You are here

Literally Despise SD

FlyBoyJ's picture

So I've posted before about my issues surrounding my SD, but I wanted to kinda create a fresh post for some fresh perspective.

Background, my wife and I have been together for 8 years.  She has two daughters from a previous mariage (19 & 23) and I have one (12).  I've always gotten along fairly well with the 23 yr old.  Shes's pretty smart, motivated and a decent woman (despite the typical entitlment of this generation).  However, the 19 year old is no lie, perhaps the stupidest person I've ever met.  She's stupid, lazy, unmotivated, a slob and just honestly a disgusting girl.  I literally cannot stand her!  The sound of her voice is like nails on a chalkboard listening to the absoulte stupidity that comes out of her mouth.  She honestly makes my skin crawl.

Since this "child" turned 18, ive definately been trying to distance myself from her.  I started to refuse to provide money to her, etc.  It's been nice to not have to be around her as much now that she has a boyfriend.  She spends many days and nights with him and I say to that, "great!" 

I honestly can say, I DESPISE this girl.  Now my wife says im "a horrible person", an "a^$%#@&", and she cant understand how "anyone could hate a kid".  To that I say, well one, she's not a kid anymore (eventhough my wife still treats her like shes 5), and that I am not 'required' to 'love' her daughter.  My wife basically says shes a package deal.  That I must "love on her (SD), dote on her, be sweet and nice to her, wait on her, etc etc" or it's "a deal breaker".

Am I out of line here?  Im not nasty or mean, I just steer clear of SD.  I choose not to interact with her. It's basically to save my sanity!

notasm3's picture

Your wife is the one being an ahole.

I can't stand my husband's son who is 33.  He's a worthless POS.  My DH knows how I feel, and I've totally banned him from our home.  But I've told my DH that I know that he loves his son.  He can go see him or spend time with him (he lives nearby) as he wishes.  But I have no place for SS in my life at all under any circumstances. 

SS has been living with a woman (truthfully living off of her) for about 3 years, and they have a child together.  They claim to be "engaged" but I know of no plans that they have to marry.  If they have a wedding I wouldn't even think of attending.   SS is totally DEAD to me.

And my DH still loves me.

FlyBoyJ's picture

I hear ya!  Yes, I litterally cannot stand this girl! Everything about her turns my stomach!  Problem is my wife thinks she can do know wrong.  Wife worships the ground this idiot walks on.  She's and im being generous here, a complete loser!

MadHatter's picture

Thankfully, my DH doesn't have the "package deal" mentality. Partially because his DD was raised primarily by BM, although she did live with us briefly, and her got her every other weekend for visitation. (That lasted until she ripped the door off the refrigerator, the a shoe through a window, punched a hole in the sheet rock, and found herself banned from my home after many of the hateful barbs she slung at me.) If DH had been the custodial parent, we would've definitely had to split up. 

Here's hoping you can work it out. 

FlyBoyJ's picture

Unfortunately, my wife had full custody of her kids.  I entered the picture when the older one was a Freshman in HS and the idiot was in middle school.  I honestly have really thought the younger one was an annoying idiot from the get-go but I sucked it up.  Since she turned 18, i've disengaged but now being told that my disengagement is "unacceptible".

marblefawn's picture

You did your time. Your wife should be glad you're giving SD a reason to fly the coop at the ripe age of 18!

Tell me something...do you cringe when you hear her name? I can't stand hearing SD's name. It's as if just the sound of it makes me cringe! Even if it's someone else with the same name, I recoil!

I sort of feel like that's when you know you truly despise someone!

When you wife gets on you about this, just tell her, "Nah, I'm not the reason she doesn't want to come home! She's busy with her life and her boyfriend. That's normal at her age." No matter what SD is telling your wife, no matter what evidence there is that you might really be the reason, just keep denying it.

I'll tell you something. My husband and I fought for years about how shitty SD treated me. No matter how obviously awful she was to me, my husband always had an excuse that had nothing to do with his little darling being a controlling nasty jealous cockroach. If the constant bluff worked for him (and so many other guilty parents), it can work for we stepparents. So you just keep telling your wife it's all in her head and it's normal for kids your SD's age to spend less time at home and never give an inch to what she's saying.

FlyBoyJ's picture

OMG yes!  Just hearing that name, ANYWHERE feels like needles being shoved into my eyes!!!  I can't stand her voice, her name, her smell (think WAYYYY too much perfume), etc etc.

My wife has basically told me in no uncertain terms, this girl will ALWAYS come first!!  So im screwed basically....

icanteven's picture

OMG The name thing! I get it! My stepson's name is the same as a popular city, a city I had to go to on business last week, and every time my secretary asked me, "do you need anything more for the [city] trip?" I would have to fight off the urge to visibly cringe because the idea of going on a trip with my stepson whose name is the same as the city is my personal idea of hell and it made me go there in my mind.

FlyBoyJ's picture

YES!!!!  I hear her name, hear her can pull up or see her stupid senior picture hanging on my wall, I literally cringe!!!

oneoffour's picture

What may work is turning it back on her daughter. "Look honey, your daughter doesnt like me. She is entitled to dislike people. So as long as we are polite and civil to each other it will be fine. If either of us oversteps the line or are forced to 'like' the other more then this will only cause both of us to pull away more. I know she is your daughter but she isn't a carbon copy of you. She is an independent free spriirt who needs to spread her wings and leave home. Now if you have problems with her not being here that is between you and her although remember being 18? The choice between staying with a boyfriend or living with your stepdad who you hate? As far as the package deal ... I am not treating your daughter like a 2nd wwife. I am not her father as she often points out. So I am respectful of her privacy and let her live her own life. She will be fine. And maybe if you stoppped forcing her and I to get along we might work things out. (Yeah, right!),:

Tossing the problem right back at SDs right to choose who she wants to be friends with may shut her down for a whaile.

FlyBoyJ's picture

The real problem for me, and my marriage for that matter is that my wife idolizes this girl.  My wife put her first in every situation.  Date night, if SD texts or calls, plans change.  If SD says she's going to not spend the night with her boyfriend and 'grace' us with her prensence, everything goes out the window,  The wife turns on all the lights, cleans up SD's room, turns down her bed, etc etc.  Any plans that the wife and I have or had are compltely abandoned. 

My wife texts this girl 24/7. begging her to come home, go out to dinner with us, come to the movies with us and on and on.  My wife is OBSESSED with her.  It's so unhealthy!!!

I honestly don't know if I can take it anymore.  I love my wife, but hate my SD.  Unfortunately, my wife positions SD as a package deal.  I tell her that's not normal, but all Im met with is anger and scorn.

icanteven's picture

OMG You just described my husband and his son. The obsession, the immediate abandoning of plans the minute he becomes an option (he did this on my birthday, even!!), all of it... It's so bad. 

FlyBoyJ's picture

Honestly its frightening. Yes its an extremely UNHEALTHY obsession my wife has for this girl.  I think that any sane adult would agree with me. Occasionally ive glanced at my wife’s phone and OMG you should see the stuff she says to SD every day ALL DAY LONG. Texts every fee minutes saying “Mommy loves you”, “Mommy misses you”, “please come home and snuggle with Mommy”. Its beyond disgusting. 

I called my wife out once for how her obsession with SD was not healthy and I was met with a psychotic breakdown attacking me that “you don’t understand because youre not a mom”. What??  Ive know lots of moms who dont smother their children and treat adult children like they are five and the center of the universe. 

MoominMama's picture

'I must "love on her (SD), dote on her, be sweet and nice to her, wait on her, etc'

NO. you don't HAVE to do anything. If she were a small child, a minor then you have a responsibility to be decent to her etc but she is now an adult. An adult that you have had very negative interactions with. So no, she is not part of the package deal now.

Too old for this's picture

Try to eliminate her from your mind.  Be civil and say hello but that’s all.  Don’t talk about her to DW.  If DW says you are mean,  say yes dear and nothing else.  

You need for the disagreement with DW to stop and for this “child” to launch.  You have done your time.  

notasm3's picture

You need a new wife.  This one sucks.  Divorce her before you hit the 10 year mark.

She'll probably change her tune if she thinks you (and your money) are leaving her.

FlyBoyJ's picture

So yesterday was my birthday.  Wife askes me what I would like to do.  I reply a nice dinner and then cake at home.  Of course in my mind (and i'm willing to bet in alot of other 'normal' married adult minds) that means a nice romantic dinner, just her and I.  Well in my wife's mind OF COURSE  the SD (one I dispise) should be included as well as her boyfriend.  Now in my head, I'm thinking one, I can't stand this girl, and two, she's 19 and generally always gone spending the night at her boyfriend's house (for which I say, do it more!!  lol) and most importantly, she's not my daughter so why would I really want her coming along.  Of course I dare not say this to my wife for fear of her screaming at me that Im a horrible awful person for not loving SD.  So I tried to politely say, "I really would rather have a romantic evening with my wife, and I really can't affor to be taking a big group out to dinner".  Well, that was it!  I was met with a screaming psychotic episode where I was called every horrible name under the sun, told i was so "mean and nasty" towards SD and that I was a POS for not 'loving' SD.

I hate the idea of a second divorce in my life, but sadly, I feel as if the options are quickly narrowing.  Im sorry I didnt marry SD!  Yes, she is my wife's daughter, but that doesn't mean I have to spend my life catering to SD's every whim and desire.

So it gets even better....after dinner, we go home for cake.  SD, as usual, shows up late, in grubby old sweats and looking like she had been sleeping all day, or hung over to the gills.  While I'm opening my gifts, SD starts telling her mom what SHE wants for her birthday!  Mind you her birthday is a month away.  SD then proceeds to tell us that she wants a trip to Hawaii!  The sad thing is im sure my wife will try to give it to her.  SHe's already said, "oh, SD wants to go to Disneyland, so we need to plan that".  PATHETIC!!!

Major Blunder's picture

This is totally up to you but if you want to stay married to this woman and you believe she is worth the effort perhaps marriage counseling would help.  Her demands surrounding your SD are not warranted, I have disengaged as far as possible with both of my SDs, my wife understands and doesn't push but there are still issues, nothing like yours but still they are there.  Nothing wrong with another divorce if there is no working together at all, that's not a marriage that's enslavement !

CLove's picture

And now this one with updates, and its not apparently getting better. The fact that your WIFE went off on you and called you every name she could think of that would hurt you, regarding your birthday meal, tells me that you are not the man for her. She needs Mr Money Bags that will cater and simper and cowtow to bratty worthless SD. You need to let her go, or stay and vent here. Either way, its not gotten better and you are much worse off. Tell me, is this woman so magical as to have captured your heart and locked it away in a large chest like Davy Jones locker? Are you wearing red boots, and forced to dance forever to whatever turn this woman demands of you? Did she feed you a poison apple, forever dooming you in a deep enchanted sleep forced to live this nightmare of a life?

SO, he and I used to argue because of his eldest, her attitude and her lies. Thankfully, she is not stupid but she had other horrible qualities similar to Stupid. My nickname for her is Winona SD19, because she was caught stealing from a local JC Penney. She is now working, supposedly going to school and ttraveling with friends. When she was with us, she was lazy, dirty and disgusting, no friends, went no where, any time we all went somewhere together she ruined it somehow. The sound of her name, which is a sweet-smelling flower, repulsed me. The sound of her voice, demanding, her dramatic shrieks and gutteral groans when angry or whatever, just nails on the chalkboard. Her presence in the house made me stressed out. The sound of her footsteps stressed me out. So I understand. And I felt this way before she turned 18, so I am a HORRIBLE person for disliking a CHILD. But when this CHILD does horrible things to you and sais horrible things to you and about you they are allowed because they are a CHILD. Well I dont buy it. There are reasons that you had to disengage and get her out of your life. You didnt just wake up one day and decide you didnt like her, it was a process whereby you were treated like dirt. 

So, I hope your SD enjoys her trip to Hawaii! Aloha. Or you could put your foot down and say "here are the divorce papers if you dont like the fact that I will not foot the bill for SD to have a trip to xyz place".

TrueNorth77's picture

In a perfect world, yes, you would love SD also. But that's not realistic and how life works. How would she feel if you were the one with kids and she was expected to just "Love" them, unconditionally. Maybe you should show her this site, and explain it obviously doesn't really work that way....

I would tell her, you can't force someone to love someone else. The most you can hope for is that her kids are not treated poorly and disrespectully. So if this is a "deal-breaker" for her, then obviously there are no options. What does she think, she will tell you to love her (after you clearly expressing that you don't), and then you will just magically love her? And everything will be better?

And yeah, calling you names and being disrespectful to YOU may be the dealbreaker. Tell her that if you disengaging and just trying to be decent to SD isn't enough, she can just take the $30/week that she makes and take SD to Hawaii for her Birthday on her own.....oh wait. Mosking

icanteven's picture

Youre not out of line at all. I get where you're coming from. My stepson is 6, and I also literally despise him. You ever meet a kid you just know is going to grow up to be the kind of a-hole who yells at people in traffic, throws drinks at baristas, and probably puts drugs in people's drinks at the bar? That's my stepson. He a not a nice kid. He's not a good person. I can just tell he's going to be worse than a nobody. 

My husband says the same things as your wife and I do the same things as you. I don't talk to the kid. I don't look at him. He knows to stay out of my way and that I'm not interested in any of the drivel that comes from his mouth. (I have twins the same age and they're so much more interesting. All this kid talks about is stupid garbage he saw on YouTube, which he watches 10 hours a day.)

It's so unfair to be expected to love a kid like this. 

marblefawn's picture

We had SD boundary issues. I got my husband to agree we'd do whatever a counselor suggested. Fortunately, we found a good counselor becaue it's a crap shoot out there. The counselor suggested some parameters that worked at the time for some issues.

No good counselor is going to hear what you're saying and endorse your wife's behavior. So if you aren't ready to give up on the marriage, give it a try. You may get a bad counselor or it might not work, but it's slightly cheaper than divorce.

FlyBoyJ's picture

Ive been disengaging like many here have suggested. I will acknowledge SD when she come home with a “hi” but that’s it. My skin literally crawls when i hear her car pull into the driveway. Every minute this girl is around me I feel like im going to be sick. I honestly cannot stand even five minutes around her. The absolute stupidity that comebout of this girls mouth is baffling. The sad part is my wife actually brags about how “well” SD is doing!  Wife is clearly living in a fantasy world.

This girl doesnt even go to school and the proof is she left her email open on my computer and ive seen loads of emails from SD to her instructors on how she “has an upset tummy”!  This girl is supposedly in college albeit junior college and she’s acting like shes in kindergarten!

She lies to her mom about working all the time too. I drive around town alot for work and on numerous occasions where Mom has said “oh shes working so hard today” or “shes really busy at school”. Ive noticed her car is not at her work, not at her Jr. College, but yes, at her boyfriends house where tweedle dumb abd tweedle dumber lie jn bed all day eating and sleeping. Meanwhile Mom continues to tell me how “hard she’s (SD) working”. What a joke!  And im expected to pay for her car insurance, when she crashes her car and needs repairs, have her stop by MY house whenever she wants and be rewarded woth food and to top it off wife takes MY money, I earned and secretly gives cash to SD. 

As i stated above, ive never flat out told wife how much I despise SD, but honestly each and every day it gets harder. I keep being attacked for “pushing her away” because i dont overly and inappropriately smother her with affection and attention as wife does (its actually sickening to see how my wife is obsessed with this girl and treats her like shes 5).  I am trying to just stay strong and detached but its getting harder and harder as my wife attacks me for it more and more. 

I guess im at a loss. I know divorce is probably a very smart decision at this point but short of that do i just keep my mouth shut and suck it up or just come out and say point blank, yes, I hate SD and if thst doesn’t work for you theres the door....

mathfed's picture

You'll first have to think hard and decide if you can live this way the rest of your life.  My wife's youngest son has been an absolute nightmare to me.  He refers to me as his mom's "f&ck buddy", "her latest f&cking asshole boyfried".  He's stood in our dining room and screamed at me that he hates me.  This was because I got in between him and my wife when he had her cornered, screaming in her face.  About a year ago, he told me that he's my wife's kid, I'm just the piece of shit she married.  He told me he knows she can, and has seen her, do better than me.  This was while he was on a bus headed toward our house for an unannounced visit! 

After that incident last year, it became crystal clear to me that I couldn't keep going along with this guy's nonsense.  I told my wife that her son is not setting foot in the house.  He's a drug user, gets abusive, and has gotten violent.  I want nothing to do with him.  She can continue to get sucked into his chaos, but I refuse to anymore.  If she can't live with that, then we are finished.  I asked her to think hard and decide for herself if her son and me parting ways is a deal breaker for her.  If it is, then I can live with that.  I can't live anymore with being treated like a piece of crap this guy sees on his shoe, and my wife's expectation that I keep showing up for more of that treatment.  I told my wife that I am supportive of her relationship with her son, but it needs to happen somewhere else and I won't be involved with him anymore.

My wife seemed to understand that I was serious and was about to pull the plug on our marriage because of her rotten son's treatment of me.  Her son has eventually driven off every man she has ever been with.  She has stopped trying to force her kid on me, and trying to force me into having a relationship with someone that treats me like dogshit.  I rarely hear about him anymore.  When I do, I change the subject as soon as possible.  My wife goes to visit her son, without me.  He doesn't come in the house.  My minor kids don't have to be around him anymore.

I came to my breaking point last year to where I was ready to end my marriage.  I figured that if I was already in that headspace, then I should tell my wife exactly that.  What would I have to lose?  Maybe she will finally understand that I am serious and am not going to go along with being treated that way anymore.  She understood.  She deals with her deadbeat kid without pulling me into his nastiness, and none of my money or time go to anything having to do with him.  Things are much better between us now.  Last year, I was ready to pull the plug after her son's abuse and her expectation that I keep going along with it.    

StepUltimate's picture

Great post Mathfed. I'm glad your wife respects you & that she was willing to adjust so she can spend time wirh her son without you having to deal with the insanity. Seems like the only sane alternative to divorce. 

notasm3's picture

I do not tell my DH how disgusting and repulsive his pos adult son is - but not one penny of my money goes to benefit that maggot. Nor is his son allowed to cross my doorstep. 

You need to retrieve your balls from your selfish wife and stop carrying if she is going to get “upset” with you.  Just tell her to STFU. 

lorlors's picture

it sounds like your wife is there for the money you make, the lifestyle you provide and how having you around benefits her. Does she ever ask how you are doing/feeling? Doesn’t seem like it. Sounds like you backed the wrong horse in her.

stepmominhiding's picture

Your 18 sd signs like my 13yo sd! I just want to vomit sometimes when i hear her voice.  She is absolutely ignorant.  She's in all gifted classes,  not really sure how. Other than manipulation.  This child can not spell if her life depended on it.  I used to go over her spelling words with her.  No matter how many times i went over them,  no matter how many times i told her to read them, no matter how many times she wrote them, no matter how many time we sang them out, she could not spell them right. She has no idea where any states or countries are. She doesn't know the basics of computers. She's scared of everything, including getting hurt, like when she falls, she cries (like sobbing), then will say, "oh, it didn't hurt as bad as i thought, ha ha". Nothing is "fair"  God forbid i ask her to take something to one of my daughter's rooms if they are not home.  My kids are usually taking things to her room for days as i find things are left out by her. They never complain. She (since the beginning of last school year) is complaining that she doesn't understand why she has to take a foreign language, even though we continue to explain it every time she makes that statement. 

FlyBoyJ's picture

So here we go again, SD had a text fight with her Mom last night and has said she's moving out again, to which I say, AWESOME!!  I actually got into an argument with my wife, because I told her that she needs to distance herself from that stupid dumb ignorant conceited lying sorry excuse of a daughter of hers.  Of course I didnt say those words to her mom, my wife, but they are spot on for this girl.  The problem that I can already tell that SD, in her usual manupitulative ways will get what she wants from Mom.  SD wants to quit her job so she can even be more lazy than she already is and of course have her Mom, in other words, me, support her even more (I know that her mom, my wife secretely gives her money now).  So last night SD texts her mom that shes done having a relationship with her.  I said to my wife, "then cut her off, completely".  Of course my wife says, "yes, you're right" but already this morning my wife is texting her, "Mommy misses you", etc etc.

I honestly just wish this loser girl would move far far away with her loser boyfriend, and I never have to even hear her name again!

FlyBoyJ's picture

An update to my life with stupid aka SD.

To my delight, Stupid/SD spends most of the evenings at her idiot boyfriends, to which I say great.  However, I've seen my wife's texts to SD and it's absolutely nauseating.  Numerous texts to SD throughout the day with such drivel as "mommy misses you", "please come home tonight", etc etc.  Every day DW makes dinner for SD and of course (to my delight) she never shows up!  I keep telling DW that I'm not going to be having an on demand restaurant for SD.  To which DW says, "you're right", but then DW continues to do the same thing day in and day out.  Of course SD shows up when she wants something, food, money, etc.and despite my objections, DW always gives her whatever she wants.

Stupid/SD went and quit her job because, "they wanted me to work too many hours", and despite her claims that she's going to school full time at the local community college, I've never seen her do anything but sleep or sit on her phone.  When she does enter my house, she's instantly doted on by DW.  She lays around eating my food, laying on my couch, turning on all the lights and the TV, and then leaves again for her boyfriends.  Now don't get me wrong, I love that she leaves, but I just wish she never came in the first place!!

Despite her claims to the contrary, I know DW is giving this loser money, money that I work hard for (DW refuses to get a job beyond a 4 hour a week basically volunteer job).  I've told DW I refuse to support SD to which I get the response, "well, she's MY child and I won't kick her out".  I've responded, "no, she's not a kid, she's 19 and I'm not going to have her freeloading off my dime."  Of course, DW just gives her money behind my back.

Now today, Stupid/SD is getting her wisdom teeth removed, and OMG you should see my DW, she's going to be doting on her like you've never seen.  DW has already put flowers and snacks and drinks in her room, hung up signs with "get well" on her walls.  It's SICKENING!!!  DW idolizes this loser and it makes my stomach turn.  Of course, SD will turn on her usual drama.  I know i'm in for a weekend of SD crying and moaning about how she "doesn't feel good" and "I need to see a doctor".  She's a drama queen 24/7, and the saddest part is DW caters to it.  I know DW will bend over backwards to spoil this little leach. I'm already sick in anticipation!!!  It's so over the top, and I primarily blame DW for enabling!

I know leaving is always an option, but it's a tough idea to swallow.  On the other hand, thinking of this being my life for much longer is not a sustainable situation either.  I know this little loser will be catered to, taken care of, spoiled, etc etc forever.  I honestly can see this "kid" living in my home, lying on the couch and sleeping with no job, etc when she's 40.

I just wish she would marry her boyfriend and they would move far far away and be out of my life forever!  Of course, I know DW would probably want to move where ever SD did!

I know the ultimate solution is probably divorce and just removing me from the situation, but in the meantime, I feel like i'm going to go crazy.  This "kid" is so annoying, so stupid and so lazy it's pathetic, but DW acts like she's the golden child.  I'm at the end of my rope....

Rags's picture

IMHO the answer is clear.  Cut your DW off from any money.  You control the finances and DW gets zero access.  Yep, I know. Harsh and a difficult thing to administrate but if DW isnt going to cut off her toxic waste of skin spawn once she herself is cut off then she is going to have to get a job.  Once she gets a job.... keep her cut off and force her to spend her income on supporting the marital expenses.  

Stick to your guns.

Good luck.

FlyBoyJ's picture

Just as I suspected, this weekend has been filled with over the top DRAMA from Stupid/SD.  As I predicted, SD has been walking around the house, moaning, sobbing, throwing herself on the floor begging for vicodin.  Now mind you the dentist said the vicodin was only perscribed as an EMERGENCY measure meaning excruciating pain.  He also cautioned that a sign of a drug user is if the child begs for the narcotics!  Now, you may ask how I know that shes not really in excrucuating pain?  Well, SD is so stupid that she thinks she's so crafty.  I hear her in her room talking to her boyfriend like shes totally fine.  In fact, they are talking about how they are excited about thei new "inhaling implement" aka bong!  Then she walks out to where we are and all of a sudden turns on the moping, sobing, moaning, etc.  It's/she's PATHETIC!  Of course Mom/DW laps it up!!!  She's spent all weekend doting on this loser, constantly asking her "honey are you ok??" and "mommy loves you and is here for you". I'm going to be sick!

FlyBoyJ's picture

So my wife and I go out this evening to run a errand.  We come home and guess who's home, that's right SD/Stupid.  She's parked her POS dented up car (from her at least 5 that we know of accidents) in MY driveway, where my wife parks.  Now mind you, Ive told my wife I don't want SD parking in the driveway.  As I stated, the driveway is for people that actually PAY to live here.  Then we walk in the door, and there she is eating my food!

I'm so sick of this girl!  I can't stand the sight of her, her voice, everything about her.  I was rerally annoyed at how she feels free to just come and go as she pleases and raid my refrigerator at will!  She's such an entitled little idiot!  Of course, as discussed prevously here, DW encourages it by always telling "her little angel" that "it will always be her home and she's welcome to anything".  It makes me want to puke!

So needless to say, I was not happy.  I put the things away that we bought, and did my usual disengaged/ignoring of SD.  Of course, DW says out loud, "aren't you going to say hi to SD?" and shot me a look like talk to her!  I said aloud, "yes, I can see she's here, but you dont need to act so awkward, she's not a child".  To which I got the dirty look and I know the texts and comments are shortly coming.

I just wish this "kid" would go away!!!!  Im sure there are those who would say Im just mean, but Ive just had it up to here with this girl.  She's an adult now and I don't want her around!  I didn't sign up to be married to my wife AND her stupid loser daughter.  Uggggggg

Seamus853's picture

Unfortunately (and you already probably know this), wishing them to go away to fix the problem is unlikely to happen. Even if she moves, your wife will be wanting to visit her and emotionally will still be very tied to her. Sounds like your wife has the problem of the "guilts" - guilty for divorcing (no matter who initiated in her previous marriage) and she makes up for it by no disciplining, no boundaries - hey, I'm a rug - walk all over me.

The tough thing for you ultimately is you have to think about whether or not your marriage/your wife if worth your unhappiness. Is it worth the love of your wife to stay in? I know divorcing again is not what you want. I don't know that your wife will change, though. 

Another thing to think about ( I don't know if you've done this) is to say to your wife that her relationship with her daughter has seriously made you wonder whether the marriage is worth it. I wonder what her response would be.

FlyBoyJ's picture

I'm about to have a meltdown.  So DW and I spent a nice day together.  It's been an extremely crazy busy week and I definately was looking forward to a nice relaxing weekend with DW.  The day was going along nicely, lunch, and we were talking about doing something fun tonight, and having a romantic evening.  So we come home from lunch and took a nap.  DW woke up before me and was in the family room.  I wake up, come out to the family room, and guess whos there?  That's right Stupid/SD.  My mood sinks instantly!

Then DW says to me, "what do you want to do with SD tonight?".  I was appauled!  "Date night" out the window yet again, because this little stupid needy daughter of hers decides to "grace" us with her precence. I guess her stupid boyfriend must be out with his buddeis tonight, so now we're stuck with her.

I'm ready to explode!  It's taking everything I have from not telling DW that I HATE SD and am NOT spending the evening with her.  It actually disgusts me that DW actually thinks it's ok.  I had to come here and vent!

Do I stand my ground and just ignore SD as usual and tell DW, I'm not doing anything?  Suck it up?  Etc etc?

sportslover's picture

I get sick just reading this, its 100% different than how I was and was treated as an 18 year old girl  (or any age) that I just can't even, as they say. It was turned around where I always had to dote on my parents, etc..but I digress...

Here's the thing that sticks out to me..YOU HOLD ALL THE CARDS..... and it's a Royal Flush.  She obviously REALLY refuses to have a job (which in and of itself would be a dealbreaker for most anyon nowadays).  All you really have to do is move out for a month into a nice studio hotel room thingy with a kitchenette, withdrawing all monetary support...I'd bet anything  crap would change, and fast.  I don't know how you can stand watching it, truly.

fairyo's picture

You had planned a date-night and I would offer to take DW out and leave SD in the house- maybe you don't trust her though? DW is not living up to her promise if she refuses to go out with you, and this constant putting SD's needs before yours is frustratiing and demeaning.

I think standing your ground is your only option- sucking it up and cancelling because of SD's arrival unannounced (which is very rude btw) if DW isn't prepared to go out on a date with you I would be tempted to just go out on your own and have a date with yourself. Giving in will only pass the wrong message and next time SD will think she can just turn up again forever and ever amen.

FlyBoyJ's picture

So last night I ended up watching football with some friends.  While I didn’t come out and officially say it, I hope DW got the message loud and clear, if she wants to spend the evening with SD/Stupid, it will be without me. 

It just keeps getting either worse or comical, I don’t know what to call it anymore. Tonight we are just about ready to go to bed and the door opens up. It’s 10:30 at night and here comes Stupid and her boyfriend. They walk in, immediately start making food from my refrigerator, running the blender and SD/Stupid starts doing her laundry!  While I sit there in disbelief at the gall of this girl, of course DW is all smiles and keeps saying “oh honey (SD) do you need me to do anything for you?”  I got so sick of seeing one DW doting on stupid and two disgusted by the fact that this idiot thinks it’s okay to show up late on a work night and start doing her laundry and eat my food. Of course saying anything to DW is pointless since she’ll just yell at me that “this is SD’s home forever and she’s always welcome!”

FlyBoyJ's picture

So yesterday DW and I had a big blow up. She went, without even consulting me and put four new tires, had washed and cleaned, filled with gas, bought a bunch of groceries for SD that’s at college (the one I like) and as usual BEGGED her to come home for a “special dinner”. Well when all was said and done, DW had spent over $600!!!  I was livid. Of course SD/Stupid is also begged by mommy to come home for dinner and of course she’s always ready to sponge of us.  The sight and sound of Stupid/SD just made my bad day that much worse. 

I told DW I wasn’t up for the cute little family night she arranged and that I had paperwork to do (which I really did). Of course today I get from DW that, “you need to treat the girls like your own and love on them and spend time with them.”  Well of course she’s referring to Stupid because I’m fine with he older one. I am not interested in spending any time with her. Everything about her makes my skin crawl!  I really feel like just flat out telling DW that I’ve done my time. They are adults and I will choose if I want to be around them, which of course I’ll take the older one in small doses but refuse to be around the younger one (stupid). I haven’t said that yet, but it’s what I want to say. Of course DW will tell me it’s a package deal. Especially Stupid because I’m all honestly that’s the one she cares about. 

I wish DW could just accept the fact that I am not their father, certainly don’t want to be for the younger one, and I’m not interested in any kind of relationship with her.  I’m not telling DW she can’t have a relationship with Stupid, but just don’t include me.

Thoughts?  Recommendations? Advice?

FlyBoyJ's picture

Im still not sure what triggered it but I came home from work tonight and DW was loaded for bear. She started this crazy ranting and raving attack on me that her “girls didn’t want to come home anymore because I wasn’t friendly” to them.   She went on to say that if I didn’t “knock it off” and start “loving on them” that she would treat MY daughter (12) “like s$&!”  Real nature, right?

Let me be clear.  I am never rude or "mean" to HER daughters.  As you can read earlier, I get along well with SD23 and am always pleasant to her.  I do have a problem with how entitled she is.  Its always something.  Money for rent, money for food, money for gas, and on and on.  It never ends and 'mommy' always says "she works so hard at school" to which I call BS since I know for a fact that shes ALWAYS out drinking/partying, but when I resist and say I'm not an ATM, I am called every name under the sun. I married my wife.  I did not sign up to be a father to her adult children nor support them for the rest of their lives. 

I do despise SD19, also for reasons explained earlier.  However, I am never "mean" nor "rude", I have simply decided to disengage from her over the last year.  I will say hi and bye, but Im not interested in hearing the verbal diahrea that comes out of this idiots' mouth.  So I simply either sit there and say nothing or just leave the room.

So after listening to this tirade go on and on about how awful I am and what a POS I am I finally had enough and said, “hmmmm, I put a roof over your heads, food on your plates (plus SD19's idiot boyfriend who's always over), gas in your cars (each girl has one), cell phones (nothing but top of the line for the princesses), insurance, etc etc and to top it off I’m paying for both of their college expenses (because their Bio Dad pays ZERO despite being very wealthy) and I’m awful???  DW refuses to get a real job and hides behind the fact that she can’t find a good job because she’s only “been a mom” (which of course in this economy is a joke because anyone that wants a job can easily find one, EVERYWHERE is hiring). 

I said your girls are NOT little kids anymore and yes I do have a problem with them always showing up at the house I pay for and eating the food I pay for, doing laundry with the supplies I pay for and giving nothing in return.  Whenever they are here, all they do is eat, sleep and make a mess.  No chores, they dont clean up after themselves, and get waited on hand and foot by mommy.  I said they are adults and need to start acting like it.  Being a parent in my world doesnt mean taking care of the kids in perpetiuity.  Of course there's the issue, Im NOT ALLOWED to have a parenting opinion that differ's from DW's.  What she says goes, and her idea of parenting is to encourage her kids to live off of us FOREVER.  They are a couple of entitled spoiled brats who always get what they want from mommy and I’ve had it!

So I got my answer. She said “my girls will ALWAYS come first to me and ALWAYS be welcome, and if you can’t accept that 100%, you can leave”. Funny, she doesn’t pay a dime towards rent, utilities, food, etc but I’m the one that can leave. 

I just might at that.....

disrestep's picture

I read through this quick, but if I read correctly, you are basically paying for everything at a house your wife originally lived in with the first family. SD and her Bf do or pay nothing to help out and just help themselves to everything you buy? Your DH tell you you need to treat her kids like they are your own while they all leach off you.

So, just stop paying for their expenses and tell your disallusioned DW that since she thinks you are so bad, then you mind as well be. If SD is not paying some sort of rent or helping out, tell DW she needs to start now or you will  no the longer provide for a free-loading adult skid who needs to learn how to pay for herself and act like an adult.

good luck

Rags's picture

So when the lease is up... move.  Take everything with you.

She should find the local Interstate over pass to be an interesting place to live when the FlyBoyJ gravy trains pulls out of the station with her fading in the rear view mirror.

FlyBoyJ's picture

You guys are probably getting sick of my tales of woe, but I feel like if I don’t have somewhere to vent, I’m going to implode. Thank goodness for this site!!

So the latest from DW is that she told me that “I know you weren’t raised in a normal family environment but you MUST start being WARM to my girls”. Hmmm so she’s insulting my parents and upbringing. For the record I had A GREAT upbringing, but my wife is one of those people that thinks that if someone doesn’t live EXACTLY like her and her parents, that they are in the wrong. She criticizes my parents and my childhood because we didn’t sit around and play games and hug and tel stories over dinner. Sorry dear, people are different and guess what I turned out just fine. 

I think it’s a new low to now attack my parents and sister as “cold” simply because they don’t sit around and incessantly gossip about relatives like DW and her parents. 

I have to ask, why is it incumbant upon me to change?  Why is her way the “right way” and my personality is the “wrong way”?  Her narcissistic parents are the same way. They sit on the phone daily with their prescription on how other people should live their lives. 

I’m sorry, I intensely dislike SD19 and am not going to be someone I’m not and sit and listen to the absolute stupidity that comes out of her mouth and act all warm and fuzzy to her. 

Am I out of line here?

FlyBoyJ's picture

Anorher perfect example at the over the top obsession DW has with SD19/Stupid.  So DW planned a weekend trip away with just us and another couple. Not that is would be super romantic with another couple, but at least it’s just us and another couple right?  So DW is super excited, making plans, etc. Then a couple of days before the trip, SD19 tells Mommy that her boyfriend will be out of town that weekend. Immediately DW shrieks, “oh honey, so you mean you’ll be ALL alone???”  To which SD19 puts on her poor me act with the doe eyes and says, “yes, and I’m really sad”. Of course, right on cue, DW says to Stupid, “do you want to come with us?”  You could hear my jaw hit the floor!  Not only is it incredibly PATHETIC, it’s inappropriate. DW is so wrong on how she views this child. It makes me sick.  So shortly after I said point blank to DW “this is an ADULT weekend, and if SD comes along, it will be without me and without my money.”  To which DW said “oh I’m only joking”. No she wasn’t....

Rags's picture

For a number of years when we were first married my DW would refuse to do any vacation type activities while SS was on SpermLand visitation. I finally had enough and told her that no longer would I forego trips with my family or friend focused activities because she felt guilty doing anything of note while SS was in SpermLand.

It was a rough transition for a year or so but eventually she got on board and we very much injoyed our 7wks of Skid free time each year (5wks summer, 1wk winter, 1wk spring). 

I calmed the drama by telling her that if we did something that turned out to be something we felt SS would enjoy or that the three of us would enjoy doing together that we could do it again when he got  home.  For the  most part the non Skid time was more aligned with adult related activities (concerts, parties, etc...) so there was not much that we had to repeat when SS was with us.  Once he launched at 18, we no longer had these issues though periodically one or the other of us will comment that we wish the Skid was with  us.

Most launching issues are with kids.  It appears that  the one you are dealing with in your marriage has more to do with your bride launching into the adult mommy world than it necessarily does with your SD launching into the adult world.  Or maybe it is 50/50?

We have loved our empty nester years adventure so far.  SS-26 launched at 18 and we have remained close but neither his mom nor I will forego our time as parents to an adult child rather than all kid all the time parents to younger kids. 

This is our time!

Merry's picture

So your DW told you to leave if you couldn't be "warm" toward her kids? That's comical.

What are you waiting for? Leave, and take all your financial support with you. Pay whatever bills are in your name, but DW gets no money for groceries, gas, etc.

I'm not one to suggest that money=power in a relationship, but in your case it sounds like you are a giver and she is a taker, to the extreme. You need to get her attention and so far you haven't found a way to get through to her through conversation, discussion, requests. Are you being too nice? Have you been clear about what exactly you want? If you think you have, the next tactic is her lifestyle.

FlyBoyJ's picture

So we did the adult weekend away this past weekend, but of course left a day later than planned because DW couldn't fathom the idea of Stupid/SD19 being left home alone.  Of course, SD19 announced late Friday night (we were supposed to lave Friday afternoon) that she would be spending the night at her friends.  I laughed becaue one, she doesnt really have any friends and two, I know (however DW would NEVER admit it even if it was right in front of her face) that SD19 was going to get stoned and drunk.  We left Saturday morning, and the whole weekend, DW is texting SD19 asking her,"are you ok???"  "do you need anything?" and "mommy loves you and misses you".  SICK!!!

FlyBoyJ's picture

Now just today DW tells me she wont be home for dinner because she has an event. She says im on my own, which is just fine by me. Now she just texts me saying SD19(Stupid) will “be home tonight so you guys can order a pizza.”  Doesn’t she get it???  I HATE this girl!!!  Indont want to even go home now!!!!!  I want to respond to DW “why is she going to be at MY house, what does she want now?”

StepUltimate's picture

Wondering if your DW is trying to push you over the edge so she can justify her gaslighting, games, and bizarre disrespect ot you? I am concerned for you and glad you found rhis site because it's better for you to vent here (we understand!) than react to your DW and SD.

It seems like you have a pretty good idea what you need to do, and I wish you success. Please keep writing here, and take good care of yourself. 

FlyBoyJ's picture

Thank you for the kind words. Yes i am worried anout myself.  I know that jusy having this kid around has made me depressed and is taking a physical toll on me. I have hearrburn constantly!!!  I kkow its not just SD/Stupid but that certainly adds a ton to the stress on me. The other part is financial. Im supposed to pay for offspring that arent mine, refuse to work are entitled and spoiled rotten by mommy. Im supposed to fork out the cash but have no say in anything they do. 

Perfect example is the latest with SD23’s upcoming “gap year”, which in my opinion os this new agey parenting excuse for “lets keep our adult children dependent on is for even longer so we dint lose our self worth”.  When i said to DW that if SD23 was going to not be a student then she darn well better be working FULL TIME and also will be paying rent to live in MY house as well as paying for her own phone, gas, insurance, etc. 

Oh boy did I get it!!  DW screamed at me that both of her daughters are welcome to live in THEIR home for as long as they want and furthermore ot was “too expensive” for “kids” to live on their own anymore. To which i said, its always been expensive, but in generations past they moved out at 18 and moved somewhere affordable and didnt feel “entitled” to live in hip cool expensive places. 

I know i will never win. I know DW will ALWAYS AND FOREVER put her kids ahead of me. I know my only real solution is leaving and divorce but i guess im hust hesitant to pull the trigger. 

Siemprematahari's picture

Are your finances separate from that of your wife? If not than you should look into doing so and only have money going to pay the shared bills and the rest into another account that you can save. I would under no circumstances finance and take care of fully functional, grown, disrespectful adult kids. I know you are hesitant to make a choice on remaining in your marriage but if its affecting your health than this should be enough to push you to consider a decision soon.

You know for certain your wife will not change her stance when it comes to her kids. All you can do is control your actions and right now the ball is in your court. Value yourself enough to know that this marriage is toxic and its stripping you of the wonderful person that you are.

FlyBoyJ's picture

Finances are seperate to the extent that i have my business account. We have a joint account and then she has her owb account that she shares with HER girls. What that basically means is the tiny amount that she makes from her couple hour a week “job”. As the sole earner i am expected to transfer money into our joint account for her to spend wildly with. 

I know im a fool!  Why do I put up with this life?  I ask myself the same question. Sadly the reality is she will never change, her offspring will never change and I will be expected to shut up and shell out for the rest of my life if I say in this. 

FlyBoyJ's picture

Yes, thank goodness for this site where at least I can vent and hear that im not this awful horrible person DW tries to make me feel like. I have nobody else to talk to. She’s cut me off from my friends who, before DW and I started dating i was very close with. We all went to college together and DW doesnt allow me (she says I can do whatever I want, but I think everyone knows the truth) to associate with them because she thinks they are immature. She’s convinced that if I do say a guys weekend with them like i used to do annually, and they still do, that I will have relations with other women. (Ive never ever cheated or done anything remotely to wrong her).  She scours my email and texts daily looking for any sign that i’m “talking” to other women, even replying to SPAM messages saying “leave me alone, Im married” (Ive tried to explain the concept of spam to her to no avail).  Tracks my every move on find my friends. So needless to say secretly venting in this site is my only “safe” outlet. 

SteppedOut's picture

Good God man. You need to get your ass in therapy or something to figure out why you are accepting a life of being walked on and abused. Make no mistake, you ARE being emotionally abused.

Please get help. 

Major Blunder's picture

I've read from the beginning and we have similar circumstances, mine are a little more entrenched but still......, I know it all sounds so difficult but perhaps you do need to tighten the purse strings on your DW, put only into the joint account your half for "household" expenses, which means nothing for the SDs, it will probably lead to an all out war, but that is what others have done here.

I like you can't do half of what is suggested here, my DW does work full time ( I still make the majority ) and she has gotten better about enabling her kids ( both adult age but not adult acting ), it's an uphill battle and very strenuous on a marriage and your health.

The only thing I would agree could work for you is marriage counseling, then again you have to hope you find the right counselor so some shopping around will have to take place.

This site is a great place to vent and I also keep it a secret from DW.

Best of luck bud.

secret's picture

A child is not a package deal...herpes is a package deal.

You're not required to kiss sd's butt the way mom does... That girl will have a rude awakening when her boss and coworkers treat her like you do.... She will either realize that mom treats her like a baby while everyone else treats her like an adult, or she will be so deluded that she will think life is sooooo unfair and everone is against her.

Any bets?

FlyBoyJ's picture

Another perfect example of how SD19/Stupid is a manipulative littje creature and how DW falls for it hook, line and sinker. The last couple of nights I come home from work and as I turn the corner my heart sinks. There’s Stupid’s car in the driveway. I dont even want to go into my own house. There she is sprawled out on the couch, watching my TV, eating my food and DW is waiting on her hand and food with the nauseating “what can mommy do for you?”  I took my dog into the garage and watched tv by myself. 

Of course i my mind, I know the truth SD wants something. Thats the only reason she comes around and of course mom is the sucker every time. So last night I asked DW, “what does she want now?”  DW snapped at me, “she’s here because this is her home and it always will be!”  I replied, “no, she lives with her boyfriend (which is wonderful as far as im concerned) and only comes around you when she wants something.”  

I got the glare from DW for daring to question her precious little angel’s intentions. Im honestly not sure if DW is really that naive or shes just in denial. 

Well a little later in the evening, DW left her phone out when she went to the restroom, and bam there it was!  Tons of texts from SD/Stupid saying “can i get money?”, “when xan i get the money?”  Of course, there’s DW’s replies, “of course honey”, “how much do you need honey”, “what can mommy buy for you honey?”

it makes me want to be sick!!!

Siemprematahari's picture

FlyBoyJ, your wife sounds toxic. You have allowed her to isolate you away from your friends. She doesn't let you do XYZ (fill in the blanks). You are a man with your own mind. How do you let your wife dictate how you live your life? This is not a loving supporting marriage. Its full of control and manipulation and a disrespect SD to boot. You are the main bread winner paying for just about everything and she's draining the life out of you. These are your finances and you of course contribute to the bills but you don't give her complete access and not know how she is spending the money. There is so much wrong here and you are being taken advantage of.

Major Blunder's picture

^^^^^^^^^

Totally agree with this, you two are not only not on the same page you're not in the same book. If she were contributing more that might be one thing but she's not so either marriage counseling, seperate finances or kick them both to the curb and move on with your life ( I don't say that often here ).

FlyBoyJ's picture

So tonight, I was making dinner for DW and myself.  I was making salmon and had purchased enough for the two of us, as is usually the case.  Well 20 minutes before dinner was ready, SD19 (Stupid) decides to grace us with her presence (I guess the boyfriend is out with friends).  Of course, as usual, DW immediately begins doting on Stupid.  "What can Mommy do for you honey??"

Of course Stupid likes salmon, so expects to eat the dinner I was making.  I made a comment to DW that I hadn't planned on having three for dinner and I was not okay with SD just popping in whenever the mood struck her and expecting to be fed.  I said it's rude and inconsiderate.

Oh boy, did I catch holy hell!!  DW yelled and screamed at me that this house is SD's "home" and she will always be welcome to come and go as she pleases and is entitled to "anything she wants".

Hmmmm let's see, SD is an adult who lives with her boyfriend (except when she wants money or groceries or needs to do laundry).  DW says I'm "more like their Dad than their Bio Dad", and "we're a family" but Im not allowed to make rules or have expectations of common courtesy in the house I pay for and support with ZERO financial support from DW.  Let's see, generally BOTH parents have a say in how  their offspring conduct their lives with respect to the parents home and financial support.  However, in my case it appears that Im only to be the source of money without comment, input, opinion or feeling.

Rags's picture

"SD's home" my ass!!!  Call t he locksmith, rekey the locks and put STBXDW's and her toxic spawns shit on the curb. If they pick it up, good for them. If not... they can go to the dump and dig for it.

smh

fairyo's picture

I have read these posts and come to my own conclusions about what may be happening here. You seem trapped almost like an addiction to your SD's behaviour. You seem to  need to justify your discontent by revealing with 'what she has done today' stories. I remember being like this but long before I found this site. I would ring friends, my daughter, telling them ad nauseum and ad infinitum about my XOSD's behaviour. 'You'll never believe what she did, said...etc etc' until I got sick of myself saying these things.

When I stopped doing it was when I became anxious and depressed and couldn't figure out what was going on. Eventually I found this site and my journey of self-realisation began.

One of the hardest things to face up to was that it wasn't really my relationship with XOSD, but my relationship with TheX. Over time, he started to tell me that his kids would always come first.

I came to the realisation that I was way down on his list and it took me awhile for this to sink in. I went to counselling, but in the end the light came on and I walked. I never looked back and now I wonder why I put up with it- but when you're in there it seems impossible to break away from.

I think you know, underneath it all, what you have to do. I just hope you have the courage to do it because if not things will not get better, they will not stay the same, they will get worse.

If you cannot give yourself permission to stop supporting these damaged freeloading individuals then I will give it to you. Leave. If you cannot do it now at least see how it could happen, and open yourself up to a life free of this intolerable burden.

Rags's picture

I think that at some level many Sparents get addicted to the toxic drama. I know I did.  It took me a couple of years to get over the adrenalin rush of battling with the SpermClan once my SS-26 aged out from under the Custody/Visitation/Support CO.

Now, for the most part, it is just some unpleasant memories that surface when I am STalking.   Though I do enjoy  the vision I have of pissing on SpermGrandHag's coffin as it lowers into the dirt.   Diablo

But... that is likely just a fantasy though one that is extremely appealing to me even 8 years after my son aged out from under the CO and put the shallow and polluted end of his gene pool far behind him.

ndc's picture

There must be something super special about your wife that entices you to stay in this dysfunction while she and her offspring use you.  I haven't seen in your postings what it is, but it has to be something.

notasm3's picture

What the eff is wrong with you?  You can stop the financial enabling with your money RIGHT NOW!!!! 

You are an abused person who is doing NOTHING to stop the abuse.  No difference from the spouse who keeps getting beaten to a pulp who keeps staying for more. You need to either help yourself or get some serious help to learn why you allow this.