You are here

What a small world

dessy101's picture

My DKs charter school is celebrating National Entrepreneur's Day by having local entrepreuneur's come and talk to the kids in a panel form, just the juniors and seniors in the aditorium. According to the school newsletter my SKs grandfather is one of the panelist and  he is apparently a shareholder or 'contributor' to the school. This same school that was not appropriate or beneath the SKs attending. SKs  just had to attend a private school that required massive parent and child commitment; mandatory extra curicular sports (each child had to do at least 2 sports a term if they weren't committed to any non sport clubs, if they were committed to a non- sport club then they had to do one sport per term), mandatory community service (200 hours per academic year) and yearly travel schemes. We spent weekends spinning our heads trying to keep up with their schedules on our time. 

Now sks grandfather is going to talk to kids at a school that he didn't think was good enough for his grandkids about entrepreneurship from the perspective of entrepreneur and a dad who raised two entrepreneurs. What a double standard, I wonder if the kids knew what he had to say about the school if they would even listen to him. DH and I were talking about how ironic the whole thing is.

Maxwell09's picture

Any chance he's had a change of heart? If the skids turned out to be dumpster fires after all that private tuition, he might have some new found appreciation for the free public education. 

dessy101's picture

Nope, my SKs are preppy kids who are very self centred and self indulged. But I doubt he has had change of heart he has other grandkids who are currently going to said school. I think it is more to stroke his ego than anything else.

susanm's picture

I would be curious to know how the school feels about his attitude.  I had a similar and bizarre experience.  I went to a state school for undergrad and grad school.  I am a super-nerdy student and in return the school was very good to me in many ways.  Toward the end of my time there I was speaking with my academic advisor and mentioned that as I eventually wound down my career I would really love to come back to teach rather than retire.  I was shocked to be told that I would have to get another degree from a private school because graduating from a state school was not a prestigious enough academic credential for them to consider.  When I checked the faculty profiles I found that hires of the recent 10-15 years were from private universities while the older professors were predominantly home-grown grads of that very school.  In speaking with some of those professors, it was their opinion that bringing in a new dean had ushered in a weird attitude of contempt for the school and their very own students.  

Needless to say that my affection for the school remains because I got an excellent education and the scholarships were incredibly appreciated.  But it was dimmed and I remember that conversation whenever I have received a solicitation for a donation to the alumni fund in the years since graduation.  

MissTexas's picture

hand to ask a question about his past views on the topic and his current views?

"Students, the word of the week is: Hypocrite. Here's the definition_____________. Can you use it in a sentence? "

Is he a presidential candidate? LOL With flip-flopping on the issues, I just had to ask.

ESMOD's picture

I'm sorry.. don't see hypocrisy at all.

Just because he doesn't believe that the quality of that school/education was high enough for his grandkids.. that doesn't mean that he may not want to still help that school or the students attending be "the best they can be".

I guess a somewhat similar situation might be that we have initiatives at my place of employment and people here support kids in the public school STEM programs.. mentor.. give talks etc.. and they might not want their kids attending these same programs because the private school they can afford is better.

You can be a supporter of kids in public education.. and you can still send your kids to private school.. because it offers more advantages to your child.  

Rags's picture

Sounds like an opportunity to seed some questions into the audiance.  I am sure you know people in the commity with Jrs and Srs in that school.

"Mr. Entrepreneur, why is it that you invest in this school  but do not think it good enough for your grandchildren?"