You are here

Christmas recap

WaterOffaDucksBack's picture
Forums: 

Hi everyone! Happy belated holidays! Can't believe VDay will be here before we all know it!

I'm curious what everybody's take is on what transpired over Christmas. 

DH and I have been together for nearly 11 years. Until SD22 was 17 and began living with us, DH bought gifts for her to give me (expected, and I did the same for my DD17, they were minors afterall). But when he left her to provide gifts on her own, I was no longer included. The superficial relationship I had with SD22 when she moved into our home then, became strained and quickly nonexistent. She made it very clear that I didn't mean anything to her, and I was not a part of her family. I foolishly tried to buy her love at Christmas in the past and always spoiled her, trying to make her feel welcome and wanted in our home. After she moved out, I spent way too much on her again at Christmas later that year, trying to find a way to reconcile and heal our relationship (her love language is gifts), as DH and I now had a BS together. The next year, I decided to do Hope Chests for my SD and DD for the next few years, to help prepare them for when they eventually moved out on their own (I will admit this was my passive aggressive way of telling SD to adult and stop mooching off of her grandparents that she was, and is, living with). The next year, no gift again for me or BS. He was just over 1, and didn't really know what was going on so it didn't bother me SD didn't get him anything. I also chose to work (I worked nights at the time) 12/23-12/25 to minimize my time with SD (I didn't want to ruin everyone's holiday because of my bad attitude, and I wanted DH to be forced to put his focus primarily on BS, NOT his adult SD). The next day DH went for a road trip and when he came back a few days later I asked him if he had seen any presents for me from SD, as I was cleaning up the decorations and didn't see any from her for me. DH lost it! He began talking about how selfish I was, how none of my presents said who they were from, and I was rude, and didn't like SD, etc. I tried explaining how it hurt to be intentionally left out by SD, as she couldn't even bring herself to write my name on the card she gave DH. He wasn't willing to back down, and was being irrational, and this was not a hill I wanted to die on. I apologized and ended the conversation. The next year, SD made a big scene about having presents for "everyone." She had us all sit around the table, and then passed them out to everyone in our family - except for me (again, not even my name was included on the card for DH). No one said anything about how rude that was. My DD wanted to, but I told her to wait to talk to her until she moves out when she starts college. The worst part was DH didn't say anything, and it was such a blatant disrespectful slap in my face, that hurt more than anything. After what transpired with last year's gift debacle, I didn't say anything negative about SD or being hurt by her behavior (Thank goodness for ST! Later that night was when I discovered this amazing site, and the world of disengaging.) The next day, DH waited until SD and I were in the living room (not talking to each other), and he sat down next to me. Then he mentioned how the gift card SD got him was going to be used by both of us on something of my choosing, as it really was meant for both of us. SD didn't say a word, but got up and pouted in a different room (I know she was trying to make me upset, causing DH and I to fight - her ultimate plan for us to be divorced).

Now that you have the background of Christmases past, here is what happened this last Christmas. After learning about disengaging, I began doing it. Whenever she visits, I don't talk to her unless she talks to me, and I stopped trying to buy the love she will never have for me (DH and I have always had separate finances, so that was easy to do on my end). I worked Christmas Eve, and took call that night and the next day (again wanting to minimize my time with SD). Everywhere we went, SD NEVER acknowledged or said 1 word to me or my dad (Christmas Eve service, my MIL's, then back to our home). I said a general hi to everyone, and they all responded each time - again except for SD. I told them all at my MIL's that I had to work in the morning, but would hopefully be home by noon. When we got home, DH asked if I wanted to have SD and DD open their Hope Chest presents (they both knew this was the final year of this) now since SD22 wouldn't be able to stay after 1200 (this was longer than she has ever stayed with us, as she usually left around 0600 to spend Christmas Day with her BM and their family) and I agreed. I grabbed some presents for BS4 to open, too, so he wouldn't feel left out. After the presents from me were opened, DH went outside for a break for a few minutes. SD22 then announced that she had presents for "everyone." She brought out 2 bags for my DD (SD adores my DD and has always given her thoughtful gifts), their tags read, "To: DD17 Love: SD22." Then SD sat down near where DH was sitting earlier, and she had 3 small gifts in front of her. BS4, being an innocent child, asked, "Hey SD22! Are any of those gifts for me?" SD replied, "No." I tried to prompt her, saying, "SD22, are you sure one of those aren't for BS4 AND your dad?" With a flat affect, non-emotive response, SD22 again simply said, "No." My poor little BS4 started bawling, and it broke my heart. BS's preschool for the past month had been focusing on kindness (what is it, how are others kind to me, how can I be kind to others, etc.). I used that lesson, and I told SD22 what I've been wanting to say for the past 5 years, "BS4, I am so sorry that SD22 was so unkind. It is bad manners, and not kind, to come into a home bringing gifts for everyone except for 1 person. It is not kind to exclude others like that. I'm so sorry BS4... SD22, don't you dare pull that stunt again in my home. You either bring gifts for everyone, or you bring gifts for no one. That was bad manners." DH came back inside right after I finished talking, and asked very concerned why BS4 was crying? Was he hurt, what's wrong? I said very calmly, but I'm sure coldly, "SD22 has a gift for everyone except BS4. He is hurt and sad because SD22 was inconsiderate." Then SD22 said, all smiles, "Here dad!" And gave him 2 presents ("To: DH Love: SD22"). DH saved the day, and said, "Hey BS4, SD22 was wrong! This one says it's for me AND you. Come help me open it." BS4"s tears finally stopped. The 2 gifts for DH were candy! Why wouldn't SD22 just lie and play along that at least 1 box was for BS4 and DH?! Then SD22 gave me 1 gift (all the tag said was "Duck"), having waited until DH was there to show how wonderful she was. Then we went to bed, and I went to work in the morning. Thankfully SD22 was gone when I got home, and I was able to genuinely enjoy the rest of the holiday.

Here's where I need all of your sage wisdom and insight. I think SD22 deliberately didn't give BS4 a gift to hurt me and BS4 (he is clearly the favorite of DH). My DD17 thinks I'm reading too much into it, and that this wasn't about me at all. That it was a simple mistake that unfortunately happened. I call bullshit on that though! DD17 said that SD22 told her that she didn't know BS4 would want a present, and was horrified that he would always remember this and would hate her forever. I think SD22 was lying because: she gave BS4 a present last year and saw he enjoyed it, she has younger cousins around BS's age (I know she's seen them open presents for bday, Christmas, etc.), and what 4 year old doesn't like presents?! Besides, if you're only going to buy presents for part of the family, you should only buy for the children. I think SD22 was just trying to save face so DD17 wouldn't have another reason not to like her (SD22 and DD17 do get along).

What do you all think?

cmwolfe1264's picture

Oh yes it was intentional, which is very sad that she would do that to a little boy.  She's angry that BS is Daddy's favorite so she got back at him for it.  I'm so sorry for the games you have to deal with with her.  When I read stories like this, I am greatful that my DH and I did not have our own biological children because I know that my stepdaughters would have been very cruel to any child we had together especially if it had been a girl!

notsurehowtodeal's picture

Of course she did it on purpose. That being said, why do you keep setting yourself up for this type of behavior every Christmas? Let it go.

From this point forward, make sure that you and BS on not there for the present exchange. Let DH and BD and SD have their time together while you and BS go do something fun. Do not discuss Christmas presents and SD with DH at all.

Survivingstephell's picture

She needs a taste of her own medicine.  Your own daughter needs to see this lesson unfold.  I would dump all gift giving into DH's lap.  If he remembers,great but do not prompt him.  Do not save him.  Do not help with suggestions or anything.  

SD has made herself know to YOU.  She also made herself known to her little brother.  You can't change her or control what she does but you can continue the lessons his preschool is teaching and add to them by teaching him to recognize the type of people you keep at a distance because they do nothing but hurt people.  

I would watch for SD to draw your own daugher away from you.  I wouldn't worry about saving that relationship.  Once SD realizes that you aren't playing her game, she will do things to get you to react and your BD would be an easy pawn for her to latch onto.  

I have never once doubted the loyalty of my BD, but SD22 is so incredibly manipulative I could see the potential of this happening. I will definitely do what I can to keep my bio children as far away from her as possible, and limit their time together. Next time she visits I think I'll whisk my kids away for a fun and spontaneous getaway and let DH be alone with SD.

SteppedOut's picture

I agree that this was on purpose to hurt your child and by extention, you.

Curious since you didn't mention... what has your dh said about SD's cruel behavior? Certainly he KNOWS that this was intentional poor behavior?

Such a shame people can be so terrible to small children like this. Don't feel alone, my formerSS13 was rude, mean and then started doing things to physically harm my babyBS. I left my formerSO when my baby was 5 months old. My SO did nothing to disapline or change formerSS bad behavior, instead made excuses or didn't believe he did things.

DH has yet to say anything about the awful and malicious intentions of SD22 that night. DH is conflict-avoidant, and has already told me in the past when I wanted him to step up as her father that since she was over 18 and no longer living with us, he had no desire to parent SD22 anymore; that he didn't want to spend their time together with him lecturing her and wanted to only be her friend. I was disgusted when he said that...  I know he has some major guilt issues regarding SD22, and they'll never be resolved until he's ready to tackle them (which, honestly, will probably never happen). He was VERY excited about my suggestion for no Christmas gifts for adults in our home moving forward, and there's clearly a reason why he was supportive of us gifting SD the latest etiquette book at her last birthday!

I am so sorry to hear about how your XSS treated your BS. That is deplorable! Good for you for protecting your baby and your self!

SteppedOut's picture

FormerSS behavior was horrible, but I think it was equally horrible for my formerSO to ignore and make excuses for the behavior. He ALLOWED his son to try to hurt our son! If my older son tried even half what he did there would be hell to pay! (My older son loves him, so no worries.)

I just couldn't believe he allowed such behavior, it really caused a lot of resentment and ulitmately it caused the death of our relationship. Do you have feelings of resentment because your husband "allows" that behavior? 

I definitely did when SD was living with us. I was relieved when I told him we had crossed the line and were no longer helping SD22 but were now enabling her in being a nonproductive adult (NOT allowed in our home). He agreed and supported me in putting her through my "bootcamp," which, then caused her to run away to her enabling maternal grandparents (we were hoping she'd get a job and move out, but apparently that required too much effort on her behalf). The weird thing though is my DH has zero problem disciplining my DD. He isn't overly harsh or strict with her, he's very reasonable. BS has DH wrapped around his finger for the time being, but I've seen him discipline BS when necessary. DH just seems incapable of doing so with SD... like he said, SD is now a "friend" and not really a daughter to be parented, as far as he's concerned.

I've been thinking, how much does SD truly affect my life? She is chronologically an adult (although clearly not in any other capacity), doesn't live with us, only visits about 6 times a year, and isn't being supported in any fashion with my money. I can't control her or my DH, but I can control what my children will know is/isn't acceptable. And no matter what I say or do, it may always be taken the wrong way by SD and DH, so f@%# it! I'll be the better person and lead by example for my children, but I will no longer stay silent and allow piss-poor behavior in my home. Worst case scenario, I will boldly and proudly declare how whatever SD22 is doing/saying is unacceptable and then remove myself and my children from being around her. 

SD22 has yet to do anything to physically harm BS, and she will rue the day if she ever dares. I cannot believe your X used to allow and tolerate such horrible behavior, and against a poor defenseless baby no less! Please don't ever doubt that you made the wrong decision in leaving him!

SteppedOut's picture

I will never doubt the decision, for sure!

I am glad your sd is not around much. I think I would plan to be away when she is going to be around as much as possible (I can only assume that is dufficult) and definitely call her out on the behavior when she tries crap! 

Rags's picture

Considering that past behavior is the best indicator of future behavior and performance.... this was just more of her toxic manipulative crap.  Turds don't change their stench. No matter how they may try to polish themselves, they are still turds.

SD-22 is a turd and a write off. So write her off.  You played this perfectly by applying the pre-school lesson from DS-4 and smacking SD-22 in the face with it.  Next time..... play that card in front of her father.  He can't mitigate it and she can't try to spin it if you bare her ass in front of daddy.

I am sorry that you and your  young son are forced to be exposed to this toxic adult prior relationship crotch dropping.

Good luck.

Java_Junkie's picture

I'd recommend you sit that 22YO down and ask her what kind of relationship she wants with you.

I'd offer to be cordial. Like with a coworker I see in the hallways at work, I'd smile and say hi, that's about it.

And of course, when there's birthday cake in the break room, I'll share and have cake and wish her a happy BDay, but that's it.

BDay gifts, Christmas, cards, any of that other stuff, these are people with whom I work. Same for that SKid.

It appears she wants that kind of relationship. Asking is no guarantee you'll know the truth, but at least you'll set that boundary.

It would be nice to clearly know where SD22 stands in that regard, and to hear the words come out of her mouth. However, my XH was all talk and no action, so words don't mean a lot to me. Actions are what impress me, and make an impact. Actions are the true testament of what people think and feel. SD22's actions, over the past 5 years especially, clearly demonstrate that she has no desire to have a relationship with me (nor her little brother unless she is trying to make DH see what a "good girl" she is). I have told her in the past that I'm here for her whenever she needs me, only to be continuously disrespected by her, and in my own home no less. She has made it clear that I am not a SM, and do not have a SD. She doesn't even recognize me as the wife of DH (together for almost 11, married for 8!)... why should I bother ever reaching out to her again? I'll be cordial and polite, and view her as one of DH's long distance friends that decides to visit every once in a while (especially when she can have her hand out and it will benefit her), but she has made it very clear that we aren't friends, and never will be.