You are here

Next question video games

Janemakey13's picture

My last post was about SS13 staying up late and sleeping in. Well the reason SS13 is up late is because he's playing video games. SS13 never really had any interest intill he got his phone in 6th grade. BM gave SS a iPhone(yes iPhone in 6th grade) and SS plays Video games almost non stop. Funny thing is BM bitches non stop to DH about how she does NOT like SS playing video games BUT allows SS to bring the phone over and ONLY takes the phone away if SS gets into trouble. 

SS13 will spend a average of 8 hrs a day playing video games sometimes up to 12hrs. How many hours do your young teen play video games for? Is this just a stage that SS will grown out of? 

SS13 was never the Outdoorsy/sports type of kid. More screaming Destroying breaking tornado type kid. Basically zero social skills from being made a spoiled center of the Universe by both parents. Never had any friends till 6th grade and even those are more just " school friends" that SS sits with a lunch and maybe calls once in awhile. No sleepovers, play dates. 

tog redux's picture

He should not be playing video games 12 hours a day.  My SS20 lives with BM, has never worked, dropped out of college, has no driver's license, has depression and anxiety, and video games have been a huge part of his failure at life. He's not good at anything else, because BM has rarely made him try to do anything else, or stick with what he does try. (He was alienated from DH from ages 15-18, so it's not DH's fault. He tried).

Your SO should be setting some limits on the gaming.

kd622's picture

My DS is 21 has a full tme job, a drivers license and gives us $200 a week towards expenses which is very helpful. he likes to play online video game which i have no issue with. he has never missed a day aof work becasue of his gaming and does jobs around the house. On the other hand DH bought SS9 GTA5 ( I feel he is too young for this game) but he has been playing so much he is up until 4am and then sleeps all day. I told DH this and he was fine with it becasue he willbe going back to school soon and he isn't bothering anyone. But DH has severe issues with the 21 year old that does it for a few hours a night. Double standard as usual. everything SS does is fine with him. 

AshMar654's picture

SS soon to be 12 only gets to play vidoe games on the weekends when school is in session. We also set limits on everything he does. 2 hours max on his switch. Yes my son has a cell phone at his age and it is a pretty new Iphone as well. He has it because we do not have a house phone and that is how we get ahold of him when he is home alone. I get your SS having a cell phone.

Did you know that with an Iphone you can set it up to where they can not play games at all or have limits on it? He should be limited and forced to go outside or read a book. I can be at work and lock my son out of everything back home if I want to. There are ways to control kids and electronics.

Rags's picture

we had enough when SS-28 hit sixth grade. We eleminated all access to video games and fantasy card games in our home. SS was fixated.  He could not function in the real world.  So, we forced him to use his own immagination, read books, which he was already doing, we took him on real world adventures, rock climbing, hiking, rafting, fossil hunting, etc, etc, etc.....

We did not give him a phone until the end of 8th grade and it was just a stick phone. Calls and texts, that was it.  He did not get a smart phone until nearly 4 years later and it was not an iPhone.  Against our better Judgement we got  him a laptop towards the end of his Jr. year of HS which brought his very successful experience at Military School to an end a year later after the SpermIdiot helped him hack the school fire wall and they stayed up all night every night playing WoW. So instead of paying a fortune in tuition we brought him home at Christmas break of his Sr. year took his lap top, enrolled him in our local HS and he had to bust his ass to graduate on time.

After he graduated we still kept video games out of our house.   Amost a year after he gradauted at 17 he enlisted in the USAF.  Once he finished BMT, graduated, finshed Tech school he bought his own computer and started gaming again.  He keeps his head in the real world and is doing great in his career.

He still games more than his mom or I would like but at 28 it is is life to live.