You are here

anyone know much about SSI for a kid or skid?

dledden's picture

We applied for SSI for skid. He is disabled and on the medical end, we were approved in less than 30 days. I gave his o/t p/t and speech evals and that's pretty much all they needed. Approved.

Now, the case went from my state capitol office back to our local office. Now they want info on DH's 401k. Can he "access" the money? Really? A man isn't allowed to work and save for his retirement? Our income qualifies. All of our kids get free lunch at school, and we get financial aid, 40% off membership to the YMCA. SSI wants to use my husband's 401(k), which, he's 43 yrs old and is only $41k, I have NOTHING, and use that to likely disqualify skid from getting any $.

i'm about to blow something up right now.

Anyone else dealt with SSI issues? Nothing's decided yet, but I want to know if you've had this issue, had to appeal, etc.

Thx

msg1986's picture

The reason they are asking you if he can access the money is because SSI is a program that based completely off 1.The childs disability and 2. your income & resources and a 401k is considered a resource. usually with a family where there is a husband/wife and a kid, if you have any resources valued over 3k you'll be expected to spend it down before the agency with help you. The reason for this is because SSI is an assistance program (think like public aid or food stamps) so you're expected to exhaust all other avenues of income/resources before you'll get the help. It's crappy I know, but that's how it works. Sad

dledden's picture

I know, and it pisses me off because the heroin addict crotch dropper BM I am CERTAIN gets free welfare $ for being a piece of shit. We get nada in child support, and we aren't rich. We could REALLY use something to help us take care of skid. So SHE can get free money, but her kid gets shit. Sad

TASHA1983's picture

Disgusting isn't it?

Millions of people walk into Welfare offices and want OUR money handed to them simply because they are lazy, don't want to work, too fat, can't (don't want to learn how to) speak English, have one too many kids etc. the list goes on! And shockingly enough....the majority of them GET IT! Just like that! When my Gparents were on their death beds and needed Govt Asst. they were given just about enough to get a gallon of milk, I kid you not! My GF fought in WW2 for Pete's sake and worked all of his life and THAT is how they were treated by our Govt?!

I have worked in a law office that dealt with various forms of SS and have seen some pretty pathetic people walk thru the door looking to get SS of some sort SIMPLY because of the reasons I listed above! It is atrocious how ass-backwards this country is! Give to the lazy, useless, pos of our society but work everyone else to the bone to fund it and God forbid if the contributing members of society need help we just shit on them! UNFUCKINGREAL! :sick: