You are here

How do you deal with a poorly behaved SD

georgina29's picture

SD is 6 and is pretty poorly behaved. At dinner she never wants what she gets so daddy makes her something else on top of what she has. She doesnt use her utensils and throws food onto table and floor. She will purposely throw things on floor and see if daddy will pick them up. She has throw things at peoples heads and hit them many times then cries and says sorry. She throws tanturms suitable for a toddler often and says mean things to others. She refuses to get herself water and snack so daddy gets it for her. How do you deal with this sort of behavior when DH doesnt address it.

tog redux's picture

He needs to address it.  I wouldn't take on that task, I'd refuse to eat with her or near her.  He can manage her and I'll go eat elsewhere.

ndc's picture

Honestly, I don't think there's much you can do about SD's behavior. If Daddy won't address it, it's unlikely he'll back you up if you try.  The only thing you can do is impose consequences on Daddy for not parenting his child. Whether that is walking away or something less depends on whether you can live long-term with an ill behaved SD, because it will only get worse if Daddy doesn't step up and parent appropriately.

twoviewpoints's picture

I'm trying to picture a six year old tossing food at the table and pitching it on the floor so Daddy can play fetch it.

This kid is six. How does she manage to eat in the Cafeteria during lunch at school? What happens when SD tosses one of her hissy fits during class? 

Because if she isn't doing these things at school, then yes, she definitely knows better and this is a power control thing between solely her and her father. So far, kid is winning. 

I wouldn't bother me if Dad wants to cater to kid at meals as far as cooking her 'special' food. Not as log as it were him paying for the 'special' meals, preparing them himself and cleaning up his mess afterwards. Hey he wants to play personal chef, meh, let him.

But yeah, like mentioned mentioned above already by Tog, no way would I it and try to have a meal with flying food nor unruly children at the dining table. I'm not sure if I would just leave the table to eat elsewhere or insist the little pig to be served on a tray over a plastic table cover laid out on the floor underneath the tray in the kitchen all by her lonesome.Either way, the ki would not be dining with me.

But again with the drinks and fetching snacks or whatever for the kid, meh. If the fool wants to be his child's personal chef and servant, as long as I'm not expected to jump to kid's tune..... but I think I would lose interest in a man who sole purpose in life i to kiss his kid's behind. Nothing very romantic in that. 

He's a weak and lousy parent who completely enables this behavior in his daughter. Why blame her? She's just doing what he allows and encourages. 

Harry's picture

Your SO is the problem, He not parenting his child, He let’s get away with this crap, It’s all on him. Nothing you can do if he continues this madness.