You are here

Wow! Her new attorney is being so aggressive

Biostep7777's picture

HCBM fired her old attorney and hired a "bulldog" apparently. He is being so over the top. He wants to depose me and we settled on a date then he got called into court so asked about the next day. I have my kids and gave a few dates that I'm available which is the following week. Well it's during HCBM's vacation dates with the kids but we have the opposite schedule from her so naturally the dates we are available will be on her custody time. That's not really my problem. So, he emailed my attorney and said I'm playing games and if I want cooperation from them then I better stop it and blah blah blah. Ummmm I don't want cooperation from them! I don't really care about any of this. It's stupid and a witch hunt. He's out of control just like HER. Every interaction with him he has been SOOOOO aggressive and confrontational. He's going to be like this in the deposition and I'm so pissed! They are both high conflict. Ugh!

lieutenant_dad's picture

Have your attorney tell hers that you'll depose when you're ordered to by a judge because you aren't party to this case. Then entertain no more interactions from the attorney.

He's being an a-hole to intimidate you because he knows he can't actually stick anything to you. Don't give anything else unless he gets something from a judge saying you have to.

Biostep7777's picture

Well I was subpoenaed so I have to do it. Otherwise they would get the judge to ok it and I might have to pay her legal fees. 

this entire thing is so out of control crazy to me. I can't even believe the shit they are doing and getting away with. 

Maxwell09's picture

Just remember you're allowed to think before you answer and "I don't know/recall/remember" is a valid answer to almost anything. 

Winterglow's picture

"How is that question relevant to the case in hand?" might be another option (to be followed with one of Maxwell09's responses after they answer you). 

lieutenant_dad's picture

Then you can continue to drag this out until it's convenient for you. You're not being obtuse; you're busy. He changed the original date, you offered alternatives, none of them work for him, so he better figure it out. He's still just trying to bully you because, again, he likely knows that what you say won't have any impact but he's being the bulldog for his client.

Don't let him scare you. Follow the advice of your attorney. If you have to hire a sitter, send the bill to the bulldog attorney. He created this craptastic situation. He can stew and deal with BM yelling at him for not moving faster because he's a jackass.

FinallySkidFree's picture

Your lawyers response should be  "My client gave all the dates that she is available. If the plaintiff can't work with that schedule then we would be more than happy to hire a sitter and send the bill to the plaintiff for payment. Once that request is approved we will be at your disposal and can come to be deposed anytime you wish as long as we have 72 hour notice to make child care arrangements for the children."

Thumper's picture

OHHHHH  geeze, On top of everything,,, HE (other side) Is playing the email game and your attorney is sending HIS emails to you. They are both playing it.

1. Tell your lawyer to NOT forward the other sides email to you.  OP--this is a new thing that is going on since email has taken over telephone calls. . It stirs up more conflict. Tell your attorney you expect him to handle these things OR pick up the phone and call you directly IF he cant handle it. , NOT read opposing counsel's emails cha ching,   THEN send email to YOU cha ching,  and expect you to respond. THEN charges fee' again to read your email CHA CHING.. It's like double dipping.

IF your lawyer has a question tell him to pick up the phone OR have paralegal call. THEN ask your lawyer what he charges for reading AND sending every single emails and text (if applicable). Oh, and ask how much he charges for calls...10min blocks?

Her new lawyer is burying everyone in paper work. Adds UP billable hours every single time.

Is her lawyer free? Stranger things have happened.

Sorry about this. It's crazy, I know.

lieutenant_dad's picture

I like this.

"Attorney, either you handle this in my best interests or I find someone else who can. I hired you to sort this crap out and give me a plan of action. I'm not going to keep paying you for email conversations that you should be able to sort out yourself."

IDontCare3117's picture

The atty is keeping OP updated which he is supposed to do.  A paralegal's time is billable, too.  

Litigation is expensive, and very little cost-cutting can be done.

Rags's picture

We went the killer shark attorney approach.  Though far more expensive per hour, it was dirt cheap compared to the "can't we just all get along"  placating attorney we originally went to war against the SpermClan with.  

We spent $10K+ with the placater in the first 5 years of the war and $5K with the shark for the last 11 years we lived under the CO, and that included coordinating and closing my adoption of SS-28 when he was 22yo, 4 years after he aged out from under the CO,  which had nothing to do with the SpermClan war.

Find a killer attorney and start beating up the BM and her asshole attorney.  At the very least I would start by having your attorney file a cease and desist against her attorney as well as an RO/PO for his harassing you.  Go after his professional reputation and his livelihood.  Layers don't like that.

Your attorney needs to tell her retained asshole that they are the ones that must accommodate your availability and not the other way around.

"Yes, no , I do not recall. I will not discuss my husband. A his wife I am not required to. As I am not a party to the case, that information is none of your business.  I am available on the following dates and time. My schedule is very fluid and can change at any time. If you want to depose me, let me know within the next business day which day and time you want me to pencil you in for."

None of the endless droning of a placating lawyer.  Play to win. Or don't play at all.  Never forget that your attorney works for you. If they do not deliver to your expectation, fire them and hire one with a history and reputation for delivering.

IMHO of course.

Ispofacto's picture

Her old attorney wasn't abusive enough for her taste.  She hired a new one, to abuse you.  That's what she's paying for, abuse.  It won't work if you don't let it.  Then all her money will be wasted.  And nothing changes legally.

Yawn.

Her old attorney explained to her that she cannot have you horsewhipped.  She fired him for that.  Poor her.

Biostep7777's picture

It seems strange. He's attacking his client's ex husband's wife? What a loser!