You are here

Level 10 Clinger...What causes a kid to behave this way? Mental problem? Insecurity? Psychopath in the making?

Sunlover92's picture

So the ONLY think SS13 does alone when he's over is play video games. When this past weekend the PS4 broke. Thank god we only had two hours left before SS went home. For those two hours SS13 Proceeded to follow DH around like a Pathetic needy puppy. When DH sat on the couch SS13 sat right next to him and wrapped both arms around DH and made Whiny Noises every few minutes to get DH to pay attention to him. This went on till DH got up. DH went upstairs to wash his face. SS followed DH and sat on the bed waiting for DH to come out. DH went downstairs into the kitchen and SS followed him down and was hanging all over DH when DH was trying to cook. If it was not for video games this would be how SS13 would act 24/7 with DH. I've never seen a teen so clingy and needy. Could SS13 be Insecure somehow with his relationship with DH? 

BEFORE anyone says this I know DH allows this behavior so that's why it continues BUT what caused it to happen in the first place??? I came from a divorced home too but at SS age no way would I even wanted to be so Clingy to my parents. I wanted friends and locked in my bedroom playing video games. This is how other normal teens I know are too. 

So what goes with SS?

Rumplestiltskin's picture

In a previous blog you said that at school his teacher calls him "bird boy" because he makes repetitive squawking noises in class. He sounds like a strange child. You would probably have more insight into why than we would. Expressing your individuality is good to a point but it's on the parents to raise the kids to be people who can function in society. With your SS....that does not seem to be happening. 

ndc's picture

I have no clue what makes him act that way because I have never seen a teenage boy (or girl, for that matter) behave that way.  It's definitely not normal.  Buy a new PS4, stat.

Sunlover92's picture

I even signed him up for a year of online play last June. In the past "summer vacation" was pure hell but not last summer. SS13 slept till 1 or 2 pm then would stay glued to the PS4 till bedtime. It was wonderful! I got to have Quiet mornings with my coffee and able to have conversations with DH. His Christmas gifts from me are ALL gaming related. Call me Cynical but I truly can't stand this spoiled brat. I pray for the day he gets a girlfriend or boyfriend whatever as long as it keeps him entertained someplace else

Wicked stepmo.'s picture

My DS has done the same thing in occasion.  But only after I took away all his electronics as punishment. It was his way of trying to irritate me into getting annoyed enough to give them back so he would leave me alone. It never worked. I stuck to my guns, but boy did I want to throttle him, it was irritating. I don't know about your SS but DS used it as a weapon. He wasn't the kind of kid to ever throw tantrums.

tog redux's picture

Well, he's not a "psychopath" for sure.  Again, why doesn't your DH set limits on it? WHY he does it doesn't matter - address the behavior.  But a therapist might not hurt.

SeeYouNever's picture

He's insecure and poorly socialized. This is from neglectful parenting. Lots of children of divorce end up this way and develop insecure attachments to their parents period whatever parent they spend most of their childhood with is usually more focused on themselves or their other relationships so they neglect the child emotionally. Thatat results in these clingy teenagers that are acting like they're at least five years younger than they are. Combine this with no chores or responsibilities and you get a very immature child. 

It sounds like with your SS that his parents have let him be raised by video games rather than human interaction.