You are here

Does your SO ask

Jcksjj's picture

Poll: does your SO check with you before okaying people to come visit.

In relation to this: my lovely MIL will be here this weekend. Yay.

tog redux's picture

Well - not always.  If he knows we aren't doing anything, he might say, "So and so is coming over later."  I'm OK with that.  

Oh, if it was for the WEEKEND? Hell yes, he would. 

ESMOD's picture

This^^^

I mean, I might be super tempted to say.. "ooooh no.. I am so sorry I will miss her.  I thought I told you, I'm heading to the beach/mountain/city/country for a few days this weekend...just a little me time.. I didn't tell you in advance? oh..shoot.. I will have to remind myself to do that in the future... have fun with your mom"

justmakingthebest's picture

I wouldn't say he "asks" me. 

More like "Do we have plans this weekend, I want to have ____ over/meet to go out, etc?"

When it comes to family it is more informative "My parents are coming over for Dinner Saturday" or in the case of my our of state in-laws "I invited my mom to come out for Thanksgiving weekend". We are both super close to our family and in-laws though, so there is never an issue.

Rags's picture

Yep, we both check with the other before springing visitors.

In fact, I am the one who tends to suggest that we fly my MIL out for a visit, or a favorite cousin, or a friend from my DW's home.

If my parents indicate that they want to visit, my bride gets all kinds of excited and is the first one to tell them to come on down.

ITB2012's picture

He didn't used to until it had to be made clear that this was something people do, they check with each other.

RisingtheWave80's picture

If I am expected to entertain, cook-clean and be social for a visit he better damn ask. I am not big on having people in my home outside of times that I want people in my home. I like my space to be free from others that don't live there. I would say "perhaps your mom can stay in an area hotel"