You are here

Biology of Blended Familes and thank you!

stbsdbasket's picture

Let's face it-blending families is tough. But the basic bottom line is that issues will arise. We are trying to get along with a genetic half of a child that your new love couldn't get along with their other biological parent.
If behavior problems, drugs, laziness were an issue with the other parent-it more than likly will arise in the child. If it's not genetics at the very least it is what the child is exposed to and is allowed to get away with.
So what can we do? We try to lead with a positive example, give love and understanding. I for one, loved both of my step-parents as a child. They were great. I wish I could be more like them sometimes.
Times are differant now, kids, even in the home with both biological parents, have more issuses facing them now than most of us did a generation or two ago.
I am thankful for this post/board. My feelings and thoughts about what I am going through are now validated-thanks to all of your replys. At the very least I don't feel guilty for feeling the way I do. The "You don't understand what they are going through" or "Just wait until your kids are teenagers/aduluts. etc."
Here we can support eachother and have soliace in that bad behavior is just that-bad.
Thank you, thank you, thank you for your support.

Everyone makes mistakes, it's what you do afterwards that counts.