You are here

DH should be on standby at ALL times

Daisymazy2's picture

SD, age 19,  works at a retail store.  She doesn't have a driver's license.  She takes public transportation.  We live in a small town so public transportation isn't always available. SD has called DH on multiple occasions to pick her up at work and take her back to BMs. We live 30 minutes away from her job.  DH will just drop everything unless he is at work to pick her up. SD doesn't plan anything in advance.  She always waits until she needs a ride home to call.  Everyone is supposed to stop what they are doing and pick her up.

Yesterday, DH and I decide to go to a restaurant over an hour away from home.  The restaurant has a beautiful lake view.  It also spotty cell phone service and NO wifi. DH could see that SD called but couldn't call her back due to not having any service or spotty service.  We were sitting outside enjoying the view before ordering our food.  We stayed there for 3 or 4 hours.

DH doesn't call SD when we get home.  We clean up and decide to watch a movie.  DH looks at his phone at the end of the movie.  There were 10 minutes left so he pauses to talk to SD after I asked him to finish watching the movie and then call her. He couldn't wait.  He just HAD to know what she needed.  

SD is MAD.  She had to wait 2 hours at the store before she could get a ride home from work.  DH asked her why didn't she take the bus.  She told him she didn't have the  2 bucks for the bus ride.  After she pays for her credit card bill, rent ($100), and groceries, she didn't have any money left from her paycheck.   She said that the store cut her hours.  

DH offered to pay for a monthly bus pass.  SD then tells DH that the bus wasn't running regular hours.  She would not have been able to take the bus at all.  She tells DH that she is mad and that she is going to bed.  Of course, this isn't her fault for poor planning it is BM's fault, her sister's fault,  and DH's fault because they didn't answer their phones.  

DH is upset after her call.  I told him SD needed to plan better.  She could:

A.  Find a better job with better pay and hours that matched the bus schedule

B.  Get her driver's license and buy a used car

C.  Get a second job if she doesn't want to quit the first one

D.  Talk to her boss about her transportation issues.  He may be able to change her hours to match the bus schedule.

I am almost certain that her hours didn't get cut. Retail stores are begging people to work.  I am almost certain that she blew all of her money and wanted everyone else to bail her out. DH paid for her cell phone last month.  It is already turned off and she uses Facebook to call people now.  She lied to DH and told him that BM was charging her $500 a month for rent when she was only charging $100.

If anyone tries to give her advice she tells them she is a "grown ass" woman and doesn't need anyone to help her.   I wanted so much to tell DH that he really needs to tell her whenever she calls for money or a ride that she is a "grown ass" woman and she  doesn't need any help.

JRI's picture

It's hard to watch our kids experience life's realities but that's the only way some learn..  Like, if I don't have a plan for getting home from my job, I might sit there awhile.....  Does your DH have the strength to not respond?

Daisymazy2's picture

He will jump and run every time she calls.  He always makes excuses for her.

I was really shocked that he stayed at the restaurant with me when she was trying to call and he couldn't call her back.  It would have taken him awhile to find a signal and I would have been PO'd if he left.  

JRI's picture

My DH is 84 and still can't say no.

LittleCloud9's picture

Welcome to Adult Life!

One of the first challenges of Adulthood: figuring out how to get your butt to work and back.

Warning: Parental Rides Option is temporary and expires quickly. 

Suggested solutions: public transport, taxi or Uber, get a license and car, work within walking distance.

Don't like these solutions? You are welcome to grow some wings and fly your butt there. 

islandgal2021's picture

Well - that's on DH.  He keeps catering to her and coming to her rescue, she'll never grow up or learn how to be independent.  If she's such a "grown ass woman" why the hell does she still need dadddyy to pick her up after work?  Time for DH to drop the rope and get her to learn how to deal - or put up with rescuing her for the next 10 years or more.

Kaylee's picture

Ugh, sounds like my ex SD.

Daddy "had" to drive her places even though he had bought her a car. 

"Had" to pick her up after work, even though perfectly adequate public transport right on the doorstep.

Stop enabling! Or these "grown ass" women never become independent and live their own lives.

CLove's picture

Your husband is NOT doing SD any favors. Its not in her best interests to keep her so dependant.

I have SD22 Feral Forger and thankfully shes not living with us. She STILL has no drivers license and doesnt attend college and think shes sTILL not working either (SD15 sprained her thumb in a fight) so shes stunted and not progressing in life at all. Super enmeshed with her mother Toxic Troll BM. 

Im pushing DH to make certain the same doesnt happen to sD15Backstabber/Munchkin.

caninelover's picture

WTF.  I just don't get it.  Bratty was the same.

What do these brainaics think - Daddy will live forever and just drive them everywhere?

Its really your DH's fault for enabling this.  He should tell her needs to get her license and use the bus in the meantime.  If she has to wait 2 hours she can use the time to study for her driver's test.

IDontCare3117's picture

It's something about the kids in Bratty's generation, and their aversion to getting a license and driving.  As long as they have someone willing to be their chauffeur they don't see the need to get a license.  Hell, I'd love it if I had a driver on-call 24/7, too.  I wouldn't have to schedule my errands around my drinking.

Daisymazy2's picture

She has learner's permit or so she says.  She told DH that she passed the driver's test.  She failed the test at least once.  She claims that BM will not let her use her car.   She lies about so many things it is hard to believe anything she says.

DH is buying her a 30-day bus pass this month.  Last month, he paid for her cell phone. Next month, it will be something else.

SD feels that everyone OWES her.  She was begging for money on Facebook after posting that she had a new tattoo.  The tattoo was an expensive one.

Daisymazy2's picture

As I type this, he is on his way to pick her up again.  She may get off work in an hour and it may be an hour and half.  Who knows?  He will sit and wait for her without any complaints.

Rags's picture

The force of bullshit is strong in so many of these ill bred failed family spawn.

Manipulation, constantly seeking to be the victim, not owning their decisions or outcomes, etc, etc, etc.....

DH needs to get his script memorized. "I am sorry to hear that honey, text me when you work it out."

Lather................. rince................... repeat.

KC is not the stepmother's picture

I remember when I was 19 and my car broke and I had to wait two weeks to be able to afford the repair. I walked home to my apartment, that I paid the rent for, at 11 pm literally past a graveyard.  Toughened me up.