You are here

Am I the only SM who observes and wonders

Focused_onourlife's picture

If couples you see out in public are in a blended family situation? Not everywhere I go but in some situations. Like this evening, I stopped at publix to get a few items I needed for dinner. There was a couple in front of me entering the store with 2 small children (one child around 4ish and one infant around 8 months). The wife was holding the 4 y/o hand and the child was whinny as all get out but the wife didn't budge she lead the little girl, while walking at a steady pace slightly in front of the little girl while the HB pushed the infant in the cart but HB kept looking back at the little girl as if his preference was to switch places with his wife/SO and give the little girl some TLC.

I was in the same aisle as them a few times and each time the little girl was still whinning and calling "daddeeeee" but was now in the back of the cart. I got in line to checkout and they got in the next line over a few seconds later. The HB was still pushing the cart while the SO was loading the groceries from the cart and the little girl was now full blown crying daddeeee and snot nosed trying to climb towards daddeeee. Finally the HB made his way to the little girl stroking her hair and she climbed out of the cart onto daddeee so he picked her up and the SO just looked at HB and rolled her eyes and turned her back toward the whole cart. Of course since daddeee was now holding the little girl, she was suddenly happy. 

I had to take one last glance at the 2 kido's and noticed they looked nothing alike but the infant looked like SO with HB's hair and the little girl looked like neither. I felt so nosey and curious at the same time because of the way the little girl and SO behaved. I then started to wonder if that SO was a member of ST. 

Notup4it's picture

I have never thought this actually.  I always assume it is a nuclear family.... I have no idea why that hasn’t crossed my mind

CompletelyPuzzled's picture

I do often wonder because of my own situation, but I dont think most people even consider it. Anytime me and DH are out with our kids, people will refer to me as SD's mom. They even do it at the school and doctor. We never correct them,  even though she doesn't call me mom.  Truthfully, DH and I just refer to all of them as our kids.  It will be interesting when our baby is born next month, as she is our first kid together.

susanm's picture

I notice it all the time but maybe that is just because of my own situation.  I think I must have had STEPMOTHER tattooed on my forehead or something.  Very rarely did anyone assume that the skids were mine.  I don't look that dissimilar than them but they were always so awkward around me and in such a loyalty bind with their mother that they did everything but hang a sign around their neck telling the world that they were only in my presence under protest.  Even the brattiest bio-teen has a familiarity with their mother while being a complete snot to her but not a skid who hates your existence.  So seeing the signs is pretty easy if you have lived them.

classyNJ's picture

I also observe and wonder.

Last week DH and I flew home and while waiting for the luggage I saw two children having fun with a woman.  All 3 were laughing and joking as the man stood and stared at the belt waiting for the luggage to start.  

The three of them decided to sit on the belt and the man said - what are you doing?  don't sit on that.

I told my DH that she is either his GF or SM because they were having way too much fun for just finishing a flight and picking up luggage.