DH Got a Call from SS20 After About 5 Years of PAS/No Contact
I swear, the universe has gone crazy. Yesterday morning, my grandmother had her second stroke (the first one was earlier this year). She'd made a wonderful recovery, and now this. The second one was worse and it's affected the other side of her body, which had been the good side. She's been in the ICU since and is unresponsive. It's all a waiting game from here on out, hence my blog hogging. Hospital waiting rooms are the worst.
On the same day, SS called DH and left a message on his phone wishing him a Merry Christmas and asking him to call when he can. HUH?? It's been- what?- five years of radio silence? At least four. Hell, I can't think straight. But it's been a long time. We heard nothing from him other than two texts: one asking for his PlayStation and one basically brating DH for being a crappy parent. (The second one was written exactly like BM speaks, but I digress).
So, why now? We've had lots of down time to think of all the possibilities:
1. Maybe, just maybe, now that he's an adult (at least chronologically) SS is seeing the light. We never thought this would happen, at least not for many, many years, but maybe? I truly hope this is the case, for DH as well as for SS. I'm all for them reconnecting. If that includes me, great. If not, fine. But they need it. It'll be a slow process and there's lots of damage to repair, but it can be done with time if SS is really sincere is wanting to reconnect.
2. He needs something. Now that he's been out of school a couple years, maybe BM's pushing him to move out. We have no idea what's going on with him, whether he's in college or working or what, but he's not moving in with us and he's not getting a penny from us. That's definite.
3. Christmas gift grab? Highly doubtful. He's never been a greedy kid, and he hasn't reached out in these past few years around Christmas time of his birthday, so I don't think it's that.
4. BM encouraged him to reach out to try to stir up S&^%. A definite possibility. I'm sure she'd bored now that DH is out of her life and she can't harass him.
5. DH's parents encouraged SS to reach out. We hope so. Maybe they're seeing what it's like not having their son in their life, and are encouraging some relationship repair. It's a possibility. However, it's also possible that MIL or FIL are simply using SS to relay a message.
DH is going to call SS back when he's on his lunch break today. Stay tuned.
And send prayers/good juju/positive thoughts. Everything is just a hot mess right now and DH and I are in a tailspin.