You are here

The Light is Starting to Shine in H's Attic!!! Dare I Hope??

shes driving me crazy in my retirement's picture

Well, after yesterday's counseling session and Twit antics this weekend at the auction H seems to have come to some pretty interesting and much needed conclusions, and added some of his own stories he has observed.

When I talked to the counselor about Twit snatching the seats next to us at the auction she said, pretty much as I thought she would, that was beyond our control unless I wanted to really inconvenience myself, that H had nothing to do with it, and he really didn't.

But about trying to get a free dinner off us, well I handled that okay. She told H that if Twit thinks I was terrible that is too bad. One doesn't need to keep track like I take you out today so you take me out tomorrow, but when it is totally one way, that is not right and is taking advantage and exploiting us. Shock of my life.....H AGREED with her!

H shared an interesting Twit story. As you know, Twit had/has been trying to use my house to have a garage sale, which is really a ploy for her to sell pots and pans, get contacts etc. She wants my neighborhood because it is a good neighborhood.

Well, seems Twit got a neighbor to "go in" on a garage sale with her....at the neighbor's place down the road. Twit set up her pots and pans stand with stuff she gives a discount on. Told the neighbor that if the other neighbors in the area come by, it wouldn't be bad to let them in first as they are in the area..keep on good terms with your neighbors Twit said. So, seems H was helping set some final things up the evening before when people came by to see in advance what was for sale (Twit had left already). The owner ended up selling a bunch of stuff including some pot and pan stuff to her immediate neighbors/immediate family....she told them that she knew there was going to be a discount on the stuff but she didn't know how much as Twit neglected to tell her (when H called to check Twit didn't answer phone), and she would see they got the difference back. H related the situation to Twit. Twit's response? Well, if the neighbors and family wanted the stuff then too bad....they paid a premium for 1st choice! She hadn't discounted it YET! H told her that he didn't approve of that, that going back there and putting up a discount sign would only alienate the neighbors and family of the woman having the garage sale. That it would cause her problems. Twit was going to THINK about it.

Man, as I said, greedy, greedy, greedy. Here the woman paid for the ad, is holding the garage sale and letting Twit put her stuff out there and Twit is, dare I say it like this, scr*wing her over! Even the counselor said that after H related the story, well not that Twit was greedy, but she was certainly not being upfront for the neighbor.

Anyway, point is that H didn't like it and told Twit so. He is really getting his eyes open big time. Counselor asked him if he is starting to see a pattern here....Twit always wanting, expecting, using, taking advantage of, etc. AND, lo and behold, H said YES, and he doesn't like what he is seeing.

Perhaps the time he is spending at Twit's place is opening his eyes to what Twit really is. Especially since I have the car so he can't just drive off somewhere away from her. He has to spend the time there.

We explored, with the counselor, just what needs to be accomplished for H to move back in. I told her that this Twit carp needs to stop. I am his wife and I expect respect from those that come into my home and life. I expect H to stand up for me regardless of who or what. If Twit can't behave, she has no place in my life or house and I will not tolerate her being around. That I will not tolerate lip service from H on this, I want action and if he can't do that, he can't come back.

We also talked, briefly about the will thingy and Twit's constant curiosity. Seems she has even brought it up to H several times while he has been there. She is terrified that my daughter is going to inherit all.

Counselor said it was out of line for Twit to be talking about my demise, wills, etc. That if we wanted her to know we would tell her. I suggested that my attorney could notify Twit about our wills - perhaps letting Twit know she gets nadda from me - and that if Twit had any problem with it to contact her. Let the lawyer put Twit in her place and for her not to bother me about it. I don't know, just a thought for now.

Tuff Noogies's picture

one thing that may help you also, is maybe in your next session for both you AND dh to explain what is your respective definitions of 'respect' and 'respectful behavior'. sometimes what one person is highly offended and pissed off about, the other might not even bat an eyelash at... just my two cents - hope all continues on the upswing for you Smile

Hi Tuff Noogies - Excellent suggestion. Thank you! I am going to mark that down in my notebook to bring up.

Absolutely right. It was just a thought so we wouldn't have to deal with Twit questions, just refer her to my attorney - end of issue. Let the attorney tell her it's none of her business. Then she might get the message. Believe me, IMHO it would take a lot of chutzpah to call the attorney, but she might, who knows.

This is what is great about this forum. One can separate the chaff from the wheat even in one's own thinking. Thanks.

sandye21's picture

"Well, if the neighbors and family wanted the stuff then too bad....they paid a premium for 1st choice! She hadn't discounted it YET!" I gasped when I read this but then realised it is no surprise considering Twit's past. Dtzy is right - Twit does not need to know anything about your will. That is a coutesy Twit does not deserve - and it's none of her business. If your lawyer does anything, it should be a cease and desist order for her to stay away from you. What Twit has done to you is mental harrassment, and you have justifiable cause to keep her away. Glad you are sticking to your reasonable terms for DH moving back in. Good luck to you.

Hi Sandye - Thanks for the support. Yeah, I was surprised that H told us about that Twit incident! It certainly shows that the woman has no ethics or decency....typical Twit scr*w everyone to make a buck.

H still is living with Twit and getting more and more, from what he shares at conselling, a dose of what she really does and how she acts not only to me, but to others. Perhaps, if things go right, H will see that Twit will never change and what is wrong with her is deep rooted, and, most importantly, probably not his fault. Narcistics/Psycho's/Sciopaths are born that way, wired that way, at least so I think.

Well, the light just flickered. When I dropped H off at Twits this afternoon, she was outside. She came up to the car and said something to me, I actually didn't hear exactly what it was, but H said to her loudly... "Twit, that's not a nice thing to say". At which she got flustered at being called on it and claimed ignorance on what she could have said. I heard that as I was backing out of the driveway.

So, when I got home I called H and asked him just what happened and why he yelled at Twit. You know what H said? He said that it was ME he was admonishing because of what I said (I didn't say a word, I wasn't even sure what was going on) and that I actually insulted Twit!

Honestly, I didn't say a word, I had just pulled into the driveway, let H out gave him a kiss when Twit walked up to the car and said something as I was pulling out. That was when I distinctly heard him say: "Twit, that's not a nice thing to say" and her looking flustered at being admonished by him. I know I had said nothing, done nothing to her, and he was admonishing her. I just drove away. I am confused, I heard one thing and now H is telling me another thing happened? Strange. It couldn't have been me as H now says because he used Twit's name when he was doing the admonishing about what was being said. What the heck is going on?

I mean if he was admonishing me, as he claims, he certainly would have used my name instad of Twit's.

hereiam's picture

In the time it took you to drive home and call him, Twit had turned it around on you and he fell for it.

20YearsAsAStep-Mom's picture

Twit twisted it around alright and now he is gaslighting you!!! Honestly it doesn't sound very promising to me. I wwould have lost it on my DH under those circumstances, accusing you of Twit's rudeness. How much more can you take?

sandye21's picture

Oh, the old "You're imagining things" ploy again! DH is flip-flopping like a fish out of water. Where's he going to go if he loses lodging at Twit's? EBU has mentioned this many times - the narcissistic DH's who are really don't give a rip about SD OR SM. He's in it soley for himself and will even lie to ensure his confort. I'm sure you have another counselling session. The counsellor will be able to tell whose lying. Maybe he needs some time to get his priorities straight, and you need some time to reflect.

Hi Sandye - Yes, that's what it seems like to me, but it was so very strange. I didn't open my mouth at all when I dropped him off.

Towanda's picture

I have to wonder about memory problems too. His daughter is nearly my age so he has to be 70ish???? Or hard of hearing, or just slowing down with the quick thoughts?????

Hi wowthisishard - You bring up a good point. DH has sometimes had a few problems with memory etc. I know at times I do have a hard time explaining things to him (even when not about Twit) because it seems to take him a bit to comprehend. Not all the time, but occasionally and I have noticed this in the past.

Thanks for bringing it up. In all the Twit nonsense, and since H isn't around the house, I didn't think about that right off as what he said caught me so off guard.

oldone's picture

I think I disagree with some here about not telling her about the will.

I would be very upfront with her and make it crystal clear that she does not need to concern herself at all with your possessions as she will NOT be included in any disposition. No how, no way.

I know I've posted this multiple times but it's one of my favorite responses to a greedy SD. My friend's SS's wife asked her what she was going to do with her jewelry (she has a lovely stash of some beautiful things). Step DIL asked this at a holiday dinner table in front of EVERYONE.

My friend very calmly and sweetly said "Honey that won't be any of your concern." It was the best put down ever.

I am 67 (as of this month) - so I am assuming that your DH is approximately my age. If he is losing some of his mental capacity that is not the norm for this age. The last thing you want is to be saddled with an old man with dementia who disrespected you even before his mental slowing down.

I agree with you oldone. If she knows it is tied up maybe, just maybe she might shut up. But I doubt it.

She is still crying about how her sisters-in-law cut her out when they got together to divide up their Mother's jewelry. Wasn't that terrible that SHE was cut out, according to her. What she fails to realize is that it was THEIR Mother's jewelry. Twit was just a DIL to her, though Twit loves to say how she was like a daughter to both of them. I believe they tolerated her BS because she is married to their son.

The FIL was nice enough to give her a watch from his wife in memorandum, which I thought was very nice, but Twit felt she was cut out, slighted, etc. Delusional and totally wrong about what she is entitled to.

Hi Oldone - You and are of like ages this year. H is 8 years older than I am, which puts him in his id 70's. I am watching and I brought it up with my Doc. (who is also his doctor). He suggested I get H to have hearing tested first before going further.

But you are right, if he continues to feed me to the wolf, aka, Twit, I just don't need that and I have told him so in no uncertain terms. That is why he is currently living with Twit.