You are here

Perfect example of clothes-switch dilemma

SMof2Girls's picture

BM is picking skids up from day care early today (before lunch). The only clothes we have from her house are the ones she sent them in to us last month.

So DH dropped the skids off at day care this morning wearing the raggy dresses from BM's. DH was clearly embarrassed to take them out in those clothes, and I'm sure BM will have something to say about it, but if they're okay at her house, she can whine and moan all she wants.

The only downside is shoes .. she sent them in heels which aren't allowed at the day care, so we sent them in their regular sandals. Here's hoping they come back!

GhostWhoCooksDinner's picture

We have a similar issue. We send the skids back to BM's on Fridays, always in the crap she sends them in, which means they have to go to school like that. The clothes are usually many sizes too big, stained, and reeking of cat piss (though washing them in vinegar does take the edge off), but unfortunately there's nothing we can do about it. If we send them in stuff we buy, we'll never get it back. (And if we did, we wouldn't WANT it back.) It makes me sick to send them off like that.

I hope you get the sandals back! Would it be possible to purchase a few pairs of flip flops to send her in on those days? (You can get them here at Old Navy for like a dollar a pair for little kids). I'd ask what kind of idiot dresses a little kid in heels, but I already know the answer to that!

SMof2Girls's picture

The skids have to wear closed-toe shoes to day care. They can be sandals or tennis shoes, but not flip flops. We were planning on sending skids home in their heels, but BM just told us earlier this week she'd be picking them up directly from day care. We just haven't had time this week to get any cheaper shoes.

The sandals aren't really that expensive .. it's still a hassle to replacement them, or buy "disposable" ones for BM's. But it's looking like that's what we'll have to do.

SMof2Girls's picture

BM used to send skids to us wearing earrings. She would tell the kids over and over that they were very special earrings and not to let Daddy or SM take them out. If we took them out, we'd keep them and they'd never see them again and mommy would cry because she'd be so upset about these lost special earrings.

Needless to say, skids came to our house terrified of losing an earring to the point of tears if they lost a backing or something.

Mind you, these are little kid earrings that cost maybe $5/pair.

DH has since told BM to not send kids with anything (earrings, clothes, toys, games, etc) that need to be returned to her immediately. At 5 and 7 we are teaching them to be responsible for their things, but the stress of getting in trouble over trinkets is just ridiculous.

tryingmom's picture

When DH and I were first together BM would send the skids over with clothes, tank tops, shorts and flip flops. We couldn't bring these kids out of the house in the clothes she sent over for them. I figured out that BM sent them in flip flops so that the skids couldn't play outdoors. Who would allow a kid to play at a playground in flip flops. We couldn't even bring them to McDonalds wearing those clothes. We went shopping for the skids. They were little then, sneakers were easy, cute shirts and shorts etc. Skids told BM that we bought clothes for them and sneakers so they could play outdoors.....she freaked. Ramped up her PAS that those sneakers were the cheapest sneakers ever (she never saw them) and that they'd hurt their feet. Next visit the skids wouldn't put on their sneakers to go outdoors to play, said they'd hurt to wear. Found out later when it got cool outside that they were the exact sneakers she bought them for school. Ummm....showed them that they were the same ones. They went home and told BM that they couldn't wear the sneakers that she bought them as they would hurt their feet. FREAK OUT!!! Well, if you wouldn't have put down the sneakers we bought them YOU wouldn't have this problem. LOL }:)