You are here

Boy, I am in Shock I tell you, Shock

shes driving me crazy in my retirement's picture

Could Twit be really turning over a new leaf? We have run into her at a few auctions and she actually has been nice! Honestly, it is probably more scarey than when she was doing the Twit thingy as I knew from whence she was coming and operating.

All of a sudden she is calling me Mom, asking if she can help carry things I won back to my car. And, this is the weirdest, she and her husband actually took DH and I out for a hamburger at the sports bar! Not only that, they picked up the TAB!

Twit sent me a Mothers Day card which also surprised me, but pleased DH all to pieces.

I told my DD about this totally different change. Her response was to watch my back, she is after something.

Has any one ever experienced a SD doing a complete 180 degree turn around?

Sign me - numb at her behavior.

step off already's picture

Very interesting.

Maybe that thing has happened. You know, that mystical day when Skid realizes everything you've done for them and becomes thankful and appreciative? Maybe?

twopines's picture

She wants something. Either she wants something material from you and/or DH, or she wants to prove to someone she's not as horrible as that person thinks. Definitely watch your back.

My own SD28 has slowly but surely been doing a 180 regarding her attitude toward me. It's nice that she's being nice, but I'm still aloof.

Twopines - You have an excellent point there about proving to someone that she isn't as bad as that person thinks. And that person is her father who, after reading a real nasty letter she wrote me, raised all kinds of heck with her about it.

Perhaps she is seeking daddy's approval and she wants him back on her side. Believe me, it won't take much for DH to start believing her again and telling me I was wrong again. Sad

Twopines - You have an excellent point there about proving to someone that she isn't as bad as that person thinks. And that person is her father who, after reading a real nasty letter she wrote me, raised all kinds of heck with her about it.

Perhaps she is seeking daddy's approval and she wants him back on her side. Believe me, it won't take much for DH to start believing her again and telling me I was wrong again. Sad

Amber Miller's picture

My lovely SD sent daddy-kins a birthday card. He said "oh princess sent me such a nice card for my birthday". I looked at it later. It was a blank card that said nothing other than "happy birthday" and she signed her name. It wasnt even a birthday card; it was yellow with flowers (great choice for a dad. Must have been something she found lying around her house). Wow, what a nice card (sarcastic). All his other cards had nice things personally written in it but of course, princesses card was the most special. Funny how these spoiled, entitled brats do the bare minimum and their daddies act like they sent them a million dollars. Disgusting
Oh yeah, my kids made him handmade cards and wrote personal messages inside thanking him for being "the best step-dad in the world" (my 14 year old really wrote these exact words). Now that is special but of course nothing could top princesses generic waste of a piece of paper.

20YearsAsAStep-Mom's picture

I think she is up to something honestly. I wouldn't trust her one bit. Enjoy her being nice, but don't let your guard down.

She lost control and wants it back in my opinion.

Take care.

Newimprvmodel's picture

I agree with the above. Maybe your dh getting ill in the ER made her question what's going to happen when he dies, as in who gets what? Be cautious!!

You hit on the head what I am thinking. She wants something BIG TIME. Or she is trying to weasel into my estate which isn't ever going to happen.

I know that when she told DH and I she needed to know what we had and where things were so when we passed on she could handle things, I told her off that was none of her business where my estate is concerned. I also told her that my daughter already knows that stuff. She actually had the audacity to ask me back in April if I ever comingled my money with her father or if we still had separate accounts!

DH may have given her the details of his situation. Thus she may be aware of who has what and is buttering me up.

Justme54's picture

Trap is the word. OSS sent DH and I a wedding gift over a year after we got married. WTF! He hit DH up for money for wedding rehearsal....also...will cost $2000 for room and plane tickets. The money he said he owned DH...I know you have GAVE ME MONEY IN THE PAST. WTF!! WHAT HAPPEN TO I WILL PAY IT BACK. Hw been living with this woman for years and will be 35 in November. SORRY SOB IN MY BOOK.

LONGTIME SM's picture

I agree with old one. My SD pretended for years. I felt it and always assumed she was tolerating me. Then h's parents pass away and the real SD emerged. Not pretty. My motto now -always go with your gut feeling and go ahead and play her cause she is playing you!

sterlingsilver's picture

stay on guard! Ss19 does this too, nice smile and then the big hand goes into the cookie jar. lol

hereiam's picture

One word. Inheritance.

And I agree with "go with your gut". What does your gut say? You know her better than we do.

The thing is, it doesn't matter if she fools you, is she fooling your DH?

oldone's picture

I know she is not fooling you.

But I seriously would play with her mind about the inheritance crap.

Oldone, that could be real fun and send her off the deep end, which isn't too far at any given time for her.

After all the carp I have put up with for years I am going to enjoy this, but I still am not going back to giving her gifts, tokens from when we travel, etc. That is still her father's problem, not mine.

Well, after pondering this awhile I think I might have some insight as to what is going on with Twit. First, having disengaged from her and not giving a ratz arse about her, to which she flew into tantrums with me and tried to rattle me etc., she has gotten the message that I am not putting up with bad behavior et. al.

Secondly, it has to be the inheritance thing. Especially since her husband's father passed away in early April and they are now getting around to diving up His father's estate. So, she is probably looking forward to the future (hoping it will come faster no doubt). Greedy is the word.

When I talked about how shocked I was that they took us out for hamburgers at the Sports Bar and picked up the tab, you have to know that we have been down here over 2 1/2 years and that has never ever happened before! Generally, DH picks up the tab if we went somewhere and that got real old real fast. Needless to say, DH is totally thrilled about this change in her. He keeps telling me that I had her wrong, that, see, she really likes me and cares about me. Oh how easy he is to believe what he wants to believe. My concern is this is going to put his seeing Twit for what she is, back a great deal.

She still scares me, even more so now, because she is, IMHO, a psycho. One just never knows what is going to set her off. Narcisistic, boarder line and flat out mean. You can bet I will keep my guard up. Leopards don't change their spots.

hereiam's picture

I just think this is really sad. I hope my dad spends all of his money and enjoys himself while he is alive.

sandye21's picture

Considering Twit's record, I'd be a bit vigilant. This reminds me of walking in a land mine. Treat her nice if she treats you nice but keep your boundaries in mind.

Amber Miller's picture

These daddies can never seem to give up hope and see their evil spawns for what they are. Everytime they seem like they are coming around and admitting that their rotten daughters are trouble, something happens that restores their hope. I guess its easy for me to say this as my children do not act like the step-$k@nk. But seriously, I see my kids for who they are and they most certainly are not perfect. The key is to see the child for who they are and admit to their faults. This way, as a parent, I can help my children work on the areas where they need to improve so they can grow to be functional adults. In the case of these SD's, I guess their dads just don't want to see it; this leads to a lot of denial and enabling. Its sad; due to the enabling, these daughters are emotional cripples. They will never change. I think this is what happened to Twit. These dads are doing their daughters a dis-service by coddling and babying them.

Whimsey, you hit upon a real concern of mine. DH was making such progress in seeing Twit for what she was through her actions to both me and him. Now, this "new leaf" has him thrilled that he had her wrong, etc.

Me, heck, I was ready to leave over Twit back in 2011....I had had enough in insults and bad gifts meant to hurt etc. Also with DH telling me that I should turn the other cheek, etc. My health suffered and I certainly don't want to go back to that type of situation again. I am very, very concerned.

Psychos like Twit are always looking for an angle to play, a way to get at one and I fear this "new leaf" is no exception.

Towanda's picture

My SD32 was nice to me one birthday. Turned over a new leaf. Actuallly came to the lake with her hubby and brought me a present etc. I think her hubby talked her into that approach. Well, it was probably a year and a half later that her old self came back out and she wrote in one of vile spews how she had "paid" for a birthday present for me. I almost sent her a check to reimburse her for it. Really hurt my feelings but that was the old me. I wouldn't trust her again as far as I could throw her.

Narcissists need adoring feed. When they aren't getting it from you, they will turn on you and throw you back in the "discard" pile.

You can just enjoy it for the moment knowing it won't last and have a good chuckle when she loses it again. Your feeling won't be hurt anymore. Your hubby on the other hand will probably swallow it hook , line and sinker.

Hi Towanda - Do you think this is what can happen when a narcissist isn't getting her fix from a person? That they try to worm back into your good graces so that they can get their fix and needs met?

It might not be about wanting to be nice to me at all. It might be because her Daddy had pretty well told her off because of what she wrote to me before and how she had been acting towards him.

And, I can probably bet that when she does go off the deep end again all hell is going to pay on me.

Actually, knowing her makes me uncomfortable with her being nice right now. It is just not normal behavior for her.

Could this possibly be part of the escalation that someone like Twit would do from my disengaging?

ltman's picture

Towanda is right. I deal with the same type of stepbitch. Never let your guard down and never put anything past her.

Donnadreams's picture

Wink Look, if she has an agenda, let her have one. Enjoy the niceties that she is doing, but stay viligent. She will have to prove herself. You be gracious, as always, and make her prove to you that she's grown up!

Oh yeah, it isn't taking long at all to find out what the Twitster is after.....MONEY!

Last time I was around her we were at an estate auction in an area of historic homes that cost big bucks. She started bragging about how she COULD easily afford one of them. Yeah, right. That is why she lives in an area where she has a nice, moderate home, that looks across the street at dumpster living conditions - rusted trailers, etc. In fact, she was saying how PROUD she was that the taxable value on her property had gone down and how they got cheaper property taxes. The fool doesn't realize that property taxes ONLY go down when the property value goes down. She then claimed that the county made a mistake in the property assessment of her property. I sincerely doubt that. County assessors KNOW what areas are declining and what areas are maintaining their value. And, let's face it, if you have a decent, not anything special house surrounded by a slum in an area where the school has closed, the post office is closing and the small branch bank is pulling out in 2014, and has no shopping at all, not even a gas station, one is in a losing area.

Seems that in the last few years, the house they bought for around $135,000 went up, but, and this is very telling, is now only assessed with a FMV at around $60,000. But then Twitster has also let her house go. It needs the plastic shutters painted, the yard spruced up, the house freshened up, etc. She has a 2 story house of the type that was typically built in the mid to late 1970's. Nothing special. But seeing that as you drive through the town to get to it you see nothing but falling apart shacks, old homes not well taken care of etc., and in her area the lots across from her were sold and the people put in trailers, or those prefab homes that bolt together and in the past few years those are starting to look, well, not well kept up. She is going to lose money there no matter what the market does. No one who would want a house like hers wants to live in the midst of caois and trash.

As to her affording a million dollar home.....no way.

Oh, when she told me that they could afford one of those historic million dollar homes, I told her to go for it. Trust me, that won't be happening as she is, as usual, full of carp.

Can you imagine what those ladies would think having someone like Twit in their midst pushing her pots and pans parties all the time?

emotionaly beat up's picture

Her narcissist charm is showing. They turn it on an off like a faucet. She possibly felt her strangle hold on daddy was slipping. Her niceness towards you is not about you. It is about snowing daddy, getting him to put her back up on a pedestal,and of course give her back her power. I'm sure your husband is just thrilled to be proved right, his daughter is a lovely, caring, kind and considerate youn woman. You imagined it all. The spider is spinning it's web, daddy is being sucked right back in and that is what she is after here.

Towanda's picture

EBU is so right. Hopefully, DH won't take the bait as easily anymore. I know my DH wised up eventually!

I certainly hope so, but that isn't what is happening. He is just thrilled, thrilled I tell you, about what Twits latest angle is. DH is telling me that, see, you had her all wrong. Oh brother, this is not going well.

Did I ever tell you guys how, we were at the same auction and DH bought, after checking to see if SIL would help us bring it back to our house with his truck, a table and chairs for our 3 season room. It was stifling hot that day, in the 90's with high humidity. Anyway, SIL is a good guy and agreed to do so. He would drop their items off and come back to help us out.

Well, we waited, and waited, and waited out in that hot sun for several hours. This even though Twit lives only 5 miles away from this auction site. When they showed up, she bragged about how she just had to take a shower because it was so hot to cool down, and had to do some shopping, etc. She could have cared less that her father was out sitting in that hot sun waiting for her. She has no concern for anyone but herself. You can bet if the shoe was on the other foot, DH and I would have dropped our stuff off and gone back right away for them. Taking a shower can wait as can the shopping. BTW, we didn't have any water or anything to drink because we didn't expect them to be gone that long. Oh, she also stated that she was feeling like she was the mover for the family. Believe me, that is not so, this was the first, and will be the last time I ever allow DH to ask her to help us haul anything. Twit likes to take, but doesn't like to give.

Twit knows her father, DH, has asthma bad and has a hard time in the heat and humidity with breathing. She just didn't give a ratz arse. Not only that, but DH had told SIL and Twit before they left to take their stuff back, that he would take them out for dinner for helping us out! I remember DH had a pretty hard time for a few days after being out in that heat/humidity (we were under a tree waiting) for that time. Twit don't care. I really feel that the sooner DH is in the ground the happier she will be as she is looking for $$$. What she really wants is for me to go first because she thinks she will get in on my inheritance.

Hi MamaC - She was told, by her father. Twits response? Oh well. She doesn't care and seems to just love being a jerk to other people.

Nope, it didn't phase Twit at all when she left us sitting, waiting out in the hot sun for hours. After all, the way she sees it, and told DH, SHE was doing him a favor by helping us move the furniture DH had purchased! That she FELT he thought she was the family furniture movers! What a snide remark.

This from the Twit that has no problem asking us for favors, dog sit, go let the dogs out, etc. That doesn't seem to matter that DH drives 18 miles round trip to do this for her. She, in her twisted little mind, deserves it. And never a word of thanks from her. Guess she thinks H and I are the family dog sitters for her.....not me. Not only that, but when she use to drop off the one dog (the one that got shot because she let it run loose) she wouldn't show up when she said she would to pick the pooch up. Told me once, when I told her that she should call us if she was going to be late, that she saw no reason to do so, after all we were retired and had nothing better to do!!!! Never forgot that one, H and I were enrolled in a senior water exercise class that we missed because of Twit's inconsiderateness.

Yet, Twit is always looking for something for free.

Talked to DH and he said they were gone for an extended weekend (yep, left H on his own to watch the dogs for them). You know, and this is something that sticks in my craw, when I travel I always bring something back for those I love. When my Mom was alive I always brought something nice back for her, and my daughter as well. I use to do this for Twit until the end of 2011 when I had enough.

Do you know that she travels a lot as well and never, ever has she brought us back so much as a tee shirt. Yet, she expects, expects, expects and thinks only of herself.

NoraAstepmom's picture

I wouldn't give that twit a thing after the way she has treated you all these years. that's like rewarding her behavior.

This has all turned to sh#@. There is another post by she's driving me that will give you the updates.

I blew up at twit and DH is upset with me, is I think the title.

Poor SDM has had a horrible outcome from this. Hopefully she comes out wiser and stronger for the experience, but at the moment, she's doing it pretty tough.

You may want to support her on that blog.

Well, I am still here. DD and the gkids are great to be around. I guess DD is going to meet with H tomorrow and have a talk to him about things. She is very concerned.

H has called the house and left messages, and DD answered once and talked to him and told him she would be picking him up tomorrow to go for coffee and some chat (as she put it).

Funny, here H is staying down at the Twit's place since I threw him out and, can you imagine, Friday morning Twit and her husband took off for a long weekend. Guess dear old dad was there to watch the pooches for them so they headed out. Only know this because H told me in one of the messages he left on the answering machine.

You guys are probably right, if Twit has to take care of daddy, that isn't going to last long. Heck, just a few days with him and she is already out of the house. Wonder what the kitchen looked like when she got back?

DD says she is going to meet with H with an open mind, but she wants to know, from him, just what he thinks about his daughter talking to me about my dying and her getting my stuff. She wants to know why he doesn't get it that I would get upset about this and why he felt I should apologize to Twit for getting upset about that. That she doesn't like hearing about that type of talk to her Mother either. Should be interesting to hear what the outcome is. She says that, in the circumstances of Twit's bizzare behavior towards me, she wants to know what he thinks of it, if he approves of it, and if we get back together, is he going to let it continue.

I told DD I wasn't sure she should do that, but she says that I'm her mother and someone who is upsetting me so severely like Twit is, and H is not standing up for me, needs to be talked to. DD says H is not a bad man, there are plenty worse, drinkers, wife beaters, cheaters, etc., and he is usually pretty level headed about things. Perhaps, she says, hearing from her might just give him a clue as to how nasty Twit is, and that if he loves me and wants to save our marriage, he is going to have to do something for ME and not keep giving in to Twit's tantrums.

DD is, sadly, planning on going back to her stat on Friday. Then I will really feel the loneliness.

Newimprvmodel's picture

I feel so sorry that it has come to this for you. Plan to treat yourself well after your daughter leaves. I would pout my feet up, with a good book and maybe a nice bubble bath. I am hoping that your dd will get your dh to wake up.

sandye21's picture

I sincerely hope everything goes better for you, and your DH finally realizes where his priorities should be. But please take your time. Someone mentioned making a written contract before DH is allowed back into your life. SD should not be allowed in your home unless she can refrain from her obnoxious behavoir and 'goulishly' asking what you are going to leave to her when you die.

SDM, just be aware dh will say all the right things to get back into the home. But talk is cheap. What is he actually prepared to DO for this marriage. Lets be honest, he went running straight to twit the woman who caused all this trouble, the woman who can't wait to see you deald.

I think what he has to say at this point is irrevelant. His daughter is almost 50 he has been happy for her to display this behaviour for 50 years, she is hardly going to change at this age, not after 50 years of conditioning. He's certainly not going to change. EVER. He will of course tell you what you want to hear. He will be Mr Contrite In front of your daughter. But what is he actually going to do. Remember this is a man who asked you to apologise to his daughter IN FRONT OF HER, because she was trying to get your possessions before you died and then indicated she'd just have to wait until you were dead. That was disgusting, that would be disgusting from a 12 year old. She's a grown woman and he not only defended that, he expected you to apologise. The biggest problem you have is that he saw and in his heart of hearts probably still sees nothing wrong with that.

You can be pretty sure that he will be looking out for and after number 1. Himself. He will tell you, and your daughter whatever he needs to to get back in to the home. He will tell his daughter whatever he needs to, to make her happy. So while he may sit and agree with you, behind your back he will be telling her to be careful, your touchy. He will still manage to make her believe she is more important than you, He has to do that because that is the whole dynamic of their relationship. Neither he or she will ever change, they are incapable of change.

Ultimately if you are to have a relationship with him that does not destroy you physically, mentally and emotionally, YOU are going to have to work out what YOU want.

Your husband has been doing it his way for years now. And this is how it has finished up. Now it is your time to look after you. Twit will never change, she cannot, it is unrealistic for you to even hope for that. Now is the time for you to stand up for yourself. Grab twits handbag and take back your husbands testicles. Ban twit from your life personally and professionally, keep her out of your face, life and home. Is DH willing to accept and understand that. What is he willing to do to keep you, to keep the marriage. It has to be more than flowery words. I'm sure he's sorry right now, but is it because he did he wrong thing, or because twits not looking after him the way you do, because he wants back into his own house. It needs to be because he's done the wrong thing. He needs to accept you cannot continue with her in your life, and he needs to tell her that she cannot come to your home anymore, because SHE has offended and insulted you too many times, and that he agrees with your decision he supports you in this. He needs to tell her that on speaker phone so you know exactly what is being said. When these men are like this with their daughters SDM, you can never really trust them to do the right thing by you, if you stay you have to look after you.

sandye21's picture

SDM, What EBU wrote is very important. She brings up the point of having the speaker phone on when DH is informing SD of the limits you will both accept from her. Both EBU and I have been through the 'double talk' - DH saying one thing to us, another thing to SD. Unless there is 'clear' communication that you ALL hear, you will always wonder what was really said and what is really understood. This is important because unless this happens you will always wonder why your DH came back.

No doormat. No I don't think her husband will have some sort of epiphany, suddenly see the error of his ways, and put his wife above all others, especially his 50 year old married daughter.

I do think her husband like all men who emotionally cripple their daughters does it for himself. Because he likes to keep his daughter as a little girl who goes running to daddy with every little hiccup in her life. These men think it is a sign if love of adoration. That is why the hang onto their daughters, it makes them (the fathers) feel special, needed, wanted and loved. They cannot get this kind of adoration from the women they marry because, interestingly, they marry strong independent women who are not only capable of taking care of themselves, but can take care of them too. They are so exhausted by nurturing their adult kids, they seek out someone who can nurture them. That is why we are never first in their lives, always second to their daughters, never given the respect a wife deserves. Because we were not chosen primarily as a wife, but as a carer, cook and cleaner, and of course bedmate. We were chosen because we had the necessary intellect and compassion to do the job these men needed us to do. We were chosen because they saw we were soft, caring, understanding, compassionate and intelligent enough to run the house. We could fill an area of his life that his forever childlike daughter would never be able to fill. She would never be strong enough to take care of him. That being said, the kind of woman they marry, is never the type to play cutesy and dumb. Never going to run to him for a bandaid, she will jump in the car, drive to the shop. Buy the bandaids, and put it on herself. She cannot make him feel that without him she would never survive, that she cannot get through each day without him, she cannot make him feel needed in the way his adult baby daughter can. And these men crave that adoration, they need their egos continually stroked, and daughter does that for him in a way no normal woman ever could.

These men are actually proud that their adult daughters are still behaving like little girls. They think that makes them good fathers, and you will never change their thinking on that. Just as their daughters will never grow into emotionally stable well adjusted self sufficient adults, even if they live to be a 100. These woman are always going to need a man. Once daddy passes or is no longer in their lives these women will go through their entire lives playing dumb and needy to some other man to get him to take over from daddy.

So, no I don't think he will ever change. I think these men also enjoy wife and daughter fighting over them, they love it, it makes them feel great to know they are both fighting to get his attention, and they actively encourage this by playing one off against the other. They deliberately well perhaps if I were to be kind, subconsciously, keep this going they will never strive to make peace between wife and daughter because to do so would mean he was no longer the centre of attention, they were no longer fighting over him, and he loves them fighting over him. He thrives on it. But I do think SDM can change her life with him, if she can find the strength within her to do it. SHE needs to change. She needs to be very strong and clear now. I think it is a time for her to forget she is married to him and instead look at the man he is, and ask herself, knowing what she knows now, WOULD SHE MARRY HIM. She can then decide how she wants to spend the rest of her life.

She if she chooses for whatever reason to stay, needs to change the terms of the old marriage contract from the way he saw it to the way she wants it. If he cannot meet her expectations then he can spend his remaining years with his daughter. His choice. But my thinking is men like this are so all consumed with looking after themselves first last and foremost that faced with the reality that wife has come to a fork in the road, will choose the woman who looks after them, not the woman they need to look after. But if they stay together SDM will have to be forever vigilant. She will always have to demand the respect she deserves as his wife and she will have to always make sure she takes care of herself first. Because he will never be able to do that. He will always only ever worry about him first. These situations are never about choosing daughter over wife or vice versa, they are always about this kind of man looking to have his most pressing needs filled. SDM needs to see the narcissist in her husband, the first step to changing her life is to realise what she is married to. To understand that is who he is and he cannot change, then to see if she can find a way to have her needs fulfilled within that marriage.

Dunwiththem's picture

Wow EBU, you got it in a nutshell, again.
I believe there that NPD is inextricably linked to most of the problems presented on these forums.

sandye21's picture

Again - WOW!!! You have described my relationship with my DH also. I really think these narcissistic men are not looking for love - or a wife, they are searching for another Mother to take care of their needs. The daughter has already filled the position of wife. As you wrote, if SDM takes her DH back she will have to be forever vigilant. From personal experience I can tell you it is not always an easy or satisfying job. You have to immediately call him on any passive-aggressive behavior or blaming, it takes time for him to realize you are no longer the scape goat. You have to often restate your boundaries to him. You have to be adamant that SD is not in your life, and you have no interest in hearing anything about her. You have to get beyond asking yourself why he wanted to 'save' the marriage. You have to stop placing any emotional investment in the relationship. You have to find other ways achieve happiness - and you can do it. Weigh the pluses and minuses - what's in it for you. If I was in SDM's position right now I would take my time, live on my own for a while and see how I like it, maybe there are other ways to resolve loneliness.

ffwife908's picture

I agree she probably wants something. I thought my SD changed at one time and I got burned. Be careful

Now sandy, seriously, you KNOW these men are not looking for love, their lives are, in their minds already overflowing with love. They have more love than they can handle. They are so narcissistic that they just KNOW in their minds, heart and to the depths of their very soul, that their daughters are in love with them. They know this because they know they are not only the best most perfect of fathers, but the best of men, who wouldn't adore them. They know everyone is jealous of them. The deep, meaningful and intense love they believe their daughters have for them is only superseded by their love for themselves. No one can love a narcissist as much as they love themselves. With all that love in their lives of course they are only looking for a mother substitute. That's why they choose women like us. I'd be willing to bet that those of us who married the narcissist were primed from birth to never feel special, to always take a back seat, we as kids knew our place alright and didn't question it. The only way to deal with this is to get some self esteem, confidence and self respect. To get rid of that beaten little girl inside of you, take a real hard look at the grown woman you have become, at the kind of person you are, and realise, you deserve much better than this, so, so much better. Once you realise your husband is a narcissist, you begin to know, it wasn't you. Yes, he made you believe all those years you were the problem and that served to keep us feeling as we always had, lacking in confidence and self esteem. We spent years and years questioning ourselves, when we should've been questioning them.

Now sandye just to confirm your replacement mother theory, listen to this. First sit down before you fall down, please place all hot drinks in a safe position where you cannot knock them over, keep the red wine away from the carpet, and keep clear of sharp objects.

DH had to do a project for the counsellor. This project involved writing a list of reasons he wanted to stay in the marriage and reasons for not wanting to stay.

His only two reasons for wanting to stay.

1. He likes the way I cook, the way I clean the house and the way his clothes are always washed and ironed ready for him to wear,,
2. He likes the way I take care of him, especially when he's not feeling well.

FRIGGIN HELL, this guys got his mother all right. Housekeeper and nurse. That is all he could write as reasons to stay. His reasons not to stay, here's another laugh. He likes to spin the remote control for the tv. When he starts I remove the remote.

1. He hates the way I control everything, like the remote control.

That's his reasons for staying or leaving the marriage. Nothing about me in there at all really, all about HIM, his needs. Our marriage is in the toilet and his daughter has pushed the flush button, and that's what he comes up with. Smile I married a narcissist and thankfully God gave me the insight to see it, and finally the courage to change myself from that frightened, shy little girl, into a strong, independent woman who has developed enough self esteem to say, no more. I must say, I don't think my narcissist has any clue on how to handle the new and improved me, and I don't give a shit. Smile

sandye21's picture

EBU, I DID put away all sharp objects and put my wine in a safe place. LOL I guess you have to see the humor in it. I am sure if my DH was asked why he wanted to stay in the marriage, he would respond with the very same answers. Yes, we have definitely married the same little boy. A few months ago, while watching a game show on TV, the question was brought up: "What would your greatest loss be if you divorced your spouse?" DH's answer: "Financial."

The thing about gaining self-respect and realizing your marriage is in the toilet at the same time is that you are no longer afraid to take the next step and be on your own if the need arises. If I am to 'Mother' anyone anymore, it's going to be me. Don't get me wrong, I been around too many narcissists to be one myself. I like giving of myself to others who appreciate it - and they are out there.

In answer to your first paragraph; Boy! You really hit the nail on the head! I was programmed from birth to be a speed bump, to make sure everyone else's needs were met before mine, to be there is anyone wanted to stike out. My Mother still has a hard time knowing what to do with the 'new' Sandye who practices mutual respect. Better late in life than never but still she plays the games to put Sandye in her place. I was once told by a fantastic counsellor that SD and my Mother were both narcissists, and that was why they upset me so. Don't want to over analyse, but it makes me wonder if we unconsciously seek these people out because it is not 'comfortable' or familiar to live with people who care about us. We just wouldn't deserve it. I have learned a big lesson from all of this, (even though it took over 20 years), and that is I am worthy of mutual respect. I kind of like the new me.

Dunwiththem's picture

Smile Now that I've composed myself, you might like this one.
I was with DH and few family members - his and mine - having a meal out.
We were all chatting happily and the question arose 'What would you say the favourite era of your life has been?'

DH said, 'Hmmm, I suppose when I was in my twenties.'

I didn't meet him until he was 38!!

Evening ruined.

Dunwiththem's picture

BTW we're kinda highjacking shesdrivingme's thread. Maybe we should start a narcissist thread - as they are probably the root of most of our problems with SKs

Madamx28's picture

Yes, I've been down that road and it's always when they want something. I'm with others in here when I say "watch your back". If she's being nice, enjoy it at the time because you deserve to be treated well, but don't ever for a moment think that it's sincere. If it's genuine, it won't end, if it isn't then at least you are prepared and won't be hurt or disappointed. She has given you no reason to trust her, so don't.

Well sandye, we may have married the same man, so I guess it's only fitting that we both have it appears, become the same woman. Smile I am so happy now. I cannot believe how lucky I am to have come through the fires of hell not with blisters and burns, but with self esteem and confidence. I am one very lucky woman that's for sure.