You are here

O/T - traveling with a newborn

SMof2Girls's picture

First of all, I'm pregnant! YAYYY!!! Biggrin Confirming with doc and all next week, but I've tested positive on about a dozen HPTs so far.

Second of all, my due date will be around July 7.

Third, I'm supposed to be my sister-in-law's maid of honor in her wedding .. on August 8 .. on the opposite coast.

Now, I've done some reading and the info is split. While most people say it's perfectly safe for a baby to travel via airplane for 6 hours, others advise against it (discomfort, risk of germs/sickness, exhaustion, etc). I can't imagine the flight would be enjoyable, but baby's grandparents will all be on the west coast and this would also be their first opportunity to meet him/her. Leaving the baby and going alone is not an option.

I'm leaning on staying home. DH can go with the skids (who are slated as flower girls). However, I feel kinda bad. I know she'll understand, but I do WANT to go. Well, I want to go now; I'm sure that will change once baby is here.

SMof2Girls's picture

DH doesn't want me to go .. or baby. I don't think he even really wants to go. There will pressure from his mother, but I don't really care.

I lean towards staying home as well .. I don't mind if DH still goes with skids; in fact I think he SHOULD go. I have lots of family nearby that can help out for a long weekend if needed while he's away.

SMof2Girls's picture

Not a chance I'd leave the baby. And that's the same thing I debated with DH (not argued, he doesn't want me to go either).

July 7 due date does not mean baby will come ON July 7. Also doesn't mean labor/delivery will be textbook easy either. Lots of unknowns and factors .. and too much money to invest in tickets that I may or may not use.

OptimisticMe's picture

I have a newborn...hospital now recommends keeping babies out of public places until they are 6-8 wks old to keep them away from germs. I would stay home with baby! Congratulations!

SanAntonioSoccerMom's picture

Congrats!!

I flew across the Atlantic (from Frankfurt to the Midwest) with a newborn. No problems, he slept the entire time!!

zerostepdrama's picture

I had my BS on July 4th and was the MOH in my BF's wedding on July 30. Now I didnt have to travel across the country on the plane (2 1/2 hour car ride) but I did travel. My BS was really good. I had an easy delivery, so I think that helped. BS was at the wedding.

Do whatever makes you feel comfortable.

Congrats on the pregnancy!