OT - Forn Friday
'Forn' is 'food' and 'p0rn' combined.
Summer is a time of year when there are a lot of outdoor gatherings, barbecues, and picnics. With the soaring temperatures, I prefer lighter foods over the heavy, filling comfort foods of Fall and Winter (chili, stew, homemade rolls, etc....). You never know when you're going to get a last minute invitation to an impromptu picnic (Heikki caught a TON of fish so we're having a party!). Here is a recipe that is ready to eat as soon as you make it. (Yes, I did post this on Tone-up Tuesday.)
Tomato Avocado Cucumber Salad
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes (I used cherry tomatoes, both red and sunburst)
- larger tomatoes, chop in 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 ripe avocados, cubed
- 1 small cucumber, sliced
- 1/4 small red onion, sliced (or less, if strong)
- 6-8oz feta cheese crumbles
- 1/4 cup minced cilantro or parsley
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- In a large salad, place the tomatoes, avocado, onion, cucumber, feta, and cilantro/parsley.
- Drizzle with olive oil, lime juice, pepper flakes, and salt & pepper to taste. Gently toss.
- Serve immediately or cover with plastic wrap in the refrigerator for up to 2 hours.
BONUS: I had enough leftover to "spread" on a turkey and swiss on pumpernickel sammich. DELISH!!!
What's your favorite last-minute recipe?