You are here

Question regarding CS review

ICanMakeIt's picture
Forums: 

My DH and his ex have not had a CS review since everything was first settled in the divorce. It's been a good while.

I suspect 2021 it is coming but since he has not been through one, I was wondering if anyone could give us an idea of what infomration will be needed. I would like to be prepared as possible.

It would just be a normal review other than the Child Care credit will be expiring (we are in the U.S.) the state his CS is through lists childcare amount separate but included in the amount of CS until kids are 12 years of age. That amount will go away and its a significant amount, hence I expect the review to happen if not automatically, at BM's request. 

TIA for any advice, prep you can offer. 

tog redux's picture

It depends on your state laws. Here, they can request a review every 3 years or if they believe the other person's income has gone up more than 15%.  Other states they are automatic. You'd be better off googling the child support laws in Michigan.

Sotheysay's picture

When we did it  DH had to turn in tax returns for 2 or three  years  sorry can't remember exactly this was just as the pandemic was hitting. and his last three pay stubs though we put in more. Then there was a bunch of other paperwork to fill out but those were the main two things  I am from michigan and from the other response it seems you might be too

justmakingthebest's picture

In VA you need to request it but they can be done as often as every 6 months. As long as there is a significant change in one person's income. I asked the DSCE lady what that meant and she said any change over 5% or $50 whichever is LESS. 

I have only done 2 reviews in 12 years with my ex. One when full day daycare stopped and one when before and after school care stopped. Both were reductions for my ex- and deserved! We agreed this last time to a lower amount that was ordered and even though he got a large raise right after the hearing, I am not going for "more". 

Harry's picture

At some age child care stops .  Then it's what on CO.  He pays insurance, medical, but that's on BM 

His tax information.  What he makes. 

Rags's picture

SpermLand allows for a CS review every two years at the initiation of either party.  In our case there was no CS review for 9 years.  I finally got my DW to initiate a review after I was RIF'd from my highly compensated position during the Semiconductor industry downturn.  

It was simple. She requested a CS review, the DA's office took it from there. Sending out information requests to both parties.

Basically, prior year tax returns, current pay stubs, current/recent account statements for all banks, savings, investment accounts that the CP or NCP are listed on, monthly rent/mortgage, child care costs, maybe etc....  This includes joint accounts between the BioParent and their current partner.

Some jurisdictions will require full financial information on a SParent. Even if SParents are not a party to the case.  In the case of SPermLand courts, I had to provide full disclosure of my financials, income, etc.... though SParent income/assets were not allowed to be considered in setting CS.  What this information was used for was establishing an income reduction credit for the NCP so that "the (NCP) is not penalized by having to provide for an artificial standard of living for the child" due to a SParent being a high earner while the NCP is not a high earner.

In our case, the Spermidiot was granted the highest possible income reduction credit of $1000/mo which really made no discernable difference in his CS obligation.  This reduced the maximum possible CS award by $50/mo.  So, a lot of bullshit for just about nothing that accomplished little more than pissing me off that he got any benefit from my income.

Good luck.