You are here

I'm a newbie and need some advice

dledden's picture

I am a 40 yr old divorced female with 2 biological sons ages 9 and 6 who live with me fulltime. My fiancee who we live with also has a son Matthew who is 8, and diagnosed Autistic. Dad has full custody of matthew, so he also lives with us. Let me explain Matthews autism before I go any further. He is high functioning autistic; he is in a general education classroom at school and has a personal care aide in there with him for when he needs help, breaks, gets frustrated, etc.

I can't stand my soon to be stepson. Everyone in his life up to now has babied him. He can do no wrong and because he's autistic, rarely if ever gets punished. My fiancee feels as though he disciplines the kids the same, but he just doesn't. My kids are rough and tumble BOYS, REAL BOYISH BOYS. They get into things they shouldn;t make messes, break things, lose things, etc. Normal really. When they are punished, they have to go to timeout, or to their room or lose playtime, etc. U know, a normal punishment. Matthew gets a "talking to". Occasionally dad will put him in timeout but rarely.

Matthew has severely delayed gross and fine motor skills and he 'stims' with toys in his face (autistic behaviors). Because of this, everyone in his life in the past I think has just done everything for him. Now, he is 8 yrs old, can't put a straw into a capri sun sack, can't button buttons, zip a zipper, tie shoes, nothing. And it is ACCEPTABLE to everyone except me!

This child also has temper tantrums and hits and bites. He has hit me on many occasions, told me i'm stupid, dumb, etc. Never gets punished for this either. At this point in my life, I love his dad and want to marry him, but have only sheer resentment that I have this kid in my life fulltime with what I feel is little to no support.

There is so much more to tell, but basically I just came here to get advice from other stepmoms to see how they deal with the stepkids that irk their very souls!

DLedden

Auteur's picture

RUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!

Just received VD (SD13) report card. Got a 20, yes a 20 out of 100 in Social Studies!!! A 52 in all of her core subjects (65 is pass/fail). And her dad, GG will think "chip off the ol' block" and be BEAMING with PRIDE!!

RUN! RUN! RUN! RUN! RUN!!! Do not do a disservice to your own NORMAL children by being with this man and his coddled to death child. He'll get older and soon will be breaking the law. . . and you'll hear even MORE excuses for him.

my.kids.mom's picture

I worked with a kid that sounds just like his son, but he was 12. It does not get easier and/or better. Many parents don't know HOW to parent these kids, even when they work hard at doing the right thing. It's different when it's your own kid. If not...uggghhhh. I agree with them. Run. Fast.

dledden's picture

:jawdrop: GREAT, there's no way i'm keeping matthew in my home when he's grown up, i can't have a kid living with us forever, that's why I push for his skills to be improved. He goes to p/t and o/t and is improving

DeeDeeTX's picture

Start a conversation with FDH and ask him if he is committed to seeing his son live on his own when he's an adult.

hismineandours's picture

wow-how difficult. Does this child have a therapist or doctor that he sees that is knowledgeable about his autism? Perhaps it would be beneficial for you and your so to go see someone in order to set goals for this child and be on the same page? Ideally he should be encouraged to be as independent as possible-I'm just thinking you'd have better luck with a professional telling your so this instead of yourself? Or have the professional discuss what are appropriate punishments for him? Do some reading and help educate yourself-but share what you learn with your dh. I would frame all this as you wanting to understand as much as possible so that you can help your ss in the best way. How can your so really argue with that?

msc1120's picture

Take a long hard look at what is best for you, and your bio-kids. I don't have children of my own but DH has a son who is 13. I love my husband with all my heart but we are separated now because I let my resentment for BM spill over to my SS and end my marriage. It's hard being a stepparent to a child without special needs. I would hate to see somebody else have to go through what I am.

Auteur's picture

Don't beat yourself up!!! I"m sure it wasn't all your fault. Maybe about .02% was your fault (for being crazy enough to think that love would cover everything)