You are here

BM denies me adoption...

alliteration's picture

I have been the only functioning mother that my 3 step daughters have had for over 6 years now. BM lost custody and only had very limited supervised visitation due to moving a convicted child rapist into the family home. She then left the state 4 years ago without telling us where she was going. Even her parents refused to tell us how to get a hold of her. Abandonment, right? Well, I started pursuing termination of her parental rights this year so I can adopt the children I've been raising for so long (with no help from her). She FINALLY starts calling my husband this week! This is what she says: "The only reason I don't want the adoption to happen is that I'm afraid people will think I'm a bad mother if I give them up."

At this point, I lost it and laughed hysterically. I couldn't help it. This woman is living on another planet and will never be okay.

Anyone else have a BM who is completely out of touch with reality?

uncommon's picture

Wow, she sounds crazy. I am sure people already think she is a bad mother considering she abandoned her children (although it sounds like they are better off without her - kudos to you for stepping in and taking care of them).

Consult an attorney if you haven't already.

Doubletakex3's picture

I'm kind of curious how DH responded to her when she said that? If I were him I probably would have either laughed or been completely dumbfounded.

Oi Vey's picture

You can still pursue the adoption. How do the girls feel about it? A judge can still order it without the consent of the bioparent.

(Like people don't already think she's a terrible mother...ugh)

CalgonTakeMeAway's picture

Yikes. Our BM is out of touch with reality, but at least she loves the kids. She has it all backwards. The horrible mother part was moving a rapist in. Tell her it makes her look like a GREAT mother giving up rights because she is putting the kids before herself. Make her look like a saint. She may respond to that.