You are here

Calling people with experience with ADHD. Either Personally or professionally

CalliMay09's picture

If a teen is tired on school mornings is this a reason the Psychiatrist would increase ADHD medication in the morning??

SS takes ADHD medication. DH missed SS's last therapy appointment where the doctor increased SS's ADHD medication for some reason. DH asked SS why and SS told DH it's because he's tired in the mornings. Not sure if SS is telling the truth. No DH can't ask BM as she won't tell him and the dr is on vacation for the next two weeks. 

So has anyone heard of ADHD medication being increased for this reason? Also what are some common reasons ADHD medication is increased?

Wicked stepmo.'s picture

Not usually, typically Drs will address any sleep issues, vitamin D deficiency before increasing medication. Typically the medication is only increased to reach a thetaputic level then again as the child grows and gains weight to maintain that level.

It's not uncommon for kids on ADHD meds to have trouble falling asleep because it's a stimulant. 

tog redux's picture

I don't think anyone can say based on what your SS said. Why doesn't your DH call the doctor instead of getting upset about what might no be an accurate report?

tog redux's picture

Then he will have to wait - in my professional experience, no, that isn't a reason to increase ADHD meds, but I'm highly skeptical that's the actual reason it was done. It was most likely done because of the kid's response to the meds, or lack thereof, and the tired issue is just something else they discussed.