You are here

Poll: how long would you wait/did you wait for a proposal?

theoutsider's picture

This is kind of for the women of the site,... But mem feel free to chime in with your views,...

How long did you wait for a man to propose?

When did you walk away from a boyfriend, after how long did you realize he would never marry you?

How long do you think is too long to wait for a proposal?

I'm at the end and ready to walk away,...
He has talked a big game but it is not "official",... just want to hear others life experiences,...

Yosemite's picture

Well officially it was 5 years before we got engaged. Although he did ask me several times prior to that and I did not want to get married.
Personally I think this is one of those things that everyone has to go with their own feelings on. If you are starting to resent the fact that he has not proposed, you need to let him know that before it poisons your relationship.

Thirdtimesthecharm's picture

We were engaged weeks after we met. Six months later, we weren't. The next four years were discussions of marriage, and "yes, I want to spend the rest of my life with you" from him.
Finally, one day I sat him down and said that I had picked a date that I would leave the house. Not necessarily the relationship, but potentially that, too. It was up to him what he wanted to do. If he wanted to marry me before I left, he had to make it happen.
The next day he took me to the courthouse to get our marriage license and two weeks later he had arranged a very small, basic wedding.
He admitted to me later that without the ultimatum he would have kept stringing me along. Marriage scared him too much.

Shaman29's picture

My DH proposed a year after we started dating. In hindsight, it would have been better to keep him at an arms length until after the crap with his ex died down. Or until after his kid gets out of high school. The drama he, his kid and his ex created in my life was not worth the stress or mental/emotional/physical health issues I've had to deal with since we married.

Personally.....if I could go back in time, I would not have married my DH. I love him very much but I don't feel the same way about him that I did before we were married. When he allowed his kid to treat me like s**t, it changed everything for me.

Kes's picture

It was 7 years after we met that DH proposed to me. I was not expecting it at all, as he'd frequently said he'd been scared off marriage by his awful experiences with NPD BM. I would have been happy to live together always, after all I was in my 40s and didn't want any more children. But I said yes, and we got married in 2009.

dragonfly5's picture

About 6 months, my DH asked me to marry him. I reminded him that I told him I was probably not ever going to get married again. I was not interested in marriage. And I would not live together.

It took me 4 1/2 yr before I finally said yes. I have a child, has children, I did not see the purpose of marriage for me at that time. If I wanted more children that would be a totally different scenario.

I think if you are looking for a commitment and he is not willing, it probably will not move that direction, and do you really want to spend your life with someone who you will feel like you forced into marring you?

I was honest from day one with my now DH, that I did not plan on marrying. So he knew it might not ever happen for us. But he wanted to be with me. He wanted us so he took what I could give him at the time, hoping someday I would change my mind. It took me a while but I am very happy that I married him Smile

hereiam's picture

In your situation, it is not just that he has not proposed, it is that he makes up every excuse under the sun to not make it official.

You guys have talked about it, he has the ring, you've moved into your new house. What's the problem? (that's what I would be asking him)

Do as Echo suggested and propose to him and see what happens.

Disneyfan's picture

THIS

His actions are screaming "I DON'T WANT TO GET MARRIED!!!

You have to believe what he's showing you. Walk away. That is the only way you'll be able to find a man who wants to marry you.

Once you find him, you won't have to beg, plead, cry...to get him to pop the question.

Sunflower1's picture

We had a date set at one year. The official proposal came about two months later, we are getting married in february. I did date a man for two years who talked the talk but couldn't walk the walk, so I walked ( boy that surprised him). I think, especially after you're older and have lived together you both know whether or not you want to see it through. I'm glad things didn't work out with the other guy, I don't want to be with someone who would waffle on being with me, and FDH and I get each other, communicate well and have great chemistry. My ex husband proposed at nine months( I was very young, 21, and would have known now we weren't right for each other.)

simifan's picture

My rule was always Two years .... no ring, no date for the wedding ...see ya. I was always very upfront about it. I think DH and I discussed it on like our 3-4 date. DH proposed 10 months after we met. We married 6 months later.

Steppin's picture

He proposed almost exactly a year after we met. And we got married almost a year later. So, close to 2 years of knowing each other. The proposal was a total (and welcome) surprise. I don't know if I would have gotten impatient if he had waited a long time -- I kind of doubt it. I was never one of those girls who dreamed about her wedding day.
Anyway, I was 20 when we met, 21 when we got engaged, 22 when we married. 22 when we had our first son, and barely 24 when we had our second son. Been together 6 years, married for four! Wouldn't change a thing Smile

sbm014's picture

DH proposed at about 10months - mind you it took 8 months for BM to sign the final divorce decree as we met right before the final court hearing (he had been moved out for close to 9/10months when we met).

DH and I are common law married currently and I am content with that - I know many have beef with common law but in our situation it is what works the best. I personally love having my own last name, and there is complications to us having a real wedding including the fact DH would love to talk to my blood father before we would have a ceremony and all that but my father is somewhat estranged at this point as he refuses to talk to not only me but most of the family due to some legal issues he got himself in.

I would say it really depends on the situation but the thing is you shouldn't have to push it.