You are here

Stepmoms aren't the only ones that have it tough.

BigEasy1203's picture

Stepdads do too. I will agree that with the whole "Disney Dad" thing, stepmothers probably do have it worse. But, being a stepfather is certainly a challenge (to put it nicely).

My SD20 is off at school now, and my wife is bad about saying, "well, she's an adult now, she can do what she wants and I really don't have any control over that". The way I look at it is, I may not have control over what she does, but as long as I am paying for ANY of her expenses, I have some say in what is expected of her. If I don't agree with it, I can pull all financial support and she can be on her own. She can then waste all her money on pot and whatever else she wants to do, and I won't say a word.

It's funny how I always thought things would get better as the kids got older and more "mature". Haha - I was very naïve.

Ninji's picture

I completely agree with you. If she is an adult now and wants to do whatever she wants, then she can live on her own without any financial support from anyone.

robin333's picture

Yeap, no input from you, no financial resources to her.

Being an adult means you can spend YOUR money the way you want.

SM12's picture

I agree that SD's have it tough too. My BS is a good kid but there are times he is challenging. Like right after a weekend visit with BD. It seems like his mouth is bigger than his balls when he gets back from BD's. DH does a decent job most of the time but I have had to teach him a thing or two about step life. I was a prior Step parent and learned what to to and not do so I already knew what to expect from my end. DH isn't perfect, he is a disney dad to his kids, expects more from my BS than his kids and has less patience with BS. However, I have NO Patience for my Skids, and honestly cant stand them.
I try to take into consideration DH's side of things when there is conflict but I will always have BS's best interests come first. DH had to get used to that real fast and it is still a learning process for us all.

kathc's picture

ABSOLUTELY!

If you're providing funding, you get a say. SD wants to be an adult and nobody telling her what to do? Then she can be an adult and support herself.