OT - Thankful Thursday
Happy Winter Solstice, STalkers! Winter officially begins at 10:27 PM EST tonight. No white Christmas for this snow lover. The temperature on Christmas Eve will be almost 50° F. That's shorts weather! So much for that thick, fluffy sweater I'd planned to wear. A lightweight, long-sleeved shirt and Chucks without socks will be this Finn's holiday attire.
The holiday season can be a stressful and/or depressing time for some. Step hell can really add to the negative. It might be helpful to take a few minutes to think about the positives in your life. I am thankful for:
- Waking up this morning. I've been dealing with some health issues lately and going through some cardiology tests. The last few weeks have me contemplating my mortality. And while I know I have more days behind me than ahead, I'm hoping I have years. But I woke up this morning, fully functional (despite no coffee!)
- My Dad, my first rock. 93yo and still spouting words of wisdom. He's the best person I've ever known and my hero. If I can be even half the man he is, I'm doing a hella good job.
- My DH, and second rock. Like Dad, DH is steady as the day is long. He's the only one who knows about my health issues and had simply been 110% unwavering in his solidity. I am beyond blessed to have these two amazing men in my life.
- My job. It's not easy having King Pita for a boss. The bottom line is he is a nice man. A dipshidiot at times, and has his finger in too many pies, but he means well and is genuinely nice. I love what I do, am good at it, and like most of my coworkers - all of which are key.
- I have a solid roof over my head, a good vehicle, and food to eat. I have so many blessings that others do not.
- You. Yes, you. StepTalk is another family to me. We laugh together, cry together, go through good times and bad. When one of us is down, there is always someone here to console, speak words of wisdom (even when it's a little verbal butt kicking that we need), recommend ways to get help, and send a much-needed virtual hug. Thank you.
And I am truly thankful for that morning a couple months ago when I woke up different. I couldn't explain it, but I had such a sense of serenity. Scrolling instagram a bit later, I happened upon a meme that uncannily described it to a T...
One morning she woke up different. Done with trying to figure out who was with her, against her, or walking down the middle because they didn’t have the guts to pick a side. She was done with anything that didn’t bring her peace. She realized that opinions were a dime a dozen, validation was for parking, and loyalty wasn’t a word but a lifestyle. It was this day that her life changed. And not because of a man or a job but because she realized that life is way too short to leave the key to your happiness in someone else’s pocket.
ETA: And a dear friend just emailed that same meme to me just now (20 minutes after I posted). What are the odds?!
I hope all of you have a safe and happy holiday season and that any stress factors are minimal.
Hauskaa Joulua ja onnellista uutta vuotta!!!