You are here

Ketchup

Applecore's picture

I just joined up recently, I'd been reading the forums for a couple of weeks. Gotta say I really enjoyed the post on disengaging. It gave me a few tools to use. Whoever posted that, thank you! Anyhow....

I'm having the "I am going to be doing homework until 9pm because I insist on not applying myself because I feel you will eventually give me the answers or give up" evening with my stepson, but I digress.

While getting dinner made this evening I needed ketchup for meatloaf. As I went to the fridge the ketchup was almost empty. I then go to where I keep the extra ketchup before it is opened. What's the big deal in that you ask? Apparently over the course of my last few weeks of shopping I felt we "needed" ketchup and it somehow made its way onto "THE LIST." I kid you not, I have 9 bottles of ketchup in our hutch.

I got quite a chuckle out of this. In my need to feel socially acceptable and semi-quasi normal I thought I would ask...What buildup of some odd item do you all have accumulating in your homes? And how much? Why does it make its way to your shopping list and why do you feel you have to have it?

Yea, I know its dumb but its also funny if ya think about it.

Upon further examination there are 3 full boxes of saltine crackers....hmmm...why? We seldom eat them.

Elizabeth's picture

For a while there this winter when soup was on such a good sale and there were lots of coupons out, I was buying three or four cans of soup a week. My husband used to go through a lot of soup, so I assumed he still was. At one point I had something like 12 cans of soup in our pantry (the big ones, not the small ones). There's still four or five left.

bellacita's picture

i know its not a food staple, but im so addicted to bonne bell lip smackers and expensive lipglosses...my vice! i have like 20 hoarded away in my nitestand, 3 in my car, 4 here at work, one in my purse...u name it. theres even a spare in my fiancees car! no matter how much i have, i see new ones and want more!

mediocrityrulesman's picture

peanut butter. I don't know why but there must be at least 3 in the cupboard. The only time pb is used is when my daughter or my SD7 has a peanut butter and jelly sandwich...not that often.
Weird. lol

Lace Lady's picture

Cannot stop buying toilet paper & paper towels. It's always been that way.

Cajun Lady

ColorMeGone2's picture

Shall we discuss how many rolls of toilet paper I have? Man, run out once and you over-compensate FOREVER.

♥ Georgia, the un-stepmom ♥

"Good men don't just happen. They have to be created by us women." (from ROSEANNE)

laurels4u's picture

You name it, I have it! I don't intend to buy it either. I always wind up in the spice aisle and buy anything that is on sale. I use it once then forget about it. On the other hand, my DH buys soda every single time we go to the store. We'll never run out.

smurfy1smile's picture

I keep extras of everything - toilet paper, deoderant, hair care products, soup, crackers, peanut butter, and yes lots of ketchup (My BF uses it on almost everything - YUCK!). I am a little parinoid of running out of the essentials. Funny that I always have this stash and no one in this house is capable of looking for the stuff. BS16 will run out of deoderant and tell me he needs more and I ask if he looked in the linen closet - no. He claims he has not idea where I keep anything, yeah right. My ex husband was the same way, he claimed he would help with house cleaning but he did not know where I put the cleaning supplies - DUH - the same place as your mother, under the kitchen sink.

My friends make fun of me for the amount of TP I keep around, but I am the one that laughs when they run out.

Harleygal's picture

on his enchiladas. That's the sickest thing I've ever heard of. Skids dip pizza in ranch dressing. And they put ketchup on their mac and cheese.

"I think men who have a pierced ear are better prepared for marriage. They've experienced pain and bought jewelry" - Rita Rudner

Dreamer's picture

Since the skids have moved in I bought a membership to Sams, so now I have alot of everything, but with them around nothing lasts long.

I have a case of TP, a HUGE pack of soap (about 2 years worth I think), A huge bottle of shampoo and conditioner (should last a year I think, or a month with SD10 arround), a case of paper towels, tons of plasic cups, 2 to 4 gallons of milk at a time, and about 10 cans of tomatoes or tomato sauce.

Don't fear the thorns among the Roses, but be greatful for the Roses among the thorns

Mary Louise's picture

I bought a SAMs pack of soap and forgot and bought another one. I think we still have 10 or 12 bars lying around.

smurfy1smile's picture

We have a membership too. It was BF's idea so I got the token membership and they gave me the wrong last name, his! I didn't even notice til like 2 weeks later when I was looking at the card.

Harleygal's picture

Sam's has an auction site. It's auctions.samsclub.com. I learn something new everyday.

"I think men who have a pierced ear are better prepared for marriage. They've experienced pain and bought jewelry" - Rita Rudner

smurfy1smile's picture

I forgot I always have tons of kid snacks around to feed the masses that show up on my doorstep every night. Sam's is great for the indutrial size of almost anything!

Georgie Girl's picture

OMG, I think we live in these two stores. For us it is the 12 pack of hashbrowns cartons and p-butter. We have not made hashbrowns or p-butter sandwiches in months!!!

We also have more mandarin orange snack containers than we could eat in a year. Biggrin

ttina's picture

at my house it runs in cycles. the kids will want ramen noodles everyday, then they will switch to hot pockets Right now it's cake mixes. Since little girl has gotten into baking with me we experament with different combinations of cakes and frostings. Since we don't know what we'll be in the mood to fix we pick up what ever brand/flavor is on sale.

But what I was surprised was the alcohol in our cabinet. DH and I like to try different mixed drinks and we may make then for when friends stop by. We try the recipe, put the bottle away and when we want to try something else, we stop by the ABC store to pick up what we need. We end up with lots of half empty bottles in the cabinet.

gertrude's picture

I did the same with vanilla - had five bottles of it. Don't know how it happened. But then again, one night after dinner, I carefully put the ice cream away in the oven. This is not the way to make creme brulee...

Sarah101's picture

Our thing is yellow mustard and WD-40. DH can't pass on a deal, so when yellow mustard goes for 50 cents he feels compelled to buy it. So what if we already have 10 bottles on the shelf at home? It's a GOOD DEAL.

In our garage there are no less then 8 bottles of WD-40 on the shelf. And our doors still squeak! Go figure...

losingmymind's picture

Sounds weird but we too keep thinking (i guess) that we need cheese and either I put it in the cart or DH does but non the less...we have a ton of cheese.

That is the funniest post!! I saw ketchup and just had to look!! Thanks for the laugh! Smile

evilsm's picture

DH has gotten on a salad kick lately and buys dressing every time he goes to the store. Last week when I opened the cabinet there were 4 unopened bottles in there and at least 8 open ones in the frig. Also my DH was looking for jelly the other day and could not find it, I looked and found 3 open jars (of the same kind). I think I need to take him off shopping detail. Smile

~Evil

If you want children to keep their feet on the ground, put some responsibility on their shoulders. ~Abigail Van Buren

Elizabeth's picture

My husband isn't allowed to shop for groceries because he can't plan a menu and ends up buying tons or random sweets/chocolates. For example, the man can run to the store for a gallon of milk and come back with $35 worth of groceries, none of which can be used to make dinner. One time he came with me and got chocolate milk, chocolate donuts, chocolate pudding, chocolate chips, coconut cake, ice cream, you get the picture.

kassandrarayne's picture

I hoard it all!! I'm the queen of pack rats seriously! I have 26 bottles of shampoo and conditioner, 12 sticks of deoderant, too much toilet paper to count, every time I see a book sale I have to stock up...I'm up to I think 58 I have yet to read at last count, mousse, gel, hairspray, laundry detergent, towels, dishes....I have enough for 3 housefulls I swear...oh let's not forget jackets, purses and shoes now...I get rid of 1 and buy 2 to replace it. The BF used to be the super stocker of Canned diced tomatoes...never less than 5 large cans in the cupboard.