You are here

How long does it take to stop being angry

Focused_onourlife's picture
Forums: 

With the situation? It's been almost 2 years since I disengaged. I pretty much reached the indifference stage (except the occasional "I can't believe her" and angry thoughts to follow) and then about a month ago OSD texted me and I somewhat engaged. Ever since, she rents too much free space in my head with her years of shanagians. I do admit, DH and my marriage has been much better since the disengagement but when do you get to the point of total indifference of the step kidults hurt they caused you?

SugarSpice's picture

it varies from person to person.

for me it took over ten years to stop caring what skids thought of me and what dh thought of what i did.

i agree that disengagement is much better for my sanity and also my marriage.

Good Lord! It took me 15 years to disengage, I hope it doesn't take me 8 more years to stop caring.

fairyo's picture

Excuse me if this sounds simplistic but anger is an emotion we can control- otherwise it will control us. I would start by deleting her from your phone. My skids have never had my number and never will (except in an emergency concerning their father) because with every text she's getting into your head.
Then practise becoming mindful of your thoughts- whenever you have an angry thought about her check how that is making you feel. Anger manifests itself in physical responses that can make you ill over time. Is your heart is pounding, your tummy knotting, your muscles tense? This is the body's natural reaction to fear- it is getting ready to fight an invisible bear. Your body doesn't know the bear is not there so you have to tell it. 'There's no bear' and then feel how your body responds. (If there is a bear then you probably need to deal with it at this point!)
I used to imagine that I was pushing my OSD over a cliff. It wasn't real- but the physical satisfaction of seeing her face when she tipped over was enough to calm my anxieties. Other ideas are casting them adrift in a boat (a bit gentler!) or seeing them fly away in a balloon.
These techniques, after a bit of practice, will send signals to your body to relax and not be afraid (anger comes from a primeval fear instinct) and eventually you will find she has no control over you anymore.
Another trick is to find something pleasant to focus on- this may be something to do (music,exercise, a good movie, baking etc) or something to plan (a day out with friends, a holiday, a shopping trip) or something to dream about (that trip to another country, meeting your hero, winning an award) etc.
All these tricks will train your mind and body to be less afraid and less angry. Of course, it is easier said than done- in which case go and punch a cushion or something!!
You will always have this anger, better accept that you cannot undo the hurts of the past- but one day you will find it no longer controls you, and then you will know you have really, fully, disengaged.

Inthemiddle2's picture

Great advice fairyo. I will read your post whenever I feel like I’m going to lose it. “Seeing them fly away in a balloon”made me LMAO. I will keep that thought in my head to get me through the awful days. Smile

StepUltimate's picture

I'm in the thick of it (SS17, need I type more?!?), but in other matters I found myself hanging on to resentment. Resentment is toxic and like others posted, the negativity manifests physically. For me this includes anxiety, PTSD (I did EMDR therapy for a few months to resolve PTSD from a specific, totally bizarre encounter 15 years before I joined the Step realm), heart racing, stomach knots that feel like the muscles/intestines are being wrung out like a wet towel, migraines, insomna, etc.

I found StepTalk seeking to learn how to manage my emotions and stress about StepLife. I'm glad you posted & appreciate all the replies. Hope you find a way to get peace, detachment, objectivity about this.

I know all to well about the anxiety. It starts every time I know she will be in my presence, which is only 2 or 3 times a year if that. I agree, ST really does help in step life!

Rags's picture

I think it differs with each person. Unfortunately re-engagement only seems to reset and resurface the past hurt even if the behaviors of the former idiot remain reasonable.

I would suggest just dealing with SD on a behavior by behavior basis. If she is reasonable then tolerate a low level of engagement. If she isn't reasonable.. flush her down the hopper again and dont give her space in your head. Either with her past behavior or her current behavior.

"Unfortunately re-engagement only seems to reset and resurface the past hurt even if the behaviors of the former idiot remain reasonable" And this is exactly my case. Before she texted me a couple months ago, she wouldn't cross my mind(other then when my dh would discuss her or be feuding with her on the phone and I'd smh and think to myself what is wrong with her or I can't believe her) but I was over having a relationship with her myself, and felt more peaceful.

"I would suggest just dealing with SD on a behavior by behavior basis. If she is reasonable then tolerate a low level of engagement. If she isn't reasonable.. flush her down the hopper again and dont give her space in your head" This is where I was with my SD for about 2 years before I disengaged and it started giving me anxiety knowing she was coming to visit or I'd see her when we went back home. It was like she would be fine, fun loving one minute and then out of nowhere she was mad about something her dad and/or I did or said (most of the times it was her dad and she used me to get the message back to him). She never would tell me, if it was me, we could just feel the tension and then we'd "hear through the grapevine" she was mad at something misperceived. She is good at mind games, I just have to not give her the space in my head, like you said.

Acratopotes's picture

"I pretty much reached the indifference stage"

No Hon you have not, not yet anyway cause SD still gets to you, you only reach this stage where you give a total eff... where she does not even have your contact details and where you feel nothing if she walks through the front door., This stage is only when you can tell her to her face, this is my house and I will not be ignored/disrespected, please leave....

This you can only do on your own time and it varies from person to person, once you made the mind decision of she's not going to have any influence on your moods or life, then you are indifferent.... but only you can do this, and it's about a 5minute thing... belief in yourself and your choices, make the decision, cut all communication with her, and well she can crawl on her knees and beg your forgiveness, you will smile and say.. ok... but still feel nothing... after this stage and SD behaving you will not mind going out to dinner with her and her family and DH, you will respect each other enough to spend hour or two together in a group without feeling anything...

You're right Acra! And raise good points. I just doubt she will ever grow up enough to act civil. She enjoys drama too much.

sammigirl's picture

After eight years of total disengagement, I just don't care any more.

Anger is manageable. How you manage it is up to your thinking process. I find if I think about the past and my SD, I get very angry to this day; therefore, I change my thinking process; pretend it's like releasing a bunch of beautiful helium balloons or freeing a bird from a cage; let the anger go.

I find something constructive to do for the day; SD is not worth wasting my life. I've been married to her Dad for almost 38 years; she is nothing to me, nor is SD a part of my life for the past eight years.

It gets easier, but you have to take control of your own destination; which means you put yourself first. This site is the most help to me.

(((hugs)))

Thanks Sammi! I'm trying to get to the poi y you're at in my disengagement. I will try the "release of helium balloons" tactic. Hugs back to you, you are a great cyber role model!

peacemaker's picture

I haven't been able to get to the point that I totally do not care about them. I really don't want their inability to function in a relationship to have that much control over who I become as a person on the inside. What helps me stop the rehearsing over and over again in my head (and sometimes I still do)...is realizing that they are a product of their parent's upbringing. Not mine. I separate myself from that arena. With that being said...I try to see them as living in their own understanding, or their own way of doing things. I try to keep my thinking about them to a minimum, and push the subject matter back into their "lane". It is their baggage...their drama, and their obstacle course to have to work out now that they are adults.

At first I thought the rejection was awful...but now I realize, what a blessing it was for me to accommodate their ignorant state of being by appeasing their desire to have nothing to do with me. So, I obliged their wishes. I really do love them, but I do not enjoy engaging with them. and, yes, I matter. I also get to choose. So, it's ok. They are so focused on what I am not, that they failed to recognize the awesomeness I bring to the table...and now, They are laying in their own self induced relationship coma when it comes to me.

My husband finally sees the mistakes he has made in the past by not establishing healthy boundaries (or, at least he says he has)..and my airplane has left the runway regarding waiting for them to get it together. Life is just too short to keep focusing on them all the time...There are so many great things happening to celebrate in my life since I put them and their issues on the back burner. It helped to step back and push the reset button...Peace.

sammigirl's picture

peacemaker: Every disengagement has it's own circumstances, thus giving it different solutions. I have reached the point of not caring what my SD56 and SGD32 (mother/daughter) think, say, or do. I am a bit confused on one solution in my situation; I also do not want their control to rule who I really am as a person.

I do not want to be engaged with these women in any way; I don't even want to be in the same room with them. Although there are other family members of DH's that I do well with. I am proud to say "I have never had words with either women". I have just disengaged with no explanation. It wouldn't change anything and would just add fuel to the fire to verbally address SD and SGD, because they love drama and gossip.

I have made many changes, since disengaging, in regards to boundaries for myself. We have had, and I'm sure will have, in the future, occasions we have to all be together. I have handled it well, with no pre-thought in the past two years. DH has been in and out of the hospital and SD and SGD have stopped by our home to visit DH. I have been able to be graceful and not engage with SD and SGD, at the same time. I hope to continue this route.

I believe in "live and let live"; SD and SGD have to always be in control. My goal is to stay within my boundaries of disengagement and still have the grace to hold my tongue. How do you do this on a constant basis? I now have the upper hand in my disengagement; but if I give DH, SD, and SGD one inch, they take 12 inches and are back to their rude selves???? It is very frustrating when all I want to do is be supportive of my sick husband and these women spend all their time trying to make me the awful SM.

I will never re-engage and I stay away from them as much as I am able. But these women are pushy and never stop trying. My DH thinks they are just being so nice to me and I know how passive aggression works. My husband also sees the mistakes he has made in the past, but he will never step up and change his behavior in the future; I don't think he knows how to change, because he is who he is; nor does he see their silent aggression. Therefore, I move forward an event at a time.

I am dreading the holidays for sure.

I know what caused our problems; DH betrayed me to SD, who ran with it and delighted in her Father's attention. My DH is to blame and I have told him that he caused the problem with SD and myself. Therefore, his is not in the dark, but I know DH and SD will do it again, if I don't stay disengaged.

peacemaker: you are correct, they do not realize how good it could be, if they would just drop the mind games. I am a people person and love socializing, even with people I don't care for, if they show me respect. These women will not go 15 minutes without a nasty remark to me. I am not one to have comebacks, therefore I want to just walk out and leave my DH standing there; but again I will not lower myself to react to them.

Ugh....

still learning's picture

"my airplane has left the runway regarding waiting for them to get it together. Life is just too short to keep focusing on them all the time."

Thanks for this Peacemaker. I feel this way about skids, many of my family members, and old friends who I tried to keep a friendship going with for far too long. I cut Facebook out of my life, stopped chasing people and the drama level dropped to almost nil. People still try to start stuff now and then but I know that it takes my reaction for the drama to manifest. If skids say something snarky then I'll just look confused like I have no idea what they're talking about. When my mother decides to make a grand dramatic entrance in my life and blame me for all the family problems I start the timer and end the call after 15 mins. The old friends have pretty much faded away once they realized that I don't play in their sandbox anymore. Life is quieter and I like it that way.

sammigirl's picture

still learning: I no longer work at my relationship with my SD and SGD; it has not worked and I have a full peaceful life now also. I never chased people, I am a leader, and believe "to each his own".

I guess I just want my SD and SGD to fall off the face of the earth, but I hate the fact I have become so hard. Life is too short to put up with the continual bad treatment; which is less, now that I am disengaged. I don't care any more, it's difficult to understand why people can't just be respectful; you don't have to love each other to show respect.

I enjoy reading your posts, as well as Peacemaker's; because I learn to control my emotions thru this good advice I receive here.

peacemaker's picture

...When they lose the ability to enter in to the relationship with respect and honor...
They lose the right to enter into the relationship...Peace.

bedazzled's picture

I agree. I too will no longer work at my relationship with my SD or SS. I feel a real peace about that. I don't have the feeling of gloom in the pit of my stomach anymore either.
It has felt really good to stand up to DH and say enough. I will not be walked on and bullied anymore. I will no longer be the only one trying and get crapped on. I never asked for them to love me just treat me with respect. I too wish they would fall off the earth. I am sad too that I have become so hard. On the other hand I am proud of myself and feel good about myself for being able to stand up to DH. I feel better about myself than I have in years. Even for DH I will not walk down that road again and let them treat me that way. He should not want his wife to be on that road. This might be a bad thing to say but I hope SD's husband and his family treat her with the same disrespect they have shown me.

It is making DH very angry that I am disengaging. I don't care. He made this bed now he can lie in it. He should shoulder the pain I have for all these years. It is time for him to be uncomfortable and me to be comfortable. This is his and BM's circus act they created. The two of them created toxic NPD offspring. They should suffer the results of their labor. I will never re-engage. They are dead to me.

Yes Moose, exactly what you said! As far as your Dh, mine played a part too and was also upset about my disengement, even tried the whole "temper tantrum" thing that used to work on me. I just walked away and left him to it. The next approach was, "sometimes people don't like to see people happy and we are, more then anyone we know 'WE' should just ignore their drama and still welcome them with open arms and be the bigger persons, that's what I do". My response to that, before I walked away was "you can be a doormat and tolerate bullshit from people, I will set boundaries, I deserve to be happy just like everyone else and I don't f*** with other people or get in their business". He gets it now. Still probably feel like I'm doing something to hurt him but I'm doing it to help me. Like you said, he made his bed...

Very well said Peacemaker! You've described every thing I fill and felt. I had to read this 3 times to let it sink in. Thanks for summing up my feelings and walking through the aftermath!

Oldfool's picture

You know what they say about KARMA.... The reliable source informed me yesterday that my partner's 39 year old worthless son tried to bring people (his floozies) into the neighbours house and the reliable source refused to let him in. The reliable source told me that my partner's worthless son wanted to beg food from them to feed his latest flame.

a- Why cant he feed the girl himself?
b- Is this latest girl pregnant?
c- Why cant he take the girl to where he actually lives?

He knows he cannot knock MY door...

I was killing myself laughing.

It has since transpired that he has worn out his welcome at my neighbour's house.......

Now the neighbour knows that every word I said was THE TRUTH...

DISENGAGEMENT FEELS GOOD!!!!!!!!!

notasm3's picture

My DH’s worthless POS son is no one who would ever add anything but grief to my life. So he is permanently removed. DH can see him away from me if he wants to and that’s okay with me.

CANYOUHELP's picture

You cannot make people like you, but you can teach them how to treat you. Family treats family like family, not a spare unwanted piece of furniture. Being abused in the name of family is stupidity if you tolerate it.

Staying away from this dynamic alleviates the drama and makes you part of a positive solution. If you are around it at all, you will be accused of something....anyway.

I think the better I get at saying to myself-- they do not exist to ME any longer, the better I am at not making any of the mess part of my thought process. They no longer exist in my life and they are strangers to me (to say the least).