You are here

Step Grand Parent, Or Free Baby Sitter?

davestallone's picture

Hello, I wanted to get a general opinion on the subject of step grand parents and baby sitting.I'm my wife's 3rd husband, and have been baby sitting her grand daughter for free, so that her son(from a previous marriage), and his wife can work full time.

This arrangement has existed for all of her grand daughter's 7 years. That includes 6 months of 5 days a week when she was born, and then 2 years of the same before she started school. Currently, I'm down to a couple days a week or less.

As an almost 60 year old step grand parent, I feel that I've contributed my fair share of babysitting to my wife's family, and want to do other things with my life.

My step son has many other family members, friends, and neighbors who can easily replace my 2 days a week.

When I brought this up to my wife, she freaked out and tried to guilt trip on me. Long story short, she believes that everyone in a divorced family should always pitch in and help her son, not just the bio grand parents.

Any thoughts, should a bio family take care of their own, without involving the step folks? Thanks very much in advance!

twoviewpoints's picture

Doesn't matter if the child is a step or an bio grandchild. Don't get into 'not my kid, not my problem' bit with your wife.

You're pushing sixty. You've done your 'time' , time to let somebody babysit for a while. Again doesn't matter , step or bio, you've been more than generous already and it's time to spend your days doing whatever it is you please. Doesn't mean you don't love the little girl or that you don't want to still be a part of your life....it's just time to do it on your own terms. Committing to two days a week doesn't fit into your wanted routine anymore. Simple as that. Give the parents notice so they can find an alternative daycare or babysitter.

Just be sure you still invite grandkiddo over now and then to spend a bit of time with grandpa as she will miss the contact she's had with you.

Enjoy the free days to come ahead. You've done your 'duty'.

davestallone's picture

Guys, thank you! I needed to hear that. Indeed, the best and most effective word in the English language is NO!