You are here

I am back with good news!

wicked step mother's picture

I haven't been on the site for a while. I re-read some of my posts after being away for about a week and I was shocked . I realized after seeing all the BS I have put up with for years that I HAD no choice but to make a change if I was ever going to be happy so here's what I did. I left my husband after telling him in no uncertain terms that IF and WHEN he wanted to have a mature relationship that was fair to everyone involved I would consider comtinuing our marriage. I told him he had 10 days to think it over and get back to me, BUT he had better be certain of what he wanted before he gave me an answer because I would insist on intense family counseling and his kids would have to be involved in that. Well here I am 4 months later and....
I have a good realtionship with my husband AND a respectful tolerable relationship with his kids! After the first month The counselor looked at my husband and asked "what the hell is wrong with you?". He agreed that my stepsons were egotistical and actually he referred to the younger one a "maniacal"! He told hubby and them that I should get an award for tolerating such behavior and that hubby should laern that telling children(even adult ones)NO is a way to set boundaries and help them grow. Hmmm think Imentioned once to two hundred times.And he called those two boys out on everything! I almost felt sorry for them when he got done with them. I thought for sure I would be divorced as I write this , I thought that hubby would say the counselor was biased against him and his kids as he had once before BUT nope. He got it!!! and we sat down and wrote out a mission staement for our marriage and how to handle the kids and he has stuck to it like glue! Mind you the youngest son has only called twice since then BUT he did come for Christmas and when my hubby saw him manipulting a situation to make me look bad he stood up and told his son to lighten up or leave soemthing he( the son ) had been told in counseling. He actually became tolerable for the rest of the night! So Happy Ending for me. My husband actually said to me last week how happy and proud he he was that I stuck to my guns and "fixed" our family. Bottom line is that I was prepared to move on to a place that I could find happiness if that was what I needed to do. Moral of this story fot those of you struggling through this Quagmire of Step parenting is that by teaching people how to treat you you are doing them just as much benefit as yourself, bacuase boundaries are something everyone should respect. Period. I am glad to be back here and hoepfully my experience will serve as a sign of HOPE for others , Thanks for all your support before. Love you guys!!!

wicked step mother's picture

It was one of the scariest things I have ever done. I am 50 so staring over at my age wasn't a very happy thought but when you look around you and see no sunshine or happiness in your life or future let me tell you that's a BIG motivator. I thought at least if I am alone I have a chance to be happy! in my old situation there was no chance of that. Took me a long time to realize that you can sacrifice yourself for other people to the point where YOU disappear. And that there are people who would be fine with doing that to you. YIKES! It saddens me that some fathers don't see that. Our counselor said it's because men see thier children as extensions of themselves, like a limb. They need to realize that eventually these kids have to function in an adult world and how can they do that if they don't have respect for anyone and can manipulate. I t hasn't worked that way for my youngest SS. He is learning the hard way because his father didn't step up when he was young. Okay I am rambling on so Thanks again for all the love and support.

belleboudeuse's picture

This is AWESOME! Wow, I want to copy and paste this as a response to every blog from a woman who's being treated like crap but doesn't have the strength to put her foot down.

GO YOU! YOU ROCK!!!!

BB

You are not second best, you are not second class. Do not ever let anyone make you feel that way. - 2BLoved

Selkie's picture

Score one for the good guys!

You sound like an amazingly strong woman. I'm so so happy this worked out for you!

stepmom008's picture

Good for you! That's what being a strong woman is all about Smile

"There are two things over which you have complete dominion, authority, and control over - your mind and your mouth".

TheWife's picture

I am so glad for you! Yay you!!

~*~When you kiss ass, your breath smells like sh*t~*~

onehappygirl's picture

That is wonderful, WONDERFUL news!! I'm very happy for you.

Love me or hate me, I'm still gonna shine!!!

JMC's picture

Good for you! It's awesome to hear there ARE positive endings out there - thanks for such an uplifting story!

Shannon61's picture

Excellent news. Your story is an inspiration to all steps and a reminder that life is about choices. Either you chose to continue dealing with BS or you don't. You took action which caused DH's reaction and now you're the victor! I wish you all the best in the future, and thanks for sharing your story.

soverysad's picture

I am so happy you stuck up for yourself. It is a risk. You took it and you got a major payoff!! I think anyone who is dealing with a dh who allows his kids to be totally disrespectful and control the marriage should put it all on the line. What do they really have to lose? Like you said, you were all ready miserable. Kudos

"A pessimist complains about the wind, an optimist counts on the wind changing, a realist adjusts his sails"