You are here

I'm very confused...

CalgonTakeMeAway's picture

I'm trying to process all that I'm reading here, and there are some great suggestions and advice. I just keep going back to the same place...I married my DH a year ago knowing he had kids (SD19 and SS13 now) and knowing that BM had "mental issues" (very possibly BPD). I didn't really understand how it was because we didn't live together before we got married and I didn't spend much time with the skids. The skids and I get along pretty well, but we are dealing with parental alienation by BM. Over the year, my attitude has been deteriorating and that makes me feel guilty. I married this man for better or worse, so shouldn't I be right there fighting this with him? I have been, but it takes so much out of me. I have my own medical problems and my sister is fighting cancer. I need what little energy I have for those things, not fighting about skids or dealing with crazy BM. I feel like I'm shutting down, which causes guilt, which causes more stress. I want to be a good wife to DH and a good SM to the skids, but I don't know if I'm even capable! One thing I'm good at is keeping feelings to myself so skids have a nice home here. DH is very supportive and tries to relieve as much stress as possible, but right now I'm just feeling like a failure at everything! Anybody else feel torn like this?

cat72196's picture

My situation is a lot different from yours, but I wanted to say I'm sorry to hear this anyway... Is it possible that if you and your husband were communicating more openly, honestly and frequently, you would be in on this more together as a TEAM? I understand about keeping your feelings to yourself in FRONT of the kids, but there should be nothing you can't tell your husband.

CalgonTakeMeAway's picture

Thank you, Cat! I guess I didn't communicate that well here. My husband and I do communicate openly, honestly and frequently. He's very even-tempered and listens to all I have to say. We don't agree on everything, but we respect each other's opinions. I honestly have a wonderful man...it's just such a bad situation. We're walking a tightrope with the kids because BM is alienating them and has been from the beginning. We're too strong it pushes them away and we have no influence over them. We're too weak and they're insufferable brats. It's funny...compared to some of the stories here, I have it good. I have a wonderful, supportive husband and the skids are pretty nice for the most part. As I read more and more posts, I'm getting more perspective in my situation. I just cannot tolerate lying and manipulation, and BM is a master at those. I guess it has just been building up and I needed to vent to people who really understand! Thanks for your reply!