You are here

O/T...Update on Sister

CalgonTakeMeAway's picture

After 15 days, she's finally home from the hospital!! I took her home yesterday. She's definitely not out of the woods and I don't know if she ever will be. I have to take her for radiation therapy every this week and next week, then back to the oncologist to talk about more chemo. The surgery to keep her lung inflated worked so far, but she has so many tumors in that lung...all I can say is God is in control. We did talk about palliative care and Hospice when she was in the hospital, and we have all the info if/when she needs it. Right now they're considering all her treatment palliative as they cannot cure her particular cancer.

I've been so involved in my sister's care that I'm hardly home and hardly see skids. I haven't had to deal with nutty BM. I guess there is a silver lining in EVERY situation!

Thanks again to all of you who have been sending good thoughts and prayers for us. We appreciate you!!

Jsmom's picture

I am so sorry for what you are going through. It is great that she can be at home. That is the best medicine.

Being the caregiver is so much harder sometimes than being the patient. Having done this with my late husband, my advice is not to wait on the Hospice care for her at home. They don't have to be intrusive and it doesn't mean she or you have given up. But, the services and support they give are phenomenal and can be such a help. From an insurance standpoint, it is one fee that they insurance pays whether you use all their services or not. I didn't realize that until after he had died. No one talks about their fee structure.

If you need any advice privately, PM me. <>

Doubletakex3's picture

Ditto to this advice regarding Hospice. They can start with basic assistance groceries, prescriptions, etc.) and then gradually increase the services as needed. Unfortunately, when I've been through this we waited until we were in dire need before turning to them and it could have been so much easier if we had engaged earlier, even with a "light touch" approach.

I was really worried about you two since we hadn't heard about her being released from the hospital. That's no place to live...much better to be home. Never underestimate the power of your own pillow!

Still sending good juju to you both...

stepfamilyfriend's picture

I sure hope that in all of this you are taking care of yourself as well. Best to all of you!

CalgonTakeMeAway's picture

Thank you all so much!! She's doing pretty well, all things considered. We even went out to lunch today after her radiation treatment! Right now she's going to have a visiting nurse and home PT. I'm just going to take it one day at a time. She doesn't want Hospice right now but is open to it down the road. I guess we'll know when it's time.

Thanks again for your support, thoughts and prayers! I'll keep you updated...for now, no news is good news!! Hopefully nothing will happen this weekend...I'm going to take myself shopping and NOT deal with people!! Too bad we have the skids this weekend. Oh well, DH can deal with them! I'm OFF DUTY!!