You are here

Health Insurance and the State

Redsonya's picture

BM signed an agreement that was filed with the court that states that I will provide insurance for the skids as long as I choose to and if I no longer make it available, she and DH will come to an agreement to use her policy or get an but BM has a policy that she just cancelled through her work.

I am not providing insurance because she has made it so difficult. So now she is saying that her only option is to use Medi-cal because she can't afford insurance (yep - $12 an hour, part time makes affording anything difficult). She is claiming that if I don't add them to my policy, it will just make things harder for DH because the county will come after him for reimbursement on the Medi-cal. True or her just trying to use threats?

dreamingofhappiness's picture

I am not sure what state you live in, but here in Ohio, that is true to a degree... In Ohio BIO Parents are only the legal ones responsible to health insurance. My as a step parent am not obligated under any guideline, regulations nothing to carry health insurance on my step kids.

And Yes, my husband must reimburse the the state for state health insurance the BM has obtained and maintained even when health coverage was available through my husbands job...