You are here

No social media but a YouTube channel?

Biostep7777's picture
Forums: 

HCBM and DH have not allow their kids to have social media. Youngest SS comes over and all of a sudden has a YouTube channel! What? Did she discuss this with DH? Well of course not! She never discusses anything with him. Unbelievable. 

tog redux's picture

Remember - she will never co-parent, and you need to pick your battles. It's not reasonable to assume that what DH wants to happen at his home will happen in hers - once people are divorced, they may no longer agree on things like social media.

Personally, I don't think it's realistic or wise to try to keep kids away from social media and youtube - once they are old enough, it's better to teach them to use it responsibly. Forbidding it just makes it more attractive, and they will find a way to do in secret.  Just my two cents.

Biostep7777's picture

Oh I get it! It's just crazy to me because she's always been the one completely against social media and DH was fine with with them not having it since she was sooooo against it. Then she all of a sudden is okay with this?? It's just weird. 

I agree with you. My kids have social media and we have rules around it and we monitor everything. 

tog redux's picture

BM here did that with video games with SS. She was against them until she realized they were a really effective bribe for SS to want to live with her. DH allowed them on the computer with limits,  but wouldn't allow him to use the handheld ones because he just got absorbed in them.  BM capitalized on that and SS played video games all the time.  By high school he was playing them all night (we could see his public Steam profile). 

DH is a gamer himself so he hoped to teach SS how to moderate - nope.