You are here

Would this be terrible?

ICanMakeIt's picture

MY DH has two children 16 and 12. He took my SS to his first concert a couple years ago. The SD hasn't been to one yet.

We won't be able to see kids (they live in another state) this year for Tgiving (work commitment for DH) this will be first time he has ever had to forfeit any time. We will see them a few weeks later at Xmas.

SD Bday is near Tgiving.

Would it be wrong of DH to get tickets for her b'day to her favorite artist (the tour date is early next year) and only have her that weekend (it would be in a 3rd state not ours or theirs)?

Hope that makes sense.

ICanMakeIt's picture

the bad part being that SS is not going to the concert or seeing dad the extra weekend next year ....they'll both see dad for Xmas.

NotThatTypical's picture

As long as the mother is ok with the change of time I don't think there is a single issue. Even in "normal" families parents should do one on one activities with their children. That doesn't change just because there is limited contact. Now of course DH should try to spend some time at the start or end of the trip with the other child assuming he's going to the do pick up in near their home. Even if it's just quick burger to catch up.

ESMOD's picture

sd is getting the concert tix for her birthday.. not for missing the time with him.. it's not unequal.

Rags's picture

If BM does not play games and pull access for the concert it would not be horrible.

However, the older sib may take issue with his 12yo sister being treated as if she were 16.

Oldest sibs often watch as younger sibs get experiences and priveledges that the older sib did not get until later.  e.g. a car at 16 instead of 18/19.   A credit card that the oldest sib never got.  Etc....

While things certainly change as far as resources and situations are concerned some older sibs struggle with significant differences in their own experiences and the experiences of younger sibs.

Not that DH should deny the younger kid.

It is just something to keep in mind.