You are here

How are Health Insurance Orders made?

Redsonya's picture

This is a continuation of my post this morning.

I am not going to provide insurance for the skids. I've had enough of dealing with BM and she doesn't even have the cards yet.

BM filed a claim with child support services (in CA). The information that they are requesting includes info on insurance to decide who is going to provide it. DH is insured under my policy and is self employed so doesn't have group insurance available to him through his employer. BM has insurance available but its $600 a month. BM wants to put the kids on Medi-cal because she can't afford insurance and has told us that if not, she is certain that the courts will order DH to insure the kids on his own (because she is totally entitled and just assumes since she birthed them, she gets to work part time have DH/the public pay to raise them).

Luckily for us the judge already told BM that both parents are required to equally share in providing medical coverage so DH won't be stuck with paying everything I don't think. What I am hoping is that DH pays half of the kids share of BM's coverage. If her coverage is $600 a month for her and two kids, it would be $400 for the two kids share and therefore, $200 for DH's share of that. What I wouldn't want is for DH to be forced to provide insurance so that he either insures them through me (we are going to tell them insurance is not available from me) or buy an independant policy. If BM is using DH's policy, I am sure she won't pay anything she agrees to. If its her policy, she will (and just won't get the skids braces or anything else costly, but not my problem).

Does anyone know how this works?

tbloanlady's picture

MY husband is self employed also so has no insurance available to him. His ex does have insurance available & has the kids on her policy. There is a formula used to calculate child support based on who is paying for insurance. I have our family covered on my plan & she has suggested to courts that I put the kids on my plan but I refuse to because she does not want to give him credit for the insurance which would make the child support lower, so guess what, she gets to continue paying for it & the judge won't make me put them on my plan.

Redsonya's picture

Right - my understanding is that because its a stepparent providing the insurance and my income isn't counted toward CS, we wouldn't get a deduction in CS even if we insure them. The judge took BM's $600 a month and our $400 a month in insurance premiums into account when she ordered support.

I guess my question is if DH doesn't have group insurance available and BM does, will they make her insure them and DH pays part of the premium? That seems like the case from the info I've read, but wanted to see what others have had to do.

simifan's picture

BM is supposed to provide health coverage & gets credit from CS to do so. We are custodial & have yet to see a card or any other info on it.

my.kids.mom's picture

More than likely, the $600 she pays each month is not split evenly between her and the skids. Usually the adult is a bigger chunk and the kids are cheaper. FWIW, I'm self-employed and have purchased my own insurance and it's nowhere near $600. But we hardly go to the dr either. Insurance was meant to prevent bankruptcy, not cover every sniffle and cough. I believe my policy was less than $200 for two kids and I.

youngmama1b1g's picture

I've seen all kinds of stipulations, so it boils down to whats in the Support Order. I know most list the percentage the parents pay on medical expenses after insurance- typically giving who evers providing insurance the smaller percent.

My husband's work got a letter from the state saying "this employee is responsible for providing insurance for his minor effective immediately". He wasn't even out of his probation period to have insurance at the time. When he did get insurance- he happily covered SS. Didnt cost anything additional for one more kid, in addition to our BD.
BM continued to use public welfare option because she did not work. I was so scared the state was going to come after husband to recoop all the money she was getting for insurance because he was supposed to cover SS and she continued to use public money.
Recently she lost the public welfare, so now she cares about what coverage is...