You are here

Differences in parenting..how do you address?

LAR22313's picture
Forums: 

I am the stepmom to 3 boys, my husband and I have them 50/50 with his ex wife. For the most part we get along just fine, however my husband and I have vastly different views than his ex does when it comes to the boys. In the past we have had our disagreements and discussions about certain issues, but I was just curious how other step parents handle dealing with inconsistencies in parenting. I tend to deal more with my husbands ex, mainly because I don't work and the boys are at our house every day after school, so I see her more often when she picks them up on her days. We have the kind of relationship where we talk a lot and we are both open with our opinions. My question has to do with a situation that came up the other day. The oldest boy is on a soccer team currently and is trying out for a football team for next school year. I told him that although he had tryouts every day this week that he still needed to make it to soccer practice because that was where his commitment was. He's committed to being on the team and we try to teach our kids at an early age that if they choose to be a part of any type of team then they are to fulfill that commitment before anything else, even on days they don't want to go. We believe it teaches them good morals they will carry with them as they get older. Well, his biological mother and stepfather made the comment that he's already on the soccer team so it would be fine to miss soccer in order to possibly secure a spot on the football team. I understand it is ultimately her son, and her say, but my husband and I feel like that's showing him it's ok to pass up one commitment if something else comes along, and I just don't agree with that. How would you handle this situation? We have issues like this quite a bit, the two younger boys have never committed to anything, and she always lets them out of practices and things when they don't want to go, which we feel like has impacted how they see all sorts of situations in their life already. Should we just let it go and realize she will do what she wants, we just need to keep trying with the kids? It's really gotten frustrating to me since I feel like we are trying to do what's best for them in the long run.

Acratopotes's picture

All I can suggest - stop communicating with BM, you do not have to, she can communicate with DH only regarding the kids, and DH should talk to his children....

You and DH have the kids way more then BM, they are there every day after school, thus what ever they need to be at is your(+DH's) responsibility.... BM does not have a say, she can not decide what kids should be doing while at your house, just as you can not decide what kids should be doing at her house.

It's a simply matter of boundaries, You know it's soccer you only go to soccer, SS can say, no football, you smile and say NO.. soccer your team depends on you, football can wait...

As long as you and DH are on the same page why care if BM is not on that page?

LAR22313's picture

Yea I understand what you're saying, I guess it's been a somewhat bumpy road and things are relatively calm on all fronts so we try to work together more than not to show the kids stability and make sure they understand we're all in this together. So not communicating or disregarding her opinion seems like it would be backtracking I guess? I agree that when they're with us we do things one way and she can do another when they are with her, but this is on shared time really. And it's more of the principle of things not that actual activity, you know? So it's more of an issue of long term thinking that makes it hard to understand. I suppose some people just don't look at these types of things as learning opportunities for kids.

Acratopotes's picture

DH should really step up then and talk to the boys, in a friendly way.....

explain to them life choices and how you do not drop people depending on you... suggest a guys fishing trip or something

LochnessStepMonster's picture

I would just stop putting them in activities. If they can't commit then they must quit. Who is paying for these activities?

As for the differences in parenting, those differences are always going to be there. You can only control wjat happens in your house.

LAR22313's picture

You're right there will always be differences, I guess after many years it's still hard to swallow though. We typically pay 50/50 for stuff for the kids. The younger two were in gymnastics and quit, and she paid exclusively for that so it was hard for us to tell her not to let them quit when she took them and paid for it. Oh the joys of co-parenting!

LAR22313's picture

Yep I agree. His football coach told him he really should be there every day, but he hasn't had soccer practice yet so when he goes tomorrow I will have him ask! Thanks for the suggestion Smile

moeilijk's picture

I'd take a moment to reflect more deeply on the values you mention you and DH want to teach the boys. I suspect it will be easier to have an all-around approach rather than waiting for 'teaching moments' like this soccer/football situation which has a lot of tension and potential conflict built in.

For example, you said you want the kids to learn commitment and perseverance, so maybe you find other ways to create space for those qualities to develop.

http://activate28.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Commitment.jpg
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/84/fc/ca/84fccadd7150fbd0405d1...