You are here

What age do kids typically get into video games?

Maine3487's picture

We have a PS4 and an Xbox with lots of games. SS has ZERO interest in playing. It seems like every kid is playing Fortnight but SS has no interest. Why am I trying to push Video games on SS? Because he is driving me nuts. He follows BF or me around 24/7 wanting to be Entertained. We have him 50/50 so it’s not like he never sees daddy. He has no interest in playing sports and Physically impossible for him to entertain himself outside without daddy or me. He has a phone which he will play a few games on BUT he has to follow us around when playing and show us things again 24/7. Hate me if you must but I’m dreaming of the day SS locks himself in his room to play Video games so I can just get a minute to myself

beebeel's picture

In my experience, they don't really enjoy the council games until 9 or 10. Get him a dog? I can empathize with how annoying it can be if the kid has never been encouraged to do independent play. In some ways, having two skids was nice because they entertained each other.

Kiwi_koala's picture

Hmm my boyfriend's sons loved video games from the time they were 5. The 9 year old loves them the most but the 7 still plays them and plays with toys. He has a great imagination. His dad needs to teach him to play alone. How ridiculous that he is underfoot.

TrueNorth77's picture

SS here was around 7-8 when he got into it. Now he does what you dream about- locks himself in his room and plays every night. I actually tried to fight it at first because I don't think it's good for him, but I quickly STFU about that when I realized how awesome it is to not have a skid up your ass all day! SD9 just got a Playstation Switch and is getting more into it, however- she doesn't play alone. She only plays if my SO plays with her (or me, but I'm not that into video games)...which means she is still always around, unless he is off playing video games with her. Sigh.

How old is your SS?

Jcksjj's picture

My DS and SD were both into them in like kindergarten. SD at like age 4 because DH pushed it on her. I dont blame your for hoping for that...skid weeks are so much more tolerable when SD is on her tablet all day in her room. I also dont think it's good for her but she is way less obnoxious then.

Maine3487's picture

Yes I agree if there was two steps it would be easier. We have two dogs but all that does is Creates more Chaos as SS wants to “Wrestle” with the dogs in the house. When we go out to dinner SS HAS to sit next to daddy and if we are walking and there is only room for two people I end up walking behind SO and SS. In the car SS Monopolizes the whole Conversation and Interrupts Constantly. At home if SO or I start talking about something SS comes flying out of nowhere asking “what’s going on, what did you say, what what what!” We could be talking about the last Presidential speech and he will be up our ass. I call him nosy Nellie. I know it’s SO fault as he is a Disney dad and caters to SS’s every wish. This is NOT going to change. So this is why I’m PRAYING Video game obsession will kick in soon! 

fourbrats's picture

and extra curriculars are great. And it doesn't have to be sports. What does he like? There are STEM groups, theater, magic, board games, card games, etc. I think the issue is that he needs peers to hang out with instead of dad. Two of mine have no more than a passing interest in video games, two love video games. DH started them early (he is a gamer) and still two never got into them. However we encourage a lot of interests outside the home. The two still at home have choir, robotics, theater, and classes at a  technical high school (for the 17 year old). Plus they have after school clubs and a D and D group with DH. The D & D group is their main dad time although he is also a robotics mentor. 

Pregnantwithquestions's picture

This is my suggestion as well. I'm not anti-video gaming devices... but I do think they cause more harm than good long term and with extended exposure. So, I'm hesitant to push that on a kid that clearly isn't interested. BUT, there's so many extra cirriculars that could be done outside of sports. Learn an instrument, take art or drawing courses either online or in person and practice at home, dance, camping or boy/girl scouts. Volunteer work with a local food bank, or animal shelter if animals are of interest. Tire 'em out and give them something else to think and talk about outside of whatever it is you're doing.

Of course having a Disney dad in the mix isn't going to do a whole lot in the growth dept there, that really needs to stop in order for this behavior to change long term.

Maine3487's picture

In anything. He begs us for legs all the time. We got him THREE large LEGO sets he wanted for Christmas and two have yet to be even opened. He went to a STEMS type camp over the summer and liked it so we put him in a STEMS club that meets after school every other week. He went to the first five sessions they we found out he was not going but hanging out with friends at the park next door. He loves to racing through the house so we Suggested track which he said he hates and refused. The real problem I think is SS wants things his way on his terms and when you join a team/club there are rules to follow. You can’t do everything your way. Again SO is not going to change so my only hope is SS will get a girlfriend once he gets into high school and/or Video games. I don’t see any other way for Peace and quiet

futurestepmomnowstepgf's picture

Some children aren't huge video game players, but instead they like to read is how they access their imagination. 

Dontfeedthetrolls's picture

It depends on the child. SO’s oldest in is 3rd grade and she’s not really interested in games. The little ones in kindergarten and loves video games. The oldest plays now and then but she just prefers other stuff.

Lndsy747's picture

My SD never got into video games or any other hobbies unless you count taking selfies, makeup, and shopping. It seemed to me like if she wasn't instantly good at something she didn't want to do it. She had no interest in practicing it working to improve.

Rags's picture

We purged our home of all video games when SS-27 was in about 6th-7th grade and never let them back in.  He shifted to reading even more than he had when he was also gaming.  

We just had reached our limit on zoned out screen head teen boy brain fartitis.  We had to take control of his laptop in HS as well to keep his head in the game academically.  

Once he launched he started gaming again but he does keep it from interfering in his career and real life.

It is probably an entirely different thing when discussing non resident Skids who visit.  We were the CP/full time home of SS. Confronting the insanity was our mission.  For  the NCP/visitation household, keeping the toxic visiting kid sequestered and burning their brain into quiet, secluded slathering non participation then sending them back to the CP in a coma from not sleeping for days on end very well could be a good thing for all involved.