You are here

SS19 showed up at our house last night

stina1119L's picture

DH got a call from his son asking to come stay the night at our house. He really does not do that much anymore, and I think DH was so desperate to have time with him, he said yes, even though he was coming over bc he was fighting with his mother and wanted to just get away. DH & I have talked about how this is not an acceptable reason for the boys to come to our house. They are always welcome, unless they are just running away from a mess they created, we will not bail them out of trouble they made for themselves. YET DH let him come over. Needless to say I was not happy that the FIRST time this rule between us was challenged by one of the kids, he broke it!!!! Sad

But we did get to talk to SS about his mother's house a little and what goes on there. She's buttering up SS16 to stay with her. Buying him bad food and he's gaining weight (a lot of it) and play video games all day, (she buys him new video games) and he does not have any chores at her house now. So she's purposely making a paradise for him there, which makes him not want to come to our house. Anyways, we already knew this, just got valid confirmation.

SS19 is a troubled kid, has no focus, ambition or direction. His mother won't help him and we hardly see him enough to help him. I'm so scared hes going to want to live with us. I don't want him in our house EVER when we are not home. Yet I DH agrees with me now but if the time comes, he will do the opposite.

Not to mention DH took EX to court in Jan for a bunch of things, and although he presented himself well, he lost just about everything. We now have to pay her MORE in CS than we already were, even though one of the orders was to reduce the child support. Shes evil, taking the kids away from him in a way that he can't prove it's her influence, and she get rewarded for that with MORE money from the court system???!!!??? This was a slap in the face!

Orange County Ca's picture

If the situation arises allow the boy to live in the home only if he is working and paying rent equal to what he would have to pay a stranger OR going to school full time and maintaining grades.

Tell your husband that this is how responsible parents treat their children who need to get up and take care of themselves.

It's been my experience and observation that most kids faced with paying rent to a parent will find a roommate and rent an apartment thereby gaining their freedom from parential oversight. So don't worry too much about him actually moving in yet at the same time you're being reasonable about dealing with him. If the boy actually does move in under these conditions then he's probably going to be more responsible that you think. After all they are growing up and still can mature.