You are here

O/T - Prayer Request

CalgonTakeMeAway's picture

Hi Everybody,

I've mentioned before that my sister has cancer. We've been in the ER since this afternoon. She has a partially collapsed lung, probably due to a tumor there. The collapse has gotten bigger, so they're going to insert a chest tube. We've been waiting hours for her oncologist to get back to the docs in the ER before they do it. We're also waiting for the results of her CT scan today (other than the collapse)...to see if there are any new tumors in her abdomen or pelvis. It started out as uterine sarcoma, but it had already spread to her lungs and bones by the time she was diagnosed.

Could you please keep her in your thoughts and prayers? At this rate, it could be a long night! Thanks all!!

purpledaisies's picture

((hugs)) So sorry you guys are going through this. I really hope and pray that she will be make a full recovery.

stepfamilyfriend's picture

Oh Calgon. I am so so sorry. I've been offline most of the day, I wish I was able to send you some good thoughts sooner. Be strong.
(((((hugs))))) those were my first typed hugs ever, for you and your sister.

Thank you all so much! I'm honored SFF! They didn't insert the chest tube tonight cuz they couldn't reach her oncologist. They're admitting her and watching closely. About 40% of her right lung is collapsed. My guess is they'll do the chest tube tomorrow. I appreciate your thoughts and prayers!!

Kes's picture

Sorry, didn't see this till Tues morning because of the time difference. Hope your sister gets effective help today and feels much better.

dragonfly5's picture

Just logged on this morning and saw you post. I said a prayer for you and your sister.

You are not alone and we are all sending our love and support to you.

liks's picture

Wish I could make it all better....you must be going out of your mind....

Keep Positive thoughts and understand that miracles do happen all the time

I sincerly hope things get better for you and your family

huh....and we all thought we had it bad....its a nice reality check to hear such a story

seeingitfrombothsides's picture

I hope she has gotten some relief now, even though it is hard to call a chest tube a relief when they hurt. Sad Thinking of your sister...

Thank you so much, everybody! Your support and prayers mean so much!

She got the chest tube today. They did it in her room and let me stay and watch, but I didn't have a very good view. They couldn't totally knock her out because her BP was really low. It hurt her during the procedure, but she doesn't remember it because the meds they gave her.

During the procedure, there was a young medical student helping her hold her arm up. After awhile, he had to take over and hold her breast out of the way (the old lay on your back and boobs fall into your armpits dilemma). I told him, "Now when your friends ask what you did at work today, you can say 'I held a boob'!

She's in a lot of pain now. Hopefully the tube will come out tomorrow, which should relieve some of that pain. The good news is her lung reinflated very quickly! The bad news is her BP is still very low. They're pushing fluids. Hopefully that will be better tomorrow as well.

I've been running on little sleep and adrenalin, and now I'm exhausted and ready to crash. Back to the hospital tomorrow. Thank you again for your kind words, thoughts and prayers!

beyond pissed-off's picture

Sending good thoughts to your sister and you!!! So sorry that you are going through this. Please remember that you need to refresh yourself during the entire processes to be effective to your sister. Caregivers need to take care of themselves and often do not. Best wishes to you both!!!

Thanks Beyond!! I'm doing ok...I'm going to sleep for a week when this is done!! It's nice because she has a private room, so we have more room and I can use her bathroom!

Oi Vey's picture

Oh, dear...thoughts and prayers your way!Cancer is just AWFUL. Life is so unfair sometimes. Sad

Thank you Oi Vey! We really appreciate all the prayers we can get! Cancer SUCKS! But, that's the hand we were dealt, so we just keep putting one foot in front of the other!

Doubletakex3's picture

Lots of good juju coming your way! I'm all to familiar with marathon hospital days and it takes a tool. Try to get as much fresh air as you can...it's easy to lose a grasp on reality in the hospital. Hang in there and know that you are a treasure to your sister thru this. I'm sure she's terrified.

Hugs to you both!

Thank you Double! Fortunately, she has a private room with a big window, so we can see the sunshine! She's in pretty good spirits! I will be VERY happy when she's discharged, though! Thanks for your kind words! Smile