You are here

It costs WHAT?!

CantKeepDoingThis's picture

So, after the whole pot ordeal on Friday, SD15 hands DH this paper for this camp she wants to go to next summer. Here is a breakdown of the costs:

$150 just to try out...must be paid by 10/1

$2300 for the camp itself

$400 some other misc crap associated with camp

The look on her face was priceless when I said, "Well, guess you need to get to fundraising! Maybe even a job! I know the place your brother worked at will hire you at 15." Really, get a job to pay for a WANT! But...but...but...

Later when we were alone, DH tried to say that this camp was about the same as BS19's football camps, so I couldn't I find the money. First of all, BS19's camp TOTALS for any given summer were only about $300 (they were typically about $100/camp). I also pointed out that football is what got him into college in the first place. Second, I pointed out that I paid for BS19's camps out of MY income, AND BS19 rarely asked for anything else the rest of the year and didn't treat people like crap! That pretty much brought that conversation to an end. Don't know what is going to become of the camp...should be interesting for DH to try to find the money, while SD15 continues to ask for all kinds of other stuff.

I did have a good time with BS19 during college orientation, however. It was refreshing to be away from SD15 and spend some time with a young adult with a good head on their shoulders. In just the last week since I left him up there, he has already started to mature so much!! Had all of his stuff in order, had his schedule memorized, and he is actually the one that gets a couple of the guys up in the dorms to get moving in the mornings. DH commented that I seemed so calm and happy. I wanted to say that it was because I was away from SD15...try to make him understand how her mere presence effects our home...but I didn't want to cause a huge fight.

On our way home, the drama started before we even got across the state line! SD15 made my MIL take her to BM's on Thursday night, instead of Friday night as was already planned. We knew about this, as my MIL called on our trip up. DH said that was okay, but he wanted SD15 to go to church on Sunday, so he told SD15 to make sure she called my MIL to come get her Saturday night. Well, come to find out, my MIL never heard a peep from SD15, and when she tried to call and arrange pickup, she got nothing but attitude and that she was staying at BMs on Sunday...come get her Sunday evening! So, MIL went and got SD15 yesterday evening. Now, the original plan was that SD15 and my MIL were going to hang out until we got back, and we would swing by and pick up SD15 on our way home. NOPE! When MIL went to pick up SD15, nothing but attitude!!! And all she wanted to do was to be taken home! MIL wasn't keen on this, because she knows we really don't like SD15 home alone, but brought her home anyway, and then sat in her car in the driveway because she didn't want to be around the girl any longer! Yes, it was THAT bad. What did DH have to say about it, "Well, mom, you gotta understand that she is 15...and she is always a little grumpy when she gets back from BM's." OMG!!! So, now you are making excuses for the child being rude to YOUR mother? Don't you have any respect for her at least? We got home, and SD15 got one of her little talks about her attitude, and that was it.

Now, I'm stuck with the brat in this house all week, because there is no more band camp, and school hasn't started yet. Going to be a really long week!

Exactly!! "She's 15"..."Maybe it's her time of the month"...etc. I hate these excuses!! I get that time of the month, and that isn't my free ticket to treat the world like crap!

Oh, and I forgot to include the funniest part of all of it. DH STILL thinks that SD15 needs to go to the college BS19 is going to. Okay...so the college is amazing...I love the place, the people, the values. BS19 actually chose to go here...he didn't have to. But it is the kind of person he is! He is someone who is strong in his faith (actually WANTS to be at church). The college is a private Christian college...and that means they have a lifestyle code! You don't follow the lifestyle code, you can get expelled. Now, that isn't an issue for BS19. He goes to chapel, he doesn't drink, he doesn't smoke, he's never done drugs...he is honest, dependable, accountable, etc. You know, all those things SD15 is not! Every time DH says he thinks SD15 should go to that school, I want to bust out laughing because I KNOW she could never obey the lifestyle code!

There are a bunch of cool kids at BS19's college. Our nick name for his roommate is Micheal Oher...seriously, that is who the kid reminds me of...from The Blind Side. Big guy, doesn't talk much, very respectful. We took him to lunch with us yesterday because his parents weren't there, and we didn't want him to be one of the only Freshmen stuck alone on campus. Even at lunch when we told the kid to order whatever he wanted, the look on his face was like the character in the movie when he was given his own room...LOL. He still ordered a burger...could have had whatever he wanted, but ordered a burger. He and BS19 are getting pretty close. I can see a life-long friendship here. But the whole time...yes sir, yes ma'am...very polite young man. So I do have hope that my kids aren't the only ones out there with some manners...LOL.

thinkthrice's picture

UGH! BM just sent OSS and YSS to "CampRocStar" a Rock Star FANTASY camp that OSS goes to every.single.year since turning 10. The BM clan has told him that he's going to be the next American Idol winner (no lie).

At $1,000 bucks for starters. . . Yep that 1,000 a month in CS from Chef who makes $15 an hour is REALLY coming in handy!! Since OSS hasn't become the next "One Direction" yet, they are now pinning hopes on YSS (insert eye roll).

Only consolation is that OSS won't be able to go next year because he turns 18 in October. Of course this is NYS so the CS gravy train goes on until 21 but there's more!

The BM will most certainly enroll OSS in community college when he is about to turn 21 so she can extend CS for another four years or so. That GPA of 1.7 will really open doors for him /sarcasm OFF

This is a marching band camp. SD15 wants to try out for a position on the guard. Only problem is...girl could not even make officer on guard! Captain tryouts were judged by independent outside judges. SD15 really isn't that good! So, you have to spend $150 just to get into tryouts, and if you don't make it, you are out that $150! If she were actually good, then yeah...I would say try. But she isn't!

Of course, then there is the issues that DH is not considering...grades, staying out of trouble. I really think he needs to pay close attention to the first 6-weeks of school before he makes any such commitment. I would say she shouldn't even be allowed to try out unless she maintain a B+ average and doesn't get into any trouble. I would also make the stipulation that she MUST do her share around the house without being asked...pick up after herself, do her own dishes, take out the trash and do any other assigned chores, etc. Make her understand that if she wants things, she needs to work for them...not just have them handed to her.

thinkthrice's picture

Believe me, OSS and YSS are just as talentLESS. They are very LOUD, I'll give them that, but musical talent? NO WAY!

Just the same these camps are eager to perform a walletectomy on the BFF BMs who are filling their kids with pipe dreams.

OSS stb 18, is a pot fiend and works part time at a local greasy spoon (and by the looks of it is eating all the profits)

YSS 11 1/2 is just a bizarre kid who actually SHIT in my house on purpose and rubbed it in to all the furniture when he was stb 7.

BarkAtTheMoon's picture

Aw, that made me smile about BS19 and Michael Oher. (I'm in Ravens territory....) I don't see any way in hell that SD15 would even get accepted into this college. So, get your popcorn ready, sit back and relax. Meantime, DH should either sign her up for a military boot camp for next summer, or help her find a job and start saving if she has to go to this $2300+ camp of hers. Seriously.

~ Moon

Yeah, when DH starts talking about SD15 in college, I laugh inside! She can't even keep a color guard schedule straight, how on earth would she be able to keep classes straight? Oh, and this college...REQUIRED chapel twice a week. Girl already tries to get out of going to church every time she gets, and she is going to get her happy butt out of her dorm and go to chapel without someone dragging her? But as been said...first SD15 has to get accepted into a school. That means, for the next 3 years, she has to have good attendance, good grades, and keep out of trouble...three things I don't see happening.

AllySkoo's picture

Your DH is insane! Almost three thousand dollars for camp??? Jesus Mary and Joseph on a biscuit....

Will your DH adopt me? Smile

Rags's picture

Your SD needs a weekend with my mom. My nearly 70yo mom would light her ass up, have her answering yes or no ma'am immediately when asked a question, snapping to any request immediately without delay, speaking, acting, sitting, and behaving like a young lady and most impressively .... your SD would beg to spend the next weekend with my mom.

Your SD needs a firm foot up her ass and a no bullshit, zero tolerance consistent approach in order to eliminate her bullshit.

A backhanded slap to snarky teen lips escalated to a belt to the bare ass would address any failure on SD's part to get with the program of acceptable behavior.

The adults in her life need to step up.

IMHO of course.

BarkAtTheMoon's picture

Rags, just like the good old days. We are the way we ARE, because our upbringing worked. I didn't get smacked, but my stepfather taught me that a little fear went a long way.

I chose to respect him, myself and others because of it.

~ Moon

Oh...I got smacked if I back-talked my mom or lied to her (she always seemed to know the truth before she asked the question). One time, I kept trying to lie over and over, and the repeated smacking caused a bruise. Mom told me if my teachers said a word about it, I better tell them that I lied to my mother! Of course, that was a different time...today, that would be an instant CPS call, no questions asked.

My back side also got more than one good tanning in my lifetime!

Yeah, I think the whole camp thing is a bit much. SD15 needs to start thinking about some sort of fund-raising...job, a Go-Fund-Me page, something! She needs to learn about doing something to raise or earn the money she needs, rather than just expecting me to "find" money for her. I'm done with that!!! DH will not find the money, and I'm not willing to...go my own to be concerned about and SD15 treats me like crap!

LOL!!!

But seriously...DH should suggest that SD15 open up a Go Fund Me page and see what happens...she has time. I've known some kids going on church mission trips and such that did that. $5, $10, $20...every little bit helps. Make her sit down and write something about why this camp is so important to her, and tell her that if she wants to get anyone to donate to her cause, she has to be sincere and she has to want to go for the right reasons. Make her really think about why she is wanting to go, rather than just wanting to go because it sounds cool! I think I may bring that up to him!

Would be good practice for writing those scholarship pages IF she actually ends up in college...LOL. I mean, it is kinda the same thing, right?

BarkAtTheMoon's picture

Go Fund Me is a great idea. Those poor people won't even know who they are donating to. Bwahahahah! It might work in SD's favor then!

~ Moon