus on just having a relationship with her. He just can't do it though he wants to help/fix her.

I think the key in pretty much all of these alienation stories is no matter what method you try the alienated/toxic child is going to find something you've done wrong and use it as an excuse to leave.

OP do what makes you and DH happy and don't worry about walking on eggshells to maintain a relationship with people who don't deserve you in their life.

tog redux's picture

Yes, agreed, it's going to happen one way or the other, so do what you can live with.  If DH wants to be SS's parent, I respect that - he isn't bowing down to the pressure to be his pal, like BM is. (But he wants to fix SS, too, and it ain't going to happen). SS needs a parent, whether he accepts that or not.

Disillusioned's picture

Yes Tog that is sad...and I'm sad also that your DH & you are also dealing with this type of situation! 

sammigirl's picture

Ugh! The games people play.  My SD57 has played these games since I have known her (39) years.

I have NEVER responded to my narcisstic grown STEPKIDS.  Yes, they also played the grandkids games.  We never chased it.  It is their life, let them roll in the mud.  You wash up, move forward.  You will have a good day.   

As soon as you stop chasing your SD, she will run back to Daddy.  If she is like my SD, she won't be able to know what you two are enjoying without her.  With this said, she will never like you, but  you can live with that.

Sorry you have to deal with her.   Set a good example for your grandchildren by your actions.

disrestep's picture

Sometimes it is hard to not want to put these hateful adult skids in their place and defend yourself and your DH. I believe someone mentioned that doing this would make the haters make it out to be that you are the problem. I would suggest not saying anything to SD and SIL unless you have to and let your DH deal with them.

My DH and I get treated similar by the hateful adult steps. This past holiday, the adult steps didn't contact DH for XMas, thanksgiving, New Years, his bday. They are playing the same game with my DH, especially Adult SD of withholding the gskids from DH, because Daddeee isn't doing what YSD, YSS and OSS want. 

What makes DH different is that he doesn't seem to care. He doesn't dote on the gskids, as gskids are being taught to ignore me and who knows what else. We don't go to events with gskids, where DH and I are going to be put in a situation where adult steps and certain inlaws can treat us like idiots. I have a couple of inlaws who don't like me also. 

It seems withholding gskids from the bio grandparent, who has remarried, is a common, hateful tactic used by adult skids who want to manipulate their parent into doing whatever they want. It is sad for those grandparents who let their lives revolve around the gskids and have no life of their own.

why not plan a nice trip for you and DH? Even day trips. Do what you loved to do before the gskids. Don't let bully adult SD ruin your lives or marriage over gskids. She may just still want to break up your marriage. Don't trust her, she sounds like a very nasty person.

good luck going forward.

tog redux's picture

Yes, I always wonder about this, too. I do get feeling sad about missing out on grandkids, but not the part about making them the center of the universe.  DH's family hasn't seen SS19 in 4 years. My MIL asks about him, but she doesn't sit around moping because she can't see him.

My DH loves his alienated son, but not seeing him does not make or break his happiness.  It's a sad situation, but you have to pull yourself up and find happiness in the rest of your life.

I also agree with dontfeedthetrolls about sending cards and gifts to them on special occasions.

Disillusioned's picture

Thanks disrestep...good input and good ideas. and would certainly provide a distraction from all the negativity!

Dontfeedthetrolls's picture

I would still send polite cards to mark special events. They may get returned but it stops any chance of “you abandoned us” by leaving the door cracked without putting much out there.

This has nothing to do with you and if you were to leave him both of you would be miserable. Any person willing to behave this way under these conditions would still find a reason to behave this way. If it wasn’t you it would be him not spending enough on birthdays or some other petty stupid thing.  

Survivingstephell's picture

Life is a journey and this is only the next chapter is this drama.  Just because she walked away right now, doesn't mean she won't be back.  DH finally stood up for himself and changed the game.  This is an unfolding of a new way, not the end.  

I would reccomend DH have his will nice and tight so you aren't stuck with any drama from either one of those women.   Last thing you need if something happens to DH.  

Meanwhile enjoy your peace.  Its been hard won and worth celebrating, even if its only here.  Cheers!

Willow2010's picture

Yep…I think remember this poster.  And if I recall correctly, her DH is a pretty big jerk to his sister and cause drama over tiny things all the time.  I remember one time he made a GIANT issue out of a bottle of water that SIL got out of the fridge and did not offer him a bottle or something to that nature.  (If I have the right poster. Lol) 

It sucks that SIL and BM are friends but it is what it is.  But DH cannot control what his sister talks about.  She was telling everyone about her night and DH told her to “park it”  If my bro would have done that to me, I would have told him to shove it up is ass and that I will talk about my night if I want to. 

My guess is that skid is tired of watching her dad flip out all the time over his EX wife, his sister or his new wife.  I would guess that it is like walking on egg shells around him.  

Disillusioned's picture

You have a very selective memory Willow

And that is of course not at all what happened

And the only drama that day was SIL throwing a fit and literally slamming a bottle of water on the counter, during one of her (many) tantrums (nothing unusal for her)

But you are correct that these two women take total offence when DH stands up for his wife - this is what jealous insecure people do

Oh and give ultimatums when their tantrums don't get the results they want 

notasm3's picture

SS34's GF went that route with DH when he wouldn't "make me behave" - ie let them use my vacation home after their ransacked our primary home while we were on vacation.  I've just 100% written them off.

DH just ignored it.  SS comes back saying how much he wants DH to be in his son's life.  As I see none of them I have no clue how much time DH actually spends with the child, but I do know that he sees him.

SacrificialLamb's picture

Your situation parallels mine in so many ways....the SD who uses the sgkids as pawns, the SIL on the periphery with her sermons about the importance of family... (although everyone is supposed to go visit her - the roads don't go both ways).

The good thing is that you and your DH are on the same page. It was something seemingly minor that made your SD freak out and proclaim she was out of your lives. 

There really is nothing else you can do. Your DH can decide he wants to put up with his daughter's childishness or have  a life.  

My DH got sick of his middle aged children's behavior, they are punishing him because he dared to choose a life outside of the Original Family, but I am not sure he even notices. From his viewpoint, they are adults, he is having a good time in retirement. 

Just ignore the big baby; she will be back begging shortly when she sees she is having no effect. 

Focused_onourlife's picture

I can second this with the exception of GSkids, a SIL and retirement. My OSD26 has punished and came crawling back a many times. A year, after my disengagement (removing myself as a target for SD) my DH disengaged 1.5 years later also, he realized his DD is damaged (PAS'D) and he'd rather enjoy his life with the family that loves and appreciates him, including our bk's and ysd.

Our DS10 broke his forearm on OSD's birthday.  Crazy thing is, our DD16 asked us, at the hospital if We've called OSD to wish her a "Happy b-day" my DH (sadly) hasn't remembered and had not called her. Our ODS19 called when he got home from work to make sure it was OSD b-day, when we were on our way back home, I advised it was. 10 mins later OSD calls DH to ask about the injury of BS10. Remember we were told we will never hear from or see her ever again, she was definitely calling DH at 10:30pm to check on our BS but more so to 'force ' a b-day wish for the first time ever from him to her. And we had gotten back to the house before their call ended and he left the room. I didn't ask or he didn't share if he actually wished her day. I know for a fact SD was wanting her day to be acknowledged  (as this was new behavior from my DH to her) but he's honoring her wishes and tired of her constant drama/punishing him and/or us. Though they tried to patch things up a couple months go, she apparently found reasons to be mad her last visit with her Dad and has been punishing him again since.

OP, when your SD realizes she has bitten off her nose to spite her face she will up her antics or come correct,  only you will know the motive. Just protect YOURSELF from her toxcity. They either swim or sink but the joy is WE (as SP's) can entertain it or not. And more so, when you have a supportive DH and set boundaries, you will live your best life one way or the other. Best wishes!

Disillusioned's picture

Thanks Focused, and I hope your situation with your SD improves as well! Great advice!! 

Disillusioned's picture

Sacrificial, you couldn't have said it better! Yes I hope DH will get there emotionally. I do agree that OSD will come back somehow, when she sees her tactics aren't having any effect

The only time she actually 'seemingly' straightened out there for a while all those years back, was when we finally disengaged (forced upon us by her) and then when she ruled herself powerless to have any more control over us (since we finally gave her what she wanted and respected her choice to walk out of our life)

Seems we should do this very thing again, and focus on enjoying a drama-free life for once and for all Smile

LONGTIME SM's picture

In my experience SD will be back once she realizes her extortion attempt of removing herself and her children from your husbands life's is not generating the reaction she wants.  Not sure how long it will take but she will miss having you and H to use in generating her required drama.  

You or your husband will not need to do anything other than go on happily living your lives and poof her drama can again be yours! I suggest that you stay disengaged when she reappears as there will always be something that will set her off   

This same situation happend to us.  A few years later SD announced she was furious at me  because in her eyes I had been enjoying  not having to deal with her entirely too much.  Of course even though SD and her brother were the ones that stopped talking to H, she then attempted to turn it around to falsely accuse and blame me for her father not talking to her.  LOL.  

Let her.  I did and will just continue living my best life.  Over Ten years of blessed disengagement to date.  I think you will find that having the toxicity out of your life was a blessing she unwittingly gave you!   

shamds's picture

Sd doesn’t care about her kids at all, they’re just pawns in her manipulative games.

unless family are a physical threat to the grandkids, no adult should use kids as a manipulative pawn to guil and control people

these people have no respect for others

twoviewpoints's picture

Give it some time, Disillusioned. 

I'm not surprised there was lots of stressful moments in the gatherings and holidays this year for your family. This is all the 'first time without FIL' and I'm sure the adjustments have not been easy. FIL is kind of what held everyone civil an able to all function while the 'elephant in the room' so to say, quietly simmered on. 

Your SIL, as obnoxious as she is with all her dysfunction and issues, is also hurting and missing this year. She's basically alone. She has never built her own life. No real friends, no SO/DH, she has always spent her life living through other people (your family). Yeah, she's clinging to BM (her one non-related BFF) an OSD and your grandchildren because it's all she knows and has. She has always pitted herself in some left over jealousy/competition/rivalry with her brother... they've been at it since early childhood.  And the last few years she has been the designated primary care taker of FIL, taking him to appointments, social events, making sure he had what he needed blah blah. 

And with him now gone, yeah, she is clinging to all she has left. OSD and the grandkids. She was always invited and included while MIL and FIl lived, then when just FIL lived. Now with both gone I'm sure she fears no longer being included. I'm sure she was thrilled to death to still be invited and attend Christmas Eve at BM's... part of why SIL purchased a new home close to them all. It's all she has.

I'm also sure your Dh's short but very direct words to SIL at Christmas lunch upset her. He fed her fear. Very likely has been boo-hooing and the holiday blues to BM and OSD and here came big bad mean old brother to make her feel unwanted and misplaced. 

OSD now is 'punishing' her father with the one thing she has to punish him with. The grandkids. And it's not the first time she has kept the kids from her father and you.It'sjust the first time she has went so far as to indicate permanently. Give her some time and space. 

OSD is cycling and you know , if from no other place than here, that you can't reason with a crazy lady. Let her play out her cycle. Send the boy's gifts as you normally would give to them. call to speak to them occasionally (worst she can do is slam the phone down). Go about your and Dh's daily life, maybe even a short weekend get-away and try not to dwell on it. 

Disillusioned's picture

twoviewpoints, of course I agree with you...yes, great words of wisdom and very true. All of it. I do try to understand from both SIL and OSD's standpoint and have for many years, but at this point I'm just so done with it. You have summed things up very well though! 

MissTexas's picture

That’s a plus!

These emotionally stunted girls seem to all follow the sane playbook.

We recently had to attempt to create boundaries w SD, who’s a narcissist who’s never been told “NO” before. At our counselor’s & pastor’s urging, DH very kindly let her know it’s not acceptable for her to call them, as well as our close friends, in a smear campaign and whining about a decades old divorce (I didn’t cause it, I came years later). SD called back with venom in her voice and with a vengeance. It was quite the performance. Never once did she own her part, (calling everyone),but instead blamed me, projected her own character flaws onto  me (which DH knows I am not the things she said I was), and this 45 year old “woman” who’s been given everything, (DH has put all his kids through college and given them millions in debt-free real estate) has the nerve (stupidity?) to tell him when he’s ready to stand up to me and start being a father, then call, but until then he could “keep his crazy” because she wasn’t interested.

Ultimately she’s requiring  him to choose his wife or her. She’s behaving like a scorned lover. Geeze!

Bottom line, they all try to withhold their relationship/kids, whatever to hurt their fathers. That’s her choice and her problem. When she chose the behavior, she chose the consequence. They go hand in hand.

In our case, we are both ecstatic, as DH sees through her toxic BS. So I guess she can keep HER CRAZY, I’ll take DH.

sandye21's picture

"When she chose the behavior, she chose the consequence. They go hand in hand."  Going to keep that one in a special file for larer use when some do-gooder spouts off that "The children come first" or suggests 'introspection' or when people ask why I am disengaged from SD.  Thanks!

lala-land's picture

If SIL and OSD want to cut you and your DH out of their lives, then I say fan-bloody-tastic.  That is 2 less toxic people you will have to deal with.  Too bad SGS is caught up in this but that is the price you pay as a child when your parents make choices for you.  I would suggest you enjoy your interlude, however brief it might be, from dealing with these two bullies.  Once your OSD and SIL realize their tactics are not working, I suspect they will return and try a different approach, but at that point in time you get to set the rules of engagement or disengagement.

Booboobear's picture

anyway, where are you going to find a nail long enough to go all the way through an ass and then also into a wall. and what about all the blood from the nail.