You are here

I'll have the Medical Records w/ a side order of Personal Information please

Applecore's picture

This was an eye opener.

My 10 year old daughter has missed three weekend visits over the past three months because she keeps getting strep throat. She's been fevered and I didn't want the other kids to get it. Also, a lot of children want their Mommy when they don't feel good so I've tried to be understanding.

Well, she wasn't here last weekend and my suspicions are rising. Seems odd to me to get strep that often. So yesterday I make a trip to Med Express where my Ex has been taking her.

This is what alarmed me. I told the nurse who I was and that I wanted records of my daughter's last three visits. She hands me a form to fill out. The nurse never asks me for any identification. I did NOT have my daughters SSN with me (but I do have it at home). I did NOT have her mother's address with me or her home phone number (she recently moved and I haven't memorized it but have the info at home as well). I even wrote down my son's date of birth by accident (early and lack of coffee).

The nurse says, "No problem, I have all that information right here," and gave me all of it. Now, this was a legit visit and I already have all this information but it got me to thinking. I left this medical office with medical and personal information and showed no ID whatsoever.

What if I would have been some psycho stalking Ex Husband trying to track down my Ex? Or some other weirdo that was stalking a total stranger and her kids? Or a possessive boyfriend?

Eventhough I had a good reason to be there and no ulterior motive I ended up leaving the place thinking...Damn.

steppie1999's picture

What kind of clinic was this? Sounds kinda shoddy to me.
Everytime I go to the clinic with one of the kids, there's all this "privacy" paperwork that they give you. I thought that was like a Federal Standard or something.
It's like pulling teeth around here to get the kind of paperwork that you just received.
VERY SCARY!!!!

"SOME PEOPLE WEREN'T MEANT TO HAVE CHILDREN" Sad

Chel Bell's picture

In this day & age...thats pretty scary. ~"Resist all the urges.... that make you want to go out and kill." ~ Chel.

_Jess_'s picture

That violates federal law. HIPPA. I'm a bit surprised - most healthcare providers are scared of HIPPA to the point that they go overboard and won't even release non-privileged information without making you jump through a gazillion hoops.

So........did she really have strep all those times?? :puzzled:

_Jess_'s picture

That violates federal law. HIPPA. I'm a bit surprised - most healthcare providers are scared of HIPPA to the point that they go overboard and won't even release non-privileged information without making you jump through a gazillion hoops.

So........did she really have strep all those times?? :puzzled:

ColorMeGone2's picture

So did she have it?

♥ Georgia, the un-stepmom ♥

"Good men don't just happen. They have to be created by us women." (from ROSEANNE)

Applecore's picture

The records say she has had it all three times which I think is weird. My sister (a nurse) said that is almost unheard of unless she needs her tonsils taken out. As of yet there are no plans to do so.

HOWEVER, my Ex has the type of personality that a doctor will get so exasperated with her he or she will put down whatever just to get her the hell out of the office (I've witnessed this 1st hand).

My "mole" informed me that my daughter went to look at a pony last weekend while she was supposedly fevered and ill. Right now I'm chalking the whole situation up to PAS and documenting the events.

Oh, and for those of you that asked the office was a Med Express. Very similar to a Quick Care.

"He that passeth by, and meddleth with strife belonging not to him, is like one that taketh a dog by the ears" Proverbs 26:17