You are here

Help with Adult Stepchildren

CandyLou's picture

Hello - I have been reading this forum on adult stepchildren and like many of you have been feeling hurt and anguished for several years. My partner and I have been together for four years. He has two children daughter 25 and son 23. I have a daughter 15 and son 13. Anyway to cut a long story short, my situation is that my partner's kids have expressed that they just want their dad and not me around. We had some get togethers in the past and I thought things were going fine (although slightly awkward, but understandably so). However I haven't seen them now for almost a year.

My partner takes his kids out to dinner once a week. They live an hour away so he drives up there, takes them to dinner and comes home. They will not come to our home, they say it's too far but realistically I know it's because they don't want to be around me. Apart from that he sees them occasionally for other events that might come up. They say "we just want you dad" and he goes along. He never speaks to them about it because he doesn't want to rock the boat and he loves to spend time with them.

I was okay with this arrangement of them having this time together and felt it was important for their relationship. However what it means is that I am never a part of the picture. Last year I saw them about two times and both times I went up their way to see them.

The latest incident is that this past Christmas they expressed to their dad that they were going to Brisbane with their mum to see their cousins, etc (this is where my partner is from) and they wanted him to come along. They specified they only wanted him. My partner didn't tell me this had happened because he felt torn and didn't want to hurt me. I heard him whispering a few days before Christmas and asked him what was going on (he was talking to his family about going). He finally told me he wanted to go to Brisbane for Christmas to be with his kids. I started crying my eyes out. We had already planned Christmas, just the two of us but my partner said he wanted to be with his children. I asked if I could come and he said no, the kids just wanted him. So he left on Christmas eve for 4 days and I was left alone on Christmas day as my kids were with their dad. I have no family here either. I felt devastated and two months later I am still not over it.

Since then my partner has been trying to make up for what he did, through kindness, etc but never by addressing this issue with his kids. He recently had his birthday and invited his kids to come out with us, but they said no, they would just see him at their weekly visit.

Does anyone have any advice on what I should do? I love my partner very much, he is a very loving man and I can see he is riddled with guilt as he was the one who left the marriage. Do I just accept that I am not a part of his kids' lives and let my partner continue with these weekly visits? My partner said he would keep inviting his kids to do things, but to me this is not the way to deal with it, when they keep saying no. He won't talk to them about what is really going on. I know I can't force his kids to want a relationship with me. It just hurts so much.

Thank you for listening.I appreciate any thoughts/advice you may have.
Candy

CandyLou's picture

Hi Snickersgal - thank you so much for taking the time to respond. I really appreciate it. Just to clarify my partner has nothing to do with his ex, they never see each other and when he goes out with his kids every week he takes them to dinner. He has definitely apologised and said he would never do it again but it still hurts.

I have been around his kids before, it seemed to be going well at first but then gradually died down to the point where I hardly see them.

No we aren't married, my partner doesn't want to get married as he sees himself as a failure after his first marriage. I don't see it that way at all, he was married 20 years, that's a commitment to me!

I don't see this weekly visit thing changing as my partner loves to see his kids so the only thing I can do as you say is include me somehow. Hopefully this will change but I'm giving up hope.

Thanks again for your post.

CandyLou's picture

Hello Stepaside! I read some of your posts, your situation is tough too. Thanks for taking the time to respond. My partner and I aren't married, he isn't ready for that.

I am seeing a counsellor and she agrees with you, the issue is my partner moreso than the children. So it's up to him to make some changes and tell his kids how he feels.

He suffers from an extreme fear of losing his kids which is really sad. When he was going through his divorce his kids refused to speak to him unless their mom got 100% of the assets. He would go up and wait for them in the restaurant and they just wouldn't turn up. So I saw him go through a lot of pain back then.

It's really sad to witness, I just feel helpless and it brings out feelings in me that are so strong and unbearable.

Thanks again.

CandyLou's picture

Thanks for your post stepaside. Wow, it's hard to imagine 18 years you have lived with stepkids!! I spoke to my BF (still learning these acronyms) lol and he said he is willing to do anything to keep our relationship. I don't have the same issue as many of the people in these forums of being treated like crap by his kids because I don't even see them. His daughter is also completely regressed as every time she gives him a gift, it will be something like a mug with pictures of her and her brother when they were little in Disneyland. So I think she has never dealt with the grief of her parents divorcing. Sometimes I do feel bad for them because they thought everything was perfect in their parent's marriage because my partner was such a pushover. Not to mention their mom is still unhappy so that doesn't help. When I have been with his kids they have been pleasant but they just dont' seem interested in having anything to do with me.
I spoke to my counsellor yesterday and she said as long as my partner is at least making an effort that is the best outcome. She said not to worry so much if the kids actually come around, so long as my partner shows me he is trying to make things better.

It's a long and draining process that's for sure. I feel sad reading everyone's stories on here knowing how much pain and anguish blended families have caused everyone.

iloveit's picture

Candylou this does sound a lot like my situation! Your bf sounds very similar to mine too. He loves you very much and mine reminds me everyday and tells me how lucky he feels to have me...that feels really good to hear. I have also heard those words, that he will do anything to salvage the relationship. So far my bf has done everything he can to maintain a healthy relationship with me and has kept good on his word so I hope that gives you a little hope. Try not to read too much into other blogs that make you sad because EVERYONE has a different situation. I also did that when I first came on. It's ok to be happy or in a good mood feeling positive about a conversation you have with SO Smile Don't be afraid to tell us good things! I like those!

iloveit's picture

StepAside I would not advise ANYONE on here to not listen to your input and in fact, I respect the things you say and always hope that you will respond to my blogs and my posts on here because of that! I simply meant to take things with a grain of salt and I only say that because I know how easy it is to get discouraged when you compare yourself to others and their situations. She mentioned that she read other stories that made her sad and I don't want her to get down or give up hope is all. It's all great perspective on here good, bad, or indifferent! I don't start drama on here nor do I intend to so I hope you don't think that's what I was trying to do. What I wrote certainly was not directed at you, I'm not like that. Sorry for the confusion.

sandye21's picture

Going out to dinner with his kids once a week is one thing - taking a Christmas trip with them and the ex is another. This shows absolutely no respect for you. I wonder what he would say if you went on a trip with an ex? I agree with Foxie; save up for a fantastic trip by yourself or save up to dump his ass.

JMC's picture

Your SO needs to grow some balls, his kids need to grow up and you need to stand up for yourself. It's not like they're little bitty kids - they're adults but unfortunately your SO still treats them like they're babies. Dinner every week? No way! Maybe once a month or so but not every week. Does he take YOU out that often? I would certainly hope so!

As far as leaving you alone at Christmas to go with his adult kids and ex, that would pretty much send me packing. Totally disrespectful not to mention sending the wrong message to the kids and ex.

He needs to have a come-to-Jesus meeting with those brats and tell them he's a package deal - you're part of his life just as they are. They need to suck it up and deal with it.

iloveit's picture

Ok, I have some things to say I can TOTALLY relate to you on this! I am currently on the other side of ordeals such as you are describing. My SO has two daughters, SD20 and SD23. I have been with their dad 1.5 years and they still refuse to meet me. Like your DH, my SO meets his kids about once a week somewhere for dinner. They don't come over because I am there and this is a known fact - they have said this. This year was the second year he spent Christmas with his kids and parents etc and NOT with me. I have heard the same thing in the past...I don't want to "disrupt the apple cart." What these men are really doing is appeasing these adult children by not rocking the boat yet they can cause us pain in the meantime and put more strain on an already strained relationship? How is that fair? I asked my SO the same question...are we going to do this forever? If they are 25 and older there is NO REASON they cannot be mature human beings. Even before that...adults are 18+ as understood by law regardless of how daddy sees them. They are being babies when the say they don't want you to come along. You are with him and thus a part of the family. I recently told my SO that if he plans to ditch me again for the next Christmas I will be taking a trip ALONE over Christmas because there's not much point in my sticking around if I am going to be left out and lonely. I am a part of the family now. PERIOD. You have been with your DH 4 years now. Even if he JUST left his ex around that time 4 years is more than enough time for his adult brats to accept that you are around. Furthermore, your DH is enabling this and allowing them to dictate to him how his life is going to go. If I were you I would ask him how he feels about not spending Christmas with you. How would he feel to never ever spend Christmas with you again? I have told my SO that he's not choosing me. He's not choosing SD's, he is choosing to go to his mom's on Christmas like he traditionally does and inviting me because I am in his life and important to him. He's not in the middle. He says to his kids...iloveit is coming to Christmas this year, I would love for you both to come but if you are uncomfortable I understand. It is their CHOICE to be included in holiday plans. He's not telling me not to come and he's not saying it to them. The reality here is that they are adults and they are not incapable of deciding things on their own. They just have not been given that responsibility and that is up to your DH and his kids. Tell him that it devastates you that you are excluded and see what he says. If he loves you and genuinely wants you there tell him it means everything to you to make this happen and if he can't...I think you have a choice to make my friend. Do you want to spend the rest of your life alone on Christmas? That does not seem fair to me and you deserve WAY better than that. He is still feeling guilty after 4 years...time to put your foot down and stand as a united front with DH on what YOUR plans for holidays will be.

Again, the idea here is that it is a choice. DH is not pressuring anyone. If they don't want to be there because of you it is their loss not yours and not DH's. It's time they act like adults, not entitled, spoiled little daddy's babies. StepAside said it too...it's sad but unfortunately sometimes these adults are not satisfied with the idea of their dad actually standing together with someone other than their mom and the relationship with dad suffers because of their selfishness and lack of respect. It is what it is but what it doesn't have to be is a sad story of how you are all by yourself during the holidays. I HATE Christmas and dread it every year now even more because of this situation so I know where you are standing and I'm sorry for that. It doesn't have to stay this way...just talk to him and make him work it out with skids...it's his responsibility to be upfront with them and have expectations that any parent should of an adult child.

CandyLou's picture

Hey iloveit thanks for your post. Wow, what similar situations, we should go away together at Christmas! lol.

My situation even started out like yours, where his kids refused to meet me for 1.5 years. May I just say that he has been out of the relationship with his ex for 8 years!! Come on people, move on!! lol.

As I mentioned my partner is so scared of losing his kids that he was nearly ready to lose me over this. How do you stand it to be alone at Christmas two years like that? I don't think I would go through this again next Christmas and my partner reassures me he will never do it again. In fact he is still trying to make up for what he did.

This guilt they feel is incredible.

How come you didn't go to his parents for Christmas the past two years? You must be feeling a lot of pain as well.

I am just amazed what we have to go through and yet I know if I ended this relationship there is a good chance I would find myself in the same situation with someone else.

Thanks again.

iloveit's picture

You know Candylou, I have said before...it used to really bother me to hear that my SO's kids did not want to meet me or were not ready and worse yet that they would say insulting things (that are not true) behind my back. I am everything from a golddigger to a whore to an "adulteress." As I said I am none of these things and perhaps my situation was a little bit more sticky because my SO and his ex still are going through a divorce. It was understood from the beginning (by those who actually listened and chose to believe) that I was NOT the cause of the breakdown of the marriage between him and his ex. He fell out of love with her and checked out of that relationship 10 years ago. I had no part in that. However, SD's refused to believe that at first even though they are starting to come around now. So for awhile I felt like I was this dirty secret. It also does not help or sit well with SD's that I am younger than their father and not much older than them. Don't get me wrong, I am more mature due to life experience etc but they see me a certain way and because they won't meet me, they continue to judge me based on whatever they want to think of me. I don't care anymore. My SO dug his own hole when he chose to enlighten me about what SD's were saying about me and as a result I formed negative opinions of them and judged them right back. Now all 3 of these women in SO's life hate the idea of each other and he started it. I love my SO very much and he has admitted that certain decisions regarding them were mistakes but live and learn I guess. Don't even get me started on their immature behavior and their daddy's girl attitudes. It's awful...if you have a minute, some of these facts are in my blogs.

Christmas has been a bit of a different situation. The first year his kids didn't even know I was around since we JUST started dating not long before that AND it was their first Christmas with a broken family. We decided that they needed some time to adjust and it wouldn't be fair to throw me into the picture for my own good as well. I actually was not sad and had a good time with my own family. His kids were still feeling sorry for BM at the time and defending her which I understand...it's their mother after all and she was hurting. I look back on it now and I don't know how I would feel if my dad left my mother after 20+ years and then brought some woman to my family's house who was MUCH younger than my mother. Before I defend myself in the situation like I used to, I will say...we just fell in love with each other. We had known each other for years before we started seeing each other so it just happened that way. Do I think it was the best situation for me to get involved with looking back...perhaps not but I'm here and we are head over heels in love with each other so we are making this work.

Anyway, I disagreed with being excluded from Christmas this year but again...guilty daddy found SO appeasing SD's and iloveit goes to her mom and dad's ALONE on Christmas day yet another year. It's funny because my reasons for putting up with this had mostly to do with trying to protect the relationship between him and his kids for HIS benefit and I thought...maybe if I'm not forced on them especially at Christmas they will appreciate that later. HA! I was stupid for that thinking. They will think what they want and believe me the DO! I have learned to hate Christmas so much that this year at 8:00 am on 12/26 I forced SO to get rid of the tree, put away the stockings and all other Christmas crap. I was DONE with it. I wanted no reminders and of course...I was hurt by the events and very unhappy this year. That's when I told SO I love you but if you love me and I am important to you, you will include me as a part of the family next year OR understand why I am taking a trip ALONE without you. I'm not talking about driving across a couple states and staying in a hotel either, I'm going to Italy or something equally as exciting. That's just the way it is. My SO understood that but has said I will be at his mother's for Christmas next year. We'll see I guess...please stand by. I also have the benefit of having my family under an hour away from me right now so I wasn't sitting around our apartment crying and being all alone...I can't believe you had to do that. You could have come to be with my family, we'd love to have you! Smile

I think that your SO can still have a relationship with his kids if they all want it. Like StepAside has said though...if they disagree with you being there they will either try to overthrow you OR they will torture both you and SO forever with their selfishness. In either case, SO needs to be prepared to stand up to them and then also be prepared to lose them OR he does nothing, thus losing you.

StepAside you also bring up a good point about how your SO told you not to make him choose and you never did. You're absolutely correct, it's a decision for the adult skids to be in their dad's life and accept this gf or it looks like they won't be seeing much of dad. I like that you say you never put him in that position yet others viewed the situation as a "war" with sides to choose and opponents. It's so true. And it's very sad. I am not intersted now nor am I interested in the future of doing any battle with these people. I will walk/drive away if they start any games or crap with me...I don't need to put up with it. I read in another blog one time that you have actually done this. Good for you. Put your kids in the car and leave. You'll have a much better time with your family and also, YOUR kids won't be subjected to this harmful and unhealthy psychological game playing either. I want to do this the right way and I have read on here that other SM's wish they would have put their foot down from the very beginning...that is what I am going to accomplish. As mentioned by LOTS of other steptalkers, we're not a doormat and if we are to be treated as one...it's time to move on.

Shannon61's picture

First let me start off by saying . . Foxie, I love your honesty and your humor Smile Stepaside hit it head on. Treating them to dinner every week has got to cost a small fortune. But this is about control. Also, your DH has allowed them to create this dynamic and exclude you from the relationship. Only he can change it. He needs to tell them you're a package deal and they need to respect you as his wife. He needs to set them straight. And his behavior at Christmas was completely unacceptable. You're a good wife because I likely wouldn't have been there when he returned . .even if I'd just gone to a hotel alone to send him a message.

I too think counseling would help you as well as DH. You are his wife . .the person he exchanged vows with, the number one person in his life and you need to be treated as such. If he stands up to the kids, they'll get angry but they will come back around sooner or later and if not, it's their loss. His first loyalty should be to you his wife.

Good luck.

Jsmom's picture

Wow - You need to lay down some rules. Christmas with his kids and the ex is wrong. Dinner every week is crazy. They are adults. He is wrong for not saying they need to accept his wife. Sorry but, Christmas would have been my last straw....

distorted reality's picture

^^^I agree with ALL of the above.^^^ He is treating you with great inconsideration and by doing so he is teaching his children to do the same. Maybe if he would man up and tell his ADULT kids where to go, their attitudes would eventually change. Spending holidays with his kids AND the EX??? Bullshit! Until you stand up for yourself... both kids and your DH will continue to keep you at arms length. Geez... is he married to them or you???

Hang in there!

CandyLou's picture

I'm really sorry everyone that I worded my post to make it sound like my partner spent Christmas with his ex. What happened is they were all there, but she was with her family, and my partner was with his, and the kids went back and forth between them.

Sorry about the confusion. Still I love your posts and just feeling your support is great.

I am seeing a counsellor and I will speak to my partner tonight about making some changes.

I just hate feeling like someone else has control over me. It's awful.

wicked's picture

How sad for everyone! Your partner, poor guy, is trying desperately to hang on to his kids. I truly feel sorry for him, but he needs to stop being a wimp and be a man, stand up to the kids in a loving way and put an end to this ridiculous situation. Is he willing to go to counseling?

KK_8's picture

Haha I'm not even a step-mom, and even I can tell this is pathetic!

On the one hand... it's kind of common nowadays to see "kids" in their early 20's who aren't any more mature than most kids used to be in high school. On the other hand, like some of the other posters said... I'm not sure if some of these 20-something year old kids ever grow up. It might be irreversible at that point- and yes, it is definitely due to being spoiled.

I didn't think the weekend thing sounded bad. It's nice that they get to have some alone time with Dad, and if that's how often he likes to visit, I thought that was ok. But you mean to tell me that out of 50-some odd visits in a year, you were only included twice? Besides, it's not just the fact that it's incredibly imbalanced- it's about the fact that the reason it is imbalanced is because DH lets them know its OK to want to always exclude you. I agree with the other poster. What if they always has to exclude their SO from family functions? Childish.

The X-mas thing... that's just horrendous. Especially the fact that he was so sneaky about it and blind-sided you at the last second. Wow. Yeah- he better be in the dog house for that one- pathetic!

donna123's picture

My DH’s kids are both nearing middle age and still pull that crap off, we only want to see dad. So? Go ahead. But, that does mean you are going to have to visit somewhere other than our home and please don’t expect me to accommodate you in any way. If you don’t want me around, that has to be 100%. You can’t use me as you need me, then order me to my corner when my use is done. However, he can see them anytime he wants but I refuse to be put out because they can’t control their rage and refuse to even discuss it.

I opened my heart and life to these SKs, just to be shown and told repeatedly, shut up nobody cares what you think and nobody wants you here. In retrospect I would have considered it an absolute plus to have never met them because none of the nastiness would ever have happened and I would be blissfully unaware of how much they loathe me, a fact they desperately attempt to hide when others are there to witness their behaviour.

Some kids never get over their parents not being together anymore. If they think you are the one responsible for breaking up that miserable first marriage, and even though there were thousands of miles and years separating that original oh so perfect couple, they will never warm up to you. Especially if BM or MIL or Aunt or whoever is fueling that hatred. Also if your DH feels guilty, for whatever the heck it is they feel guilty about forget about it.

We have been married for 17 years and it never let up and in fact only got worse when we moved close to SD and she let all hell fly, all under the guise to everyone in DH’s family of how hard she had tried to welcome me into HER family, but I just refused to learn my place as defined by SD.

So now we moved thousands of miles away again. Before we left, his cousin said why don’t you trade her in and get yourself a good woman. Then another one added, while looking over my head, SHE can move away on her own and DH you can move home with your family--This from people who have never taken the time to have a single conversation with me in their life. All they know about me was based on the gossip and hearsay of angry adult stepchildren. Wake up call DH. If you think letting your family talk to me that way and not saying a word to them about it, all I have to say to you is this: why don’t you just take them up on their suggestions.

I guess he thought I would tolerate being treated worse than a dog forever. That was my fault. I should never tolerated being stepped on. And if I had found a site like step talk 17 years ago, I would have done things entirely differently, and not ever meeting them would have been at the top of my list.

Bottom line is he misled you. He planned a Christmas with you that he had no intention of delivering. Now he is trying to make it up to you by feigning guilt. Typical weak male response when they don’t want to do the hard work of confronting the people in their family about their disgusting behaviour toward their wife, partner that not one of those same people would ever tolerate in their lives. I don’t buy the guilt thing at all after all these years.

He should have just said outright that Christmas will always be without you, and with my kids. Done and done, you know the deal. Then you can make your decision based on the facts. But he must then also accept that when you create new things to do at Christmas that don’t include him, he can’t just horn in your events when the others that are so much more important to him than you are, decide they have found better things to do that don’t include him. Knowledge is power, and he has to fess up right now and make his decision so you can make yours. Trust me, the confrontation must come or this will go on forever.

AVR1962's picture

CandyLou.....I'm assuming you are not married and eventhough you have been with your partner you may be trying to please him, be the understanding and compassionate one which is all good and fine but what about you?

My adult SS lives 45 minutes from us and my husband doesn't go visit him once a week. Perhaps there's some reason for the weekly dinners out and if it doesn't bother you fine.

But Christmas he leaves you to spend with his children without you? That's like handing you your walking papers. Doesn't that really show you where he is placing you in the picture? You don't deserve that sort of treatment.

CandyLou's picture

Hey NoDoormat - thanks for your post. I'm like you, spending money on books, counselling, you name it I have tried it.

I'm still trying to get over what happened, I still cry about it. But the problem is that he is really sorry. He was gone for four days and when he got back he just burst into tears. A part of me thinks maybe he needed to go through that to see the impact it had on me. Instead of each year having him pining over his kids. Developmentally these kids are 10 & 12, it's really hard to watch. They aren't bitchy, the daughter does this little girl act that my partner seems to love. They have done really well with their lives too, so I can't complain about that.

I think they are extremely threatened by me because they know my partner and I are happy together and that hurts them for some reason.

I want to forgive him, so long as he doesn't do it again. He also said he would make much bigger efforts at getting us all together.

But what I have only now realised is that if he didn't drive up there two hours each week he would never see his kids as they wouldn't make the effort. So looking at it that way, I really think this issue is between him and his kids. I need to take a step back and let them deal with their stuff.

From what I have read in these forums it seems much worse to have these stepkids in your lives intruding than to not see them at all! lol

ricki's picture

I understand your dilemma. Not long into my own marriage, my young adult stepchildren invited their father out to dinner without me for his birthday gift. I didn't say anything and waited to see what he would do. He went. When he came home, I told him that I would never have done that to him and would have told me children that we go as a couple or not at all. In the 22 years we've been married, he has never done that again. However, from the beginning there were problems with the stepkids and how they treated me. You may consider yourself better off letting him go visit them than having to deal with them at your house. I would prefer that. My husband's kids have gone from ignoring me in my own home to now, all of these years later, being indifferent to me. They come a few times a year, I'm nice to them but not as giving to them as I am to my own children. I think for stepchildren to get along with their father's wife is the exception and fathers seem afraid to confront the issue with their kids. You can be a family with him and your kids and that would be my emphasis and his visits with his kids would be something you just have to put up with. Hopefully, he learned that leaving for four days over Christmas wasn't a good thing to do and won't repeat it. It seems that whether it is your current husband or a new one, there always will be the issue of stepkids. Or even worse, if your husband didn't have kids and you do, it would create a whole lot of new problems. I read somewhere that because the role of stepmother was created based on loss, how could we expect it to be positive. So if all other things in your life together work well, don't let his kids do this to you. When thoughts of his kids come to your mind--which I'm sure they do big time, don't let it happen. Start filling your mind with positive thoughts of the things you love and reduce them to an inconvenience you just have to put up with from time to time. I'm sure you spend more time thinking about them than they do about you. Don't waste your time because, personally, I don't think there is anything you can do to change them--but you can change yourself and the effect they have on you.