You are here

Revelation!!!

CantKeepDoingThis's picture

This morning I had to kind of chuckle to myself. DH has had a week of not so hot showers, because SD15 has been taking her showers in the morning. This is an issue because she has specifically been told she is to take her showers at night before bed...been told on many, many occasion! She always argues that she doesn't like to take her shower at night, because her hair dries funny when she sleeps on it. So she has been told, "Okay, when then make sure you take it early enough for your hair to dry! Problem solved!" She still doesn't want to, so unless DH specifically tells her every single night to take a shower, she won't do it!

So DH this morning was not happy that she was in the shower taking his hot water AGAIN and said, "Why is it SD15 doesn't do ANYTHING unless I tell her to do it? I'm so tired of telling her to do everything!" I very calmly explain to him that SD15 KNOWS what she is supposed to do, but she is trying to see what she can get away with, and if DH doesn't say anything, then she is simply not going to do what she doesn't feel like doing! Unless he puts down consequences for her defiance, she will keep playing these games to get her way with things! DH very grumpily went and took his luke warm shower, while I chilled for a bit in bed...awake...until I had to be up to take BS19 to get his immunizations for college.

When DH and SD15 were leaving, DH asked SD15 if she had everything...phone, key, LUNCH. SD15 claimed her lunch was in her bag. That is strange, because SD15 was not in kitchen at all this morning! I know...the kitchen is right next to our bedroom, and SD15 is NEVER quiet in the kitchen. This morning was the second morning in a row that I heard nothing from the kitchen. I also noted that both the jelly and the mayo are in the pantry unopened (I buy when low, but keep in the pantry until what is in the fridge is gone to avoid clutter and multiple open containers of the same thing). SD15 will not eat a ham and cheese without mayo, and will not eat peanut butter without jelly...so what is she packing for lunch, because there are no other lunch items in the house! DH asked SD15 if she cleaned up her mess from making her lunch, and SD15 said she didn't make a mess. Of course she didn't, because she didn't make a lunch!!! So now she is lying about eating and starving herself! Lovely! Need to point this out to DH this evening. And SD15 can't say, "Well, there was nothing to make for lunch because we are out of X and Y" because the new jelly and new mayo are sitting right next to the peanut butter in the pantry!! They have been there for 2 weeks now! There is still a half of loaf of bread, juice pouches, animal crackers, cereal, milk (which is not bad...was bought this week)...no excuse for her to not eat!

And then there was the outfit SD15 left the house in this morning for band. Butt shorts, sports bra, and one of those ripped/tied shirts that is so thrashed, she may as well not be wearing a shirt at all! DH did say, "Are you going to ever wear something out of the house that I don't hate?" SD15 just giggled and headed to the car. I would have made her go back and put on more clothing, but oh well...not my kid!

I do hope that DH is finally seeing that SD15 needs more parenting, as he said this morning "she doesn't do anything unless I tell her". He needs to start telling her! I have my second interview with the gym next week, and it is looking very positive. I start working these extra hours, and DH is going to have to run the house while I'm not here. Maybe he will finally have to quit being Mr. Nice Guy when he has to spend so much time alone with the princess.

Calypso1977's picture

after things that have happened in the past few weeks, i truly and sincerely feel that my SD13 is too far gone and its too late to reverse behaviors and attitudes.

she will forever in a day be a co-dependent, non-producer in society.

Well, then, I'm surely doomed! When I think about SD15's first 7 years of life, I remember temper tantrums to get her way and BM and DH giving in. I remember SD15 NEVER getting any kind of punishment...no time out, no swats...nothing! DH would have MIL and SIL come over to help SD15 clean her room here, and BM never made SD15 pick up after herself (from age 0-7, SD15 and BM lived with BM's mom, who picked up after SD15). SD15 was never taught to eat right...she only ate what she wanted...chicken nuggests, mac & cheese, french fries, pizza, and anything with a butt load of sugar. And if she didn't want to eat, she didn't have to eat. UGH...I'm doomed!

But what you say does have some merit. I mean, yeah, BD23 went through her rebel stage 15-18. When I had to make the tough decision to kick her out because she kept drinking, it didn't take BD23 long to get back on track. Why? Because I built my bios a solid foundation! They were made to pick up after themselves, they had chores, they were told no (i.e., didn't just get whatever they wanted), etc. Both my bios are hard workers, understand budgets and don't act entitled, are respectful, etc.

Calypso1977's picture

yes, this is my SD13 exactly.
her parents did EVERYTHING for her. she has never had chores, or any responsibility. asks for juice boxes when she can get up off her ass and get them herself (she does at our home). she still makes her dad carry stuff for her to/from house and car and the fool does it.

over step's picture

My DH will get frustrated with his DD and say he's going to make her do something but then changes his mind when it comes to confronting her stating he doesn't like confrontation. Then don't make it discussion or debate with her. Tell her you will do this or there will be consequences. There in lies another issue. No follow through. SD has caught on that he is all talk and she just has to suffer through another butt chewing.

Calypso1977's picture

ditto.

@Sally...thanks...I'm so praying this comes through...more so because I want to do something I enjoy doing.

@Calypso...I often think the same thing. Girl is stuck in her ways! Here lately she says she has been "trying to change" with regards to her behavior and such. Really? I surely haven't seen any change in the way she acts and her blatant disregard for rules (like the whole shower thing and the cleaning up after herself). Yeah right she is trying to change!

@overstep...DH does the same thing!!! In the moment, he is upset. Like this morning with the shower. He is always grumpy in the morning, and looks forward to his HOT shower to help revive him. If he knows he isn't going to get this, he is even more grumpy. Will he actually say anything to SD15 about it? Probably not! I'm just shocked SD15 was up already and in the shower when my fitbit went off! There were 2 days noted this week that she didn't get up on her own. This school year should be interested, as I will be taking early morning clients and will not be around to wake up the princess!

@tommar...She is 15, but yeah...if she isn't eating, it is DH's fault. I've already tried to talk to the girl about the dangers of not eating. She knows that I know more than your average person about weight loss and being healthy...I've gone through my own weight loss journey (and we aren't talking 10 vanity lbs...but significant weight loss of nearly half of myself), I've gone to school to study fitness and nutrition, etc. She will not listen to me. At this point, DH needs to quit being "Mr. Nice Guy" about it. He needs to recognize that there is a problem, and start putting his foot down. No more taking SD15's word for things! Knowing what I know, I would have asked her to take her lunch out and show me. Sure, that will not force her to actually eat it at lunch time, but it will send a message that I'm on to her. I would get up and make sure she ate breakfast before she left the house. I would make sure she ate dinner. And if she was tired of me busting her chops about it...oh well...it is a parent's right to bust their kid's chops about things they are doing wrong or doing things that will harm themselves.

Exactly!!! He's so passive about it. He tells her she must eat breakfast, but he does nothing to see that it happens...so she doesn't eat in the mornings. Just like the showers. It's not that she doesn't want to shower (as she will take one in the morning if she doesn't before bed), she just doesn't want to do it on OUR time table as to allow everyone to have hot water. Sooooo....if DH doesn't actually go tell SD15 to take her show in the evening, she won't do it! It wouldn't hurt DH to get up 15 minutes early so that he can sit with her and make sure she eats breakfast! Shoot, he can sit and have a bowl of raisin bran with her, instead of hitting up the McDonald's for breakfast himself (he could stand to eat healthier, and it would save money). Then, don't let her head to the bathroom, just head on to school (as she has him convinced she just can't ride the bus in the morning). And in the evening...same thing...don't allow her "I'm not hungry" excuses...don't allow her to put her food in the trash. Make her sit and eat, and make her wait to disappear to the bathroom! Yes, it may be some work...may even be a fight...but at least he would be doing something about the problem!

Yup...if things don't change. SD15 is claiming she is done with guys. Oh really? That's why she is still running round in skimpy little outfits and talking to about 3-4 guys every night on her phone and via text message.