You are here

My husband just called me and told me to come home, he has big news

alwaysanonymous's picture

I told him that I would be home in time for dinner but that I'm at the library getting my resume together. He was furious but said fine, he'll tell me over the phone. He said he just talked with his exwife and it turns out she has stage 2 breast cancer and it's spread to her lymph nodes. She's getting a scan later this week to see if it's spread anywhere else in her body. She has to have one breast removed, the other mastectomy is optional. She'll have radiation and maybe chemo. This is very different from what she told my husband last week. I feel bad for her. But I think my husband is off. What he basically just told me is that BM could die and so I need to stay at home with SD because I could be the only mother she has. I told him that didn't make sense to me and he asked me to please wait to make any decisions about getting a job until after his ex has finished her treatment. I said the two things were unrelated and he said I'm being selfish and not thinking about SD and didn't I love her etc etc. I said I do love SD but I'm not going to make life decisions based on BM. He was very angry with me and said he didn't know me any more he thought I was a caring person. I told him I am a caring person! Then he said he had to go into a meeting and he hung up. I don't even want to go home tonight but I have to pick up SD at daycare. I told him that BM doesn't seem very sick if she's on vacation with her boyfriend and he said that I was being a bitch and that maybe this was BM's last vacation ever, did I think of that? Sometimes he gets me so turned around I don't know what to think. I wish I could stay with my mom for a few days but she'll just tell me I'm making a mistake and that I should be there for my husband and SD. This whole thing just feels wrong to me.

fakemommy's picture

It isn't uncommon to have a double mastectomy even with stage 1 breast cancer, it is the best way to make sure you "get it all". I think your husband is probably lying to you to control your decisions. Tell him as a "mother" figure to SD, you need to show her the value of being an independent, hard-working woman, so getting a job is for her benefit. Wink

He's trying to control you, he has a fantasy about things in his head that is completely unfair to you. He's grasping at straws. I'm sorry. I don't have any advice other than do what you want for yourself.

Disneyfan's picture

I was just thinking the same thing. It sounds like the guy is still in love with his exwife.

OP, did the ex or your husband end their relationship?

byebyebirdie's picture

omg this reminds me of the julie roberts movie what was it called? "stepmom" ? like that is reality....

twopines's picture

>>>I need to stay at home with SD because I could be the only mother she has.<<<

Good grief he is being very dramatic. As her only father, why doesn't he stay at home? How very tiring this must be for you.

Cadence's picture

... I don't know. This story is getting far fetched. I'm starting to wonder if you're a troll.

Alas:

"He said he just talked with his exwife and it turns out she has stage 2 breast cancer and it's spread to her lymph nodes. She's getting a scan later this week to see if it's spread anywhere else in her body. She has to have one breast removed, the other mastectomy is optional. She'll have radiation and maybe chemo. This is very different from what she told my husband last week."

What? This is very suspicious. Either this is a coincidence or he's trying to make you feel guilty.

Okay, so this is SD's only mother. Why doesn't SD's only mother see SD more than a few days a month? Oh, that's right. Because she doesn't WANT TO see her daughter. She's content to sit back and let someone else raise her daughter, while staying entwined in her ex-husband's life, as if she is relevant or calling any shots. If she wants to be that involved, she should be involved directly with her daughter. She could start by, you know, seeing her more.

But at the same time, your DH acts like BM's every move is so important to your lives. He still hasn't figured out hat life after divorce doesn't continue to revolve around someone you were once married to. It revolves around your current relationship.

So how does BM's course of treatment affect anything other than a few days a month, exactly? Other than a general worry about SD possibly losing her mother, how does any of this affect you or your DH? It doesn't. He's acting like everyone needs to pause and place BM's needs first. And while I'm sorry for her and wish her the best, BM's needs are irrelevant to your household and are most certainly irrelevant to your relationship with your husband.

By the way, as for you being the "only mother SD will have", you're not her mother. If you and DH divorce, you have zero rights to her. That's another reason not to kill yourself to take care of someone else's kid.

Keep working on that resume.

Easylikesundaymornin's picture

I think this is a case of worse case scenario !

I think everyone is jumping the gun ~ making decisions at this point is ludacrious. You truly don't know what she is up against. Sure age is scared n it is scary but until she actual goes through things you don't know.

Your stance should be supportive of him n SD's well being BUT the woman is alive n breathing. I am should you will be supportive but you have no idea what you are up against yet. Still doesn't mean you can't get a job for yourself n make your sd life as normal as possible.

I would just take your view right now as to do what is best for the SD n only her.

I would use this website to state stuff like " she's sick enough to go on vacation with the bf" to here n only here. You don't want Karma to bite you in the ass.

alwaysanonymous's picture

I agree that the timing is suspicious. What makes me feel weird is that maybe he called his exwife to tell her that I'm fed up and she responded with her much more serious diagnosis. That seems fishy to me. I used to like the thought that I was SD's real mom since BM isn't around but now it doesn't feel right. I think I'm being used. I want to be a mom so bad and once I had my hysterectomy I thought I'd never be a mom so meeting my husband was so wonderful but now I don't know. I love him and I love my stepdaughter but I don't want to be in a situation like this but I married him and said my vows for better or for worse. I just don't want to have a life where I'm running around because of his ex.

moeilijk's picture

You know for better or for worse is supposed to be when things are better or worse TOGETHER, right? Like, circumstances OUTSIDE of your marriage.

'Cause he's got it made right now and you're miserable. That's better for him and worse for you. Not the way it's supposed to go!

Cadence's picture

WTF - He's also now confiding in BM about your marital problems?! I would be so pissed off at this point that I would be D.O.N.E.

You don't even seem to be noticing that or reacting to it, but your husband just massively betrayed you! The inner workings of your marriage are absolutely none of BM's business.

"I married him and said my vows for better or for worse."

Yeah, and he vowed to love, honor and respect you, but apparently his vows only meant something when they were the ones he said to BM.

Please don't be naive here. Vows mean something when you are with someone who wants to treat you right and wants to fight to make your relationship better. They mean something when someone is standing by your side. Your husband is not by your side, he's by BM's side. This is an emotional affair, and you can't stick to vows when there is infidelity involved.

(I'm still somewhat suspecting that you're a BM on a creative writing exercise expedition. The story just gets more and more outlandish, and I find it incredibly hard to believe that someone who was real would overlook the part where her husband just confided her inner struggles to his ex wife.)

QueenBeau's picture

sooooo, you need to say home every single day in case SD's BM, who sees her a couple days a month, dies?

Tell him you'll take a couple days a month off to spend with SD to fill her BM's role if she dies.

He's ridiculous.

If he keeps talking sh*T, tell him you're going to do one thing for YOU to help better your life & if he doesn't like it?

"He's just too old to understand."

QueenBeau's picture

So I just now realized who you were, the 25 year old who's DH had quit their job to stay home & take care of SD. Who's BM flipped because you helped SD make a mothers day gift. Her flipping out about your birthday plans with SD etc.

Sounds like a hot mess, & now with him acting like this? I'd get away fast.

You're 25. You aren't some old maid. He lied to you about adoption etc. You are an extension of him & BM's family. He will only adopt with you if BM says it's ok, or dies. Do you want your future to depend on BM?

QueenBeau's picture

exactly it just grinds my gears because OP is 25. I'm 24 & though I pregnant now, even if I couldn't have children I would still know my worth. I'm carrying my DH's child & if he got uppity & told me I was 'too young' to understand something? I would kick his behind out of the house.

How can you be too young to have a standard conversation about feelings with this man, but somehow not too young to raise his child & have sex with him?

UGH I just hate when men try to take advantage of women because of our age or self esteem.

missflo's picture

All of this!!!
You're old enough to take vows. Old enough to be expected to put YOUR life on hold to raise THEIR child, but not old enough to understand?
I'd be seriously concerned that BM is exaggerating the whole thing. Only a few weeks ago it was a precancerous watch and wait situation. Now you're the only mother this child is going to have??
To my mind, a marriage is a joint path, with 2 travelers. You CANNOT be expected to follow their path in your marriage.
If you did what he wants, I can virtually guarantee you will grow to resent the hell out of all 3 of them, DH, BM & SD.
To paraphrase Princess Diana, There are 3 people in this marriage. Its just too crowded.

QueenBeau's picture

"You cannot live depending on a man. As you can see, this is what it gets you......nothing. No consideration. No nothing. "

I agree. It seems that OP's DH is treating her like his & BM's (abused) teenage daughter that babysits & does what they say. & has to live her life according to what is best for them.

QueenBeau's picture

It just pisses me off.

& I am not saying end your marriage & walk out (I may or may not have said that earlier in my rage lol). I'm saying talk to him, let him know "I understand we don't agree, but I am getting a job & will be copied on all emails between you & BM because I believe it is what is best for SD."

If he flips & tries to walk out? Or even put you out? Take it as a blessing & move on to a healthier relationship.

If he straightens up? Look into counseling to keep this crap from happening again.

I suspect if DH starts copying you on all emails to BM, she will quit confiding in him.

Cadence's picture

Seriously. Either:

1) We've got a bored BM on a creative writing expedition

2) Her husband is lying to her to get her back to being loyal and under his control

3) BM is lying and has been from the beginning.

My money is on #s 1 or 3.

Some things aren't adding up about her posts, so that's why I suspect a troll. And the third is because in one of her first threads, someone was telling her that the BM was acting pretty BPD. And lying about having cancer, which suddenly gets more serious at a very convenient time (when BM has been made aware that she's succeeded in creating fractures in alwaysanonymous' marriage) is a very BPD thing to do.

Rags's picture

Your DH is reacting and not thinking. I can understand feeling protective of an X, particularly one who is the mother of my child. (Hypothetical situation for me). However, he is married to you and his wife will very likely survive.

Start your new career and you and DH work through his irrational emotion over this issue.

If BM does not survive then you both will have a whole different situation to deal with. You can deal with that if it happens.

IMHO of course.

Cadence's picture

> However, he is married to you and his wife will very likely survive.

His "wife", Rags?

See, it's catching. Her husband isn't aware that his ex-wife is his ex-wife, either.

Cadence's picture

It happened to me too, which is why it's funny to me. Dark humor, I guess.

Back in some darker times, SO and I were in counseling. We were there mainly for issues surrounding his nutbag ex-wife. For a few sessions our counselor could not stop accidentally calling me his ex-wife's name, or referring to her as his "wife". She'd apologize profusely each time she said it, but it persisted.

It got so bad that I led off another session by telling the counselor how it was making me feel. She apologized and it hasn't happened again. But geez.

Frustr8d1's picture

HA!! Me too. I was a compassionate person long long ago but after so many ridiculous lies and bullshit from BM I just don't feel sorry for her anymore. She went on a desperate pathetic attempt to force DH on the phone by claiming she had breast cancer. When that didn't work, she claimed SD5 had stomach ulcers. When that didn't work, she claimed SD5 had severe constipation. When that didn't work, she claimed SD had breathing problems. When that didn't work, she claimed SD had heart failure.

Can you say MUNCHAUSEN BY PROXY SYNDROME??

peacemaker's picture

My DH's ex had the big C for 12 years...

The false guilt trip your DH is trying to put on you is WRONG on so many levels...If you don't do this it means this...and if you don't do that it means that ...that is such BS...he is manipulating and bullying you into doing what HE wants you to do to serve his undealt with failed first marriage issues that he is still serving out of his own undealt with guilt...he is putting his issues off on you...without considering your own individual feelings and opinions and consideration for your freedom to choose for yourself how you want to live your life..."You are the only mother she will have?????? What???? that is such BS....She only has one mother and you cannot replace her if something happens to her or not...that is reality...

You DH cannot play God in this situation...I see this happen so many times that the stepmom loses her individual identity (which is your God-given right by the way),,,only to serve a broken family system that failed miserably the first time and he or she never learned how to function properly so they suck you into their dysfunctional way of thinking and cohurse you into their toxic culture only to rob you of your true identity and prevent you from becoming everything you were created to be...you get robbed because you end up buying into the BS to make everyone happy...or to keep the peace...or to make it work....welcome to a life of regret and missed opportunity because you handed your destiny over to someone who hasn't dealt with their own baggage yet...Think hard or see a counselor before you let him use the "I'm going to be pissed off if you don't do what I want you to card"...If he gets pissed that is his problem...not yours...It's a slow fade when you give your heart away...but it bites big time when you reflect back years later on what you gave up of your individual self to make them all happy...It won't work in the end because you are not responsible for the happiness of someone else...they are still miserable in the end... and you lose big time because the one thing we can't get back is time....

Orange County Ca's picture

It wouldn't surprise me if the doctors and then the BM downplayed the cancer when first discovered. Nobody wants to scare everyone only to find out later its acne. I take it at face value because I've been through a escalating cancer scare.

BUT he's sure milking it for all its worth. I'm beginning to wonder who he's emotionally married to? Seriously I'm beginning to think that you're a wonderful chauffeur, cook, maid and sex partner but the love of his life isn't you. Plus you work cheap.

Speaking of work go and get that job. Even if you are inclined to become a stay at home step-mother you can always quit when the time is appropriate. Passing over the career step of a lifetime for something that maybe just might or might not happen in a year or two is silly. YOU'RE to put your life on hold to see how SHE makes out? Lets get real.

You are the low man on the totem pole in this relationship. You get to do all the work and get none of the credit. I'd tell him straight out that you're going for the job and you're going to continue your career regardless of the outcome of this crises. I'd like you to re-consider your relationship. If you can get him to quit verbally abusing you with guilt trips it might be worth staying around. Only you can see the big picture.

Let me make it crystal clear. Getting and keeping a job does not make you anything negative it's his kid and his problem. There is no need for a stay-at-home mother now and there will not be one after the BM dies, if she does. Any attempt on any woman's part to replace Mommy is going to be severely rebuffed by the kid anyway so don't even think about trying. You go for that job and nicely tell him in no uncertain terms that you're living your life and not devoting it to anyone's kids.

I think you're little more than a aide-de-camp in this relationship.