You are here

I'm still staying with my friend, my husband and I talked last night.

alwaysanonymous's picture

A quick update before I have to leave for a job interview! I met my husband for dinner last night it was tense. I've been staying with a friend since I emailed him my ultimatum. His ex is back from her vacation with her boyfriend and is going through more tests to determine what stage breast cancer she has. My SD has been staying with her grandma (DH's mom whose very pissed at me at the moment apparently). I asked DH why SD isn't staying with him or BM and he said he's too busy with work and BM has to focus on her health right now. So maybe you all are right and I've been a free nanny all this time. It was good to talk things trhough with my husband but we didn't get very far. He said that what he needs is for me to come home and support him and SD through BM's cancer treatment. I understand supporting SD but why him? Everytime I asked him something like this he said I'm jealous and every time I tried to talk about me going back to work or starting the adoption process, he said I'm being selfish. I thought the separation would make him miss me and want me back but it just makes him mad at me. I'm starting to see a side of him I didn' tknow was there and I don't like it. He's obsessed with his exwife that's pretty much all he talked about. How scared she must be, how much she needs the support of her family and friends, how he and BM will have to help SD deal with her mom's cancer treatment. It was like I didn't exist, like I haven't been raising SD pretty much 100% of the time for the last few years. I left the dinner saying I need more time to think things through. He said literally "whatever, do what you need to do." I can't believe I'm actually thinking about it but I am thinking about divorce. Part of me thinks it's the right thing and the other part is afraid that he's right, that I am leaving him and sd when they need me most. Maybe I am selfish but then again maybe he's the selfish one.

Oh my god, most of that feels true for me! I will start reading more about it. I feel like such a fool.

Thank you both! That means a lot to me. My friend I'm staying with is being very helpful to me and she's starting to see my point of view. My mother in law, my own mom and my sister are very upset and say the same things my husband says. They say I'm selfish and I'm throwing away a perfectly good marriage for nothing.

Poodle's picture

Listen he's only got the hold on you he has because your upbringing has already undermined you. As I have urged from the outset, GET THERAPY or COUNSELING in order to build your self-esteem.

positivelyfourthstreet's picture

No you're just fine. There is absolutely nothing wrong with you.

HE is the selfish one who wants you stuck in his house caring for SD so he can wring his hands over his XW.

There is one thing though. "Do what you need to do" is rather cold and uncaring on his part but I agree with this statement.

You need to get a job. And away. This man has given you nothing to work with.
If he's so torn up over his XW why should you even give him one more single solitary thought?

Refer his pitiful ass to a therapist. Get yourself free.

I just had a short but good interview at the library! I've been hanging out here a lot and figure that I might as well trun in my resume. Fingers crossed!

thinkthrice's picture

Go to lovefraud.com and start reading on sociopathic behaviour--very similar to narcissistic people. These guys want:

1. free maid service
2. free nanny service
3. free tax, secretarial and legal service
4. free room and board (those who pay so much CS they are unable to contribute to SM)
5. free bedroom services

Very similar to being a mail order bride

Cocoa's picture

the two of you are separated now, for all intents and purposes, have a heart to heart to discuss your relationship and all he's worried about/talks about is bm. how you're not there supporting him and sd, how selfish you are. do not contact this man. start figuring out long term separation plans. it's good that sd is at granny's, now he can see how much you've been doing. girl, i'd be thinking about divorce, too. don't listen to the part of you that is saying YOU'RE letting HIM down! this is the woman in you that has allowed your dh have an inappropriate relationship with his ex all along. i'd tell him that he's free to take care of bm all the time now. she OBVIOUSLY needs him more than you. I feel for ya hon.

Thanks. I guess his ex does need him more than I do. I feel like sucha fool that this was going on all along and I just thought it was nice that my hsuband and his ex got along well!

misSTEP's picture

Yeah, being away from him has cleared your thinking somewhat. Otherwise, you may have never even thought it strange that he couldn't care for his own daughter while you are away. Of COURSE MIL is pissed at you. He has spun the stories into you being a horrible person! Either that or she was sick of being the nanny herself!

Stay gone. Even you leaving isn't giving him enough of a kick in the ass to quit the emotional affair he is having with his ex. Why the hell did they even divorce? I bet it wasn't HIS idea or if it was, he is now regretting it.

It wasn't his idea. She had an affair and left him and her daughter. Didn't even see her for six months. Says she needs personal time to figure out her life and now she gets sick so she'll never be a mom to that poor child. My heart is breaking right now for her and the the thought of not being in her life. My husband knows that and he knows how heavy it weighs on me that I can't have children. He even said that last night, "SD may be the only child you'll ever have and you're willing to leave her?" Funny that he doesn't hold BM accountable for leaving SD, just me.

Aniki-Moderator's picture

SD may be the only child you'll ever have...

Not if you adopt. Especially with a DH willing to do so.

Yes, the info about BM's cancer changes every time I talk to my husband. I can't keep it straight! I bet you're right, they caught it early and she will be treated and cured. Not that it's not serious! But why is it my problem?!

Poodle's picture

oh really? what's the website and who's the poster? I'd like to dig further, not comfortable either

Poodle's picture

I can't keep it straight because every time my husband talks to me about it his story changes! Last night he said her doctor thought it was early stage 0 at first but now they're doing more tests to figure out what stage it is. He mentioned a PET scan. I googled that today and learned that those tests are done in more serious cases, so maybe it's true that BM is really sick. Or maybe she's lying to my husband to keep him close! How the hell shoudl I know since they've both been lying to me?! I don't know why you question me, that's not very nice.This website is the only place I have right now to try to clear my head since my family thinks I should go back to him.

Poodle's picture

It's not the only place. Anyone can get counseling or speak to a friend. It's dangerous for you to transfer all your dependency onto a bunch of posters that you don't know.

Drac0's picture

>Part of me thinks it's the right thing and the other part is afraid that he's right, that I am leaving him and sd when they need me most. Maybe I am selfish but then again maybe he's the selfish one.<

I think I can safely say that in all breakups, there is always some doubt. It could be momentary or it could linger for years, but there will ALWAYS be doubt. Judging from what you wrote it sounds like he doesn't consider your marriage high on his list of priorities. All he talked to you was about SD and his ex? Reading your post again, it does sound like he trying to make you feel "guilty" about leaving. Neither does well for reaching marriage reconcilation.

ChiefGrownup's picture

It may interest you, alwaysanonymous, to hear what a loving husband says when his wife gets upset about something. Mine will give me his point of view, if relevant*, then he always proceeds to ask me what I need to make it right. ME. Not his kid, not his ex, not himself, ME.

Why didn't your husband say, "what can I do to make things right for you so you will come home and be happy?"

Why didn't he even say, "I LOVE you, you're my sweetheart, I can't stand being away from you." ???!!!?!&%!!

I know leaving the little girl will be hard for you. Why don't you name your dream salary then offer yourself as nanny to him for that price.

"Let's make this arrangement more honest, DH. Let's divorce. Then I'll work for you at this price. These will be my hours. Prices double if you need me to take her overnight. Feel free to date your ex-wife all you want. As long as my paycheck doesn't bounce, we're good. BTW, there will be some nights you'll have to make other arrangements, cuz I'll be dating as well."

If he agrees to any salary that you find attractive, consider doing this. If the money isn't good, just proceed with your job hunt as usual.

*Sometimes he doesn't have a point of view cuz it's an issue he doesn't care about. Sometimes the discussion is complicated and long, but in the end he ALWAYS gets to the "how can I make you happy on this" part.

That's so funny! But really if this doesn't work out I will miss my stepdaughter very very much. It is good to hear how a husband responds. My husband did say that he loves me, but mostly he said that he and SD "need" me right now. He didn't ask me anything about how I feel!

I just can't believe I didn't see this until now but over the weekend my friend said "Maybe he just used you to make his ex jealous." I said "do you really think the would marry me for that reason?" and she said maybe. Maybe she's right. I just don't want to be a part of his relationship with his ex anymore. As long as I didn't know anything about it it was fine but the second I started asking questions (and reading his email and talking to him about it) then it all fell apart. Pretty easily, actually.

ChiefGrownup's picture

FWIW, my first husband remarried quite quickly after our divorce. (No, not an affair). But he kept calling me, he'd have some excuse having to do with our mutual affairs that never seemed legitimate. From the way he acted and things he said, I got the feeling he married this woman, at least in part, to "get back at me" or something like that.

So, yeah, alwaysanonymous, it does happen. Probably not the sole reason, but can be true to some extent.

IslandGal's picture

Same with me - my ex got married real quick and then had 4 kids over 7 years. He invited my family to his wedding. He would text me constantly - at all hours and drove me crazy. Because I was single for 9 years, he assumed I was still in love with him, idiot. He has NEVER stopped letting me know he still loves me and would leave her for me in a minute. He used our boys to get info on me until they woke up and stopped. Funny that, because shortly after that, visits stopped.

Durng our marrige, he was controlling, possessive and had massive jealous issues. Drove me absolutely batshit. We were married for 12 years before I finally managed to get out for good.

Seriously, be warned - this man is not the one for you. He is still in love with his wife. Please, please focus on yourself and leave him - your soul mate is still out there and he will treat you the way you deserve to be treated. With respect, love and complete support.

learningallthetime's picture

When I split with ex, I was made to feel terrible. I was gas lighted throughout. My ex could not handle when I started school and he needed to be there for me, rather than the other way around.

My skids were told when I left that I was crazy and stories twisted around to them to make me the bad guy. My BS7 was very confused as he had that entire household talking about how evil I was, yet that was not who he saw. I sat him down and was honest: mom was sad and unhappy with dad, not necessarily because of dad, but because we were not a good match (you need to sugarcoat it!), and now mommy is happy and so we are happy on our own.

Interestingly, I still see the skids through their mom, we went kayaking a few weeks ago. All the kids are cool with me now. Ex-wife (mom of skids) said to start with the skids HATED me after I left, but now they say I am cool. As a SM, you are the bad guy. I was always gas lighted - and so would actually do the things he said I did - thus he was the hero and I was evil (as was BM). Now, I see the same pattern with his GF. Everything mean and bad is the woman, while he is just trying to keep everyone happy - where in fact I was a babysitter while he partied, and then he would turn up to be disney dad. Of course to the skids I was the evil disciplinarian and he was cool.

It has taken me two years to realize the "me" he told me I was, and gad lighted me into being, was never me, and is not me now. You need time and space to realize the toxicity...people will side with him because they saw the you he wanted them to see, but eventually they come around. I do not know a single person now who talks to my ex, I never needed to do anything, but they see the real me now, and the real him, and recognize who the problem really was. A friend actually contacted me today and said "thank God you got away, I always saw him as manipulative and poisonous, but I knew if I tried to talk to you you would have pushed me away". That is what these people do, isolate you, make you feel inferior and then use you for their own purpose. Stay away!

PolyMom's picture

I would just lay the truth out there for him to swallow:

"This is me protecting myself. From my perspective, you are still hung up on BM, you have no interest in allowing me to adopt SD. You want me around as the full-time nanny that you get bed rights to. You've made me feel like the other woman here, and I have every reason to believe you'll show up with BM one day, and throw me out. You've made it clear where your allegiance is, and no one in their right mind would tolerate this. You call it jealousy, I call it common sense. Trust me, there is no trait BM possesses that I covet. Expecting your husband to NOT have an emotional (and possibly more) affair is not jealousy, it's sanity."

Then I'd leave and never look back.

hereiam's picture

He didn't ask me anything about how I feel!

Because as far as he is concerned, your feelings are irrelevant.

YOU don't matter in any of this, it's all about him and his ex. Even his daughter seems to matter very little to him in the long run. You don't matter at all, except when it comes to fulfilling all of their needs.

I say it's time to fulfill YOUR needs.

Cadence's picture

Wow, ripley. I was fully on the "burn him on the stake" team until I read what you wrote. I could not empathize with him and how he could possibly not see what he was doing, but now I can.

But still, he may be beyond hope. He seems to be caught in loyalty limbo, not understanding that divorce also means that your loyalty that used to go to your ex is now reserved for your present relationship. Cordial and casually supportive, fine. But letting it take over his life and cause strife with the OP? No.

Also, he seems to be emotionally stunted and lacking in self-reflective abilities. He is stuck in his version of the events and can't take even one measly step toward OP to see how she is feeling. And someone who can't see his or her part in the conflict AND can't empathize with their partner is not a good relationship prospect in the long term. (Additionally, it is most likely the absence of these qualities that is leading him to be stuck between two women. He can't progress if he can't reflect on his actions and feelings. He can't truly love if he can't put himself in the shoes of the other person.)

I don't have high hopes for this working out unless this man starts wanting to meet his wife's needs: some independence in the form of a job for her, to feel like she and her husband are THE team and BM's involvement is limited to needed matters just pertaining to the SD, and to feel like when there is a choice between meeting her needs or BM's needs, he chooses OP without hesitation. These are some pretty basic things to want from your husband, and not at all out of line.

It seems that everyone - husband, BM, MIL, mother, friends - want OP to become invisible and deny her own needs so that she doesn't rock the boat, and so that the "original family" isn't inconvenienced. And that's just not how a successful remarriage works. Everyone has to adjust, not just the stepparent. (And BMs usually don't like this very much, so they require boundaries to force the change.)

Also, what is up with everyone insisting that the OP put the SD first, when none of them seem to be willing to do so? The husband is an emotionally absent workaholic, BM is "finding herself" and can't be bothered to be a parent to the child she brought into the world (and, frustratingly, the husband does not hold this against her in any way), MIL is annoyed at having to spend time with SD, yet they all want OP - who is not even related to this child - to drop her life and spirit in order to take care of SD. It's madness.

None of them actually put their money where their mouth is and step up to be good to SD. If the husband is so concerned about how she'll handle her mom's (possibly imaginary) health crisis, why isn't he spending more time with SD so she'll feel safe and secure? Why is BM going on vacation with her boyfriend if she's scared of cancer and dying instead of spending more time with her daughter? Why is MIL so put out at having to spend time with her grandchild, especially in "a time like this"? No one else is denying themselves anything in life in order to "be there for SD", yet they demand this level of sacrifice from OP. These people are nuts!

If I were OP, I'd keep moving forward toward formal separation and divorce proceedings. This may shake up the husband enough for him to finally find the courage to take a look at himself, but it may not. At this point, OP needs to put herself first, no matter what happens, and staying in this marriage as it currently is will not allow her to do that.

positivelyfourthstreet's picture

You're young you have your whole life ahead of you.

I have been with someone like your husband for fifteen years.
I have never come first. The main excuse was "She's SDs mother"
This one stepped out repeatedly abandoned SD for a while had an outside child and is now married to her affair partner. She was married she she and H met.
I suspected our marriage was meant to induce jealousy.

His former MIL actually had to explain proper boundaries to him a time or two.

He used to let her just walk into the house any time. He would dismantle our house to lend things to her. I live in the house they used to share.
I caused a small war because I wanted to take down a picture of the two of them that was in the living room.
I never felt like he was loyal to me.

I left many times over this and the unbearably sick mini wife situation he created.

I flat out told him if there's anything left over there here's your chance.

He always begged me to come back and I was stupid enough to do it.
I have wanted a house of our own forever. He refused to even consider moving until his XW told him he should buy a house. I wanted to do this for years but it wasn't a good idea until 8 Ball Barbie suggested it.

When he had cancer I was busy trying to get him settled in at home and order medical equipment. We just barely got home after running around for about twelve hours visiting one doctor after another.

His XW came to visit. She brought the outside child probably for a shield so I couldn't raise hell or so her husband wouldn't be suspicious.

I didn't know if he was going to live another week so I didn't bother to make an issue out of it.

She sat there in my living room and offered to care for him if it all got to be too much for me.
I felt like I'd been slapped in the face.

It was downhill ever since. He yelled at me in hospital at the chemo place at home wherever. I stepped back and just left him alone. I figured if he had enough energy to abuse me he would be just fine going to all his.chemo and whatnot without me.
I think the two of them have always been in contact. Why else could she feel so welcome to walk into my house and make such an offer unless HE made her feel that way?

I looked at his Facebook page and it does not mention any sort of relationship.

To an outsider it would look like he's still married to her because there is much communication with former in laws a who are still considered MIL and FIL.

I don't believe he has ever let go of her and likely never will. There was a time when I loved him enough to crawl over broken glass for him.

Now I can barely hide my sheer contempt for a man who married me and begged me to stay under false pretenses. I hate myself for not sticking to my gut feeling and wasting almost two decades of my life on someone who does not love me.

I want to slap him and call him a liar when he says I love you.

It's just words there is nothing to back it up aside from him not bagging up my shit and throwing it and me out of the house during one of his frequent meltdowns
I think he is very disappointed that I was the one who cared for him I was the one who tried to be a good wife never ran around and gave it my best effort

I think his anger boils down to feeling ripped off because he is with someone he doesn't really love.
He doesn't really want me to be a wife whenever I act like a normal wife would he can't stand it.

The only reason I'm here is so he can take it all out on me.
If you stay with this man my life or worse will be yours.

It's a long hard road full of heartache and regret.
You're young enough to find a man who really loves you. I wasted the last of my youth on this man who never really loved me.

Don't do what I did. Don't waste your youth on him

It will not get better that's a promise

SanAntonioSoccerMom's picture

You are only 25??? OMG get your ass out of that marriage and move on. Don't waste your youth in this relationship. You have many great years of life ahead of you. Seriously, know that.

Rags's picture

Even if my XW and I had spawned together I would not give a flying rat's ass if she contracted cancer and rotted away. I would be there for my kid (thankfully a hypothetical whore of an XW spawned kid) but as for his/her mother, I couldn't care less.

Once she ran of with geriatric Fortune 500 executive sugar/baby grandpa daddy she was a complete non priority in my life and I gave no shits at all about her except when she tried to fuck with me in which case I made it my priority to bare her ass in her community as the adulterous whore that she is and to destroy her financially. Once she moved out my XW meant dick for nothing to me.

I get your feelings on this.

Maybe this makes me an evil unforgiving man but I am fine with karma shitting on toxic people.

SanAntonioSoccerMom's picture

My husband's ex has been dying of cancer for almost a decade now. Breast cancer, liver cancer, kidney failure, lupus, blood cancer...I am sure I am forgetting whatever else she has claimed. Always a reason she could never pay child support. Never changed a thing. She was healthy enough to get breast implants, chain smoke and binge drink/ get felony DWIs. Waiting on pins and needles for the next health dilemma (not really).