You are here

Anyone know how to stop child support withholding for your ex in Michigan?

growing's picture

We're agreeing to stop cs, and share responsibilities. I need to see if I can get FOC to cancel the withholding on his paychecks. I don't have any idea how to do this, if it's possible, and don't want to be met with them trying to talk me out of it, the decision has been made....

byebyebirdie's picture

i just sent them a fax and requested that they stop it. i live in michigan and that was all i had to do when me and my ex decided to handle support out side of the FOC. i did not close my case with them i just suspended the support and i get a notice from FOC every couple of years asking me if i want to review the order.

tabby yabba do's picture

When I tried to have exHs CS reduced after our oldest child turned 18 (midwest state), I was told the courts needed both my exH AND *my* financial records before a reduction would be considered. Even though I was not, and had never been, on any type of state aid, and I (the receiver of CS) was making the request to reduce it. (Our divorce decree was written so that CS remained in full effect until the youngest child turned 18. Neither my exH or I realized that error until the oldest turned 18 and CS wasn't automatically reduced.) Courts didn't care what I wanted to do, or what I agreed to do. They insisted I would have had to reveal the previous 24 months of all financial records (taxes, bank statements, etc.) as well as take days off of work to file paperwork and set up a court date in front of a judge. And in all likelihood, a judge probably would have decided I should get an increase because I'd never had an increase in the previous 14 years. Screw that. I wasn't going to put that decision in someone else's hands.

My exH and I agreed to leave CS in place, and I sent my exH a personal check every month to cover the cost of the reduction.

Patsy's picture

I love you tabby! That was so great of you to do that! I would hope that I would do the same.