You are here

should dads...

Buzybee82's picture

short background: sd's bm is a nasty skeezy person! because of that sd10 acting in ways she shouldn't be ex: having her dad buy her training bra's, cuddling with dh like a husband & wife would. walking in on dh when he's in shower, talking to dh when he's in the bathroom (through the door)...
sd & dh go shopping today, and when they get home sd super excited and said she's glad she went on that trip cuz she got a razor for saving her arm pits! she doesn't even have hair there, and btw she STILL poops her pants! last week when they were at the store she made him buy her training bras! this week razors! dh is totally uncomfortable with all of this! i told sd months ago she has no hair to shave and should not be shaving! found out that this week bm told dh on the phone that sd is shaving now. YUK! these girls (bm&sd) are beyond normal and don't understand that there's things little girls don't talk to their daddies about or other men! my point is that 1. she doesn't have hairs to shave 2. she still poops her pants like a baby and shouldn't be doing things like a big girl. 3.sd shouldn't talk to or include dh in these women moments.
is it normal for a dad to buy training bras? should sd be shaving hair that isn't even there? if sd is only 10 and still poops her pants (nothing medically wrong) should she even begin to get into training bras?/razors? should dh talk to sd about what's appropriate for her to discuss with him and other men? should dh tell bm not to talk to him about this kind of stuff?
sd always acts like a baby... whose than a baby! she shouldn't be shaving cuz she doesn't have hair to shave AND SHE STILL POOPS HER PANTS!!!
what's normal? i never talked to my dad about this stuff!!! sd has plenty of women in her life to talk to, she doesn't need to talk to "daddy" about this...fuck she still calls him dada!
should dh talk to sd about what's ok to talk to men about? or even tell bm not to talk to him about this? i think it's totally wrong. bm is allowing her to shave her hairless armpits before she's even potty trained her own daughter that's 10!!! sd acts like a baby all the time, even talks like one!
i told dh he needs to talk to sd! bm...i would if it was me, but shes on her own planet so really there's no point! what's normal? what should we do?

Bio father's picture

What does your husband say about these things ? I mean, she just walks in while he's in the shower, that is very disturbing. The only thing I don't find creepy is buying training bra's.

Buzybee82's picture

he tells her to leave him alone... he's taking a shower. dh,dd2, and i were all in the shower yesterday together cuz sd used all the hot water and sd came in 3 times asking stupid questions! she will open our bedroom door at night and just walk in. If we're in our room talking some knocks every minute!!!
i would never have had my dad take me shopping for bras!!! that's a girl trip for sure

guiltystepmom's picture

None of ur business if she shaves, when she shaves, if she poops in her pants...seriously ur not the parent ! u really sound like u hate this skid...because these our not serious issues! and btw,,,shes allowed to cuddle iwth her dad...He's HER dad!!!!!!!!! dont get urself sick with this,,,,;)

Buzybee82's picture

my point with the training bra was that she physically doesn't need one yet, same with the shaving of her arm pits there no hair there. her bm is beyond fucked up... she hasn't even potty trained her 10yr old, yet she has her in bras and shaving, both things completely unnecessary. it's like she wants her daughter to be a teen, but at the same time raises her to act like a baby! its all wack!

Buzybee82's picture

i say when sd is mature enough to take care of her bowels, and clean up her messes, not hide them... then start to introduce her into these young woman things... not now while she doesn't even need it and acts like a baby!

Buzybee82's picture

the original point to this post was that these aren't things to do with your daddy, do then with your mom, step mom, grandma, aunt, friend, etc!

guiltystepmom's picture

her Bm is fucked...we all know that...but its her problem not urs...my SD has been doing disgusting things since shes 12...and u know what i dont break my head with it anymore...except for the fact that shes a bad influence for my 8 yr old daughter...but then again, my kid has more common sense than SD16...its all the mother's doing!!!!!!! dissengae, it feels great! Smile

Rags's picture

Generally I am in agreement with the majority of the other's who have said that every topic is appropriate for SD to speak to her father about. Taking your SD to buy bras and razors is what a dad should do with his daugther.

IMHO she is going through natural progression of pre-puberty or early puberty and generally there is nothing abnormal or wrong with what she is doing. Though I do agree with you that some of the stuff has a creepy feel even if it is primarily normal behavior for a child at this stage.

However, it is absolutely YOUR business what SD does in your home, in your family, with your husband and as an equity parent to SD on parity with your DH and with BM you should be completely informed on what is going on with YOUR daugther, step though she may be. I insisted from day one on equity parent status to my wife and damned sure insisted on and inforced superior parental status to the SpermIdiot. My family home, my spouse (wife), my kid (though step), my money, my call and I was and always will be fully informed and participatory in all family decisions. PERIOD!!! Of course all of the above applies to my wife also. We are a team.

End of story.

The pooping thing is not relevent to the shaving/bra topic IMHO but is definately something that should be addressed. A pointed discussion with SD and some application of the effective "rub the puppies nose in the pee/poop then swat it on the rump ane toss it in the back yard" house breaking philosophy is in order. Of course you do not physically rub SD's nose in her crap filled panties but you do put them in a zip lock and place them on her pillow. You have a discussion with her indicating that she is growing up and young women do not crap their pants. Only very young children do that and if she continues you will buy her very big and noticable diapers/pull-ups and she WILL wear them. Her choice. Then follow through if she makes the wrong choice.

I believe in accountability and high parental expectations for children. Part of that is not downplaying things like 10yos crapping their drawers or behaving inappropriately. It also requires similar expactations and accountability for the parents to parent appropriately and effectively.

I suggest that you do some reaseach of SD's behavior re: the bra and shaving thing as well as the incroaching on DH's/the families shower time. I think you will find that it is all withing the bounds of normality. Tweak your parenting philosophy appropriately.

All in my layman's opinion of course.

20YearsAsAStep-Mom's picture

Humilation is never a good solutions to a child's problem no matter what they are. Putting her poop on her bed in a baggies is disgusting and humiliating and will likely damage her more than she already is. She sounds like a very insecure litle girl with some self image issues. Pooping in her pants at 10 could be caused by a number of things and a visit to a Pediatrician would be the best course of action. Until the parents know why this is happening punishing her for it will only cause more problems. BTW you sound like a control freak to me and found your solutions and family "rules" a little disturbing.

at whits end with ss's picture

I have to disagree with your "poop panties in a baggie" solution. My SS8 is also going through this same issue. When he was with BM she would just throw them away and ignore the problem. What I found works for us in my home. Is this:

1. Make sure that she understands how to properly wipe. (My ss8 wasn't really pooping in his pants (although it looked like it) he was just simply not attempting to wipe at all! I had DH go in and show him what it feels like to wipe correctly and taught him to look at the TP and continue to wipe until TP comes clean.

2. DOn't just throw dirty underwear away. THis allows the child to think it's ok. We make SS8 clean his underwear out before we wash them. I guess it's like rubbing his nose in it, but as bad. This tells him that its not ok and its not normal to get feces in your underwear.

3. IF SS8 decides to just throw dirty underwear away secretly, we make him take his own allowance, birthday money, etc. and buy himself more underwear. SS8 is very money motivated.

4. When he does get poop in his pants we usually take something away (such as his TV or video games) or he is grounded for the day.

These may or may not work for your situation. I have found them working great at our house. Except for the first two days after SS8 comes back from BM.

Buzybee82's picture

I'm happy to read and take in what you all are saying. i resent the poster that accused me of not liking my sd... that's not even close to true!
i guess I'm coming from a long background of sd acting inappropriately... and may me mixing some things up that may be normal. i totally agree that dads are huge roles in their daughter's lives. that's why i believe dh needs to talk to sd about what's appropriate to discuss with who. sd comes from a very dysfunctional home, and crosses the line of what's ok and what's not. i think it's great she's comfortable being open with dh on this stuff, but she needs to be taught by someone normal (not her bm) what's on to talk with who about. bm is a skeezy slut bag. we've watched sd act out behaviors that aren't normal or ok since she was very little.
there is no medical cond. for her pooping her pants, and she can/does control it when she wants to, she's NEVER done it at school. i think if she wants to start doing these young women things she should stop pooping her pants first! if she was my daughter (she would be potty trained) she wouldn't be shaving until she acts old enough... and has hair! her bm is sooooo f-d up! rushing her to shave, yet does nothing about her pooping! so wrong!

Buzybee82's picture

it NEVER ENDS!!! sd freaked out, threw a huge fit in front of our dd2, so now dd is flopping her body around like sd was, yelling, throwing fits!!! lovely! sd is absolutely crazy. she literally acts like she's having a seizure when she throws fits! acts whose than any toddler I've ever seen!!! and she wants to be mature enough to shave?!?! i don't think so!!!

oneoffour's picture

If she is freaking out calmly walk over to the sink, fill a glass with cold water and walk back calmly and throw it in her face. When she is spluttering you tell her FIRMLY without yelling that she is NOT to behave like this again. It works. She will not drown and get a little wet.

Pooing her pants... ziplock thing. Take her to Dairy Queen for an icecream and have a little talk to her. Tell her that as girls grow up they want to try grown up girl stuff. However girls who shave their legs or other places and girls who wear bras do not poo their pants. In future if she craps herself she will obviously be overtired and has to go to bed 1 hr early. If she has a tantrum she is not getting enough sleep and goes to bed another hour early. Also point out that she will scar herself if she cuts herself too much. And she could get a nasty skin infection if she doesn't practice good hygiene and wash her hands before and after shaving.

My mother actually told my sister that if she didn't pick up her dirty underwear off her bedroom floor she would hang it on the front fence with a notice saying whose underwear it is. The thing I can remember is thinking "And Mum has REALLY neat handwriting and everyone will be able to read it!"

supermom123's picture

OneofFour! I love you! Hilarious. Your last paragraph about hanging the panties on the fence, love it! God, I wish I had known that idea when my two SD's were living with me. They would leave their underwear laying on the floor and there would be bloodstains in the panties, with the crotch sitting face-up on the floor for everyone to see. I was always worried about my own bio-son seeing the bloody underwear and freaking him out a bit. So, I would gently teach my SD's how to wash out the panties in the sink before tossing the bloody stains in the laundry bin. They never learned because they didn't care. I wish I had known of the FENCE idea! And my handwriting is REALLY nice as well .... too funny.

christinen's picture

It's hard when a SD's BM is such a bad influence. My SD is only 4 and has already asked for a bra, which my MIL got her this past Christmas when she was 3 years old. I agree with the poster who said I think it's appropriate for the father to get her things she NEEDS, like when she starts her period and NEEDS pads/tampons. Not that she should be going into detail but just to be able to say "hey dad, I need a box of tampons"- I don't think there's anything wrong with that. It's his job to provide for her needs. HOWEVER, you said this girl does not need a bra yet so no, I do not think she should have one and the razor when she has no hair to shave is just crazy. It seems like she is trying to be grown when she is not yet (especially still pooping her pants!) & that only means trouble- in a few years, imagine how much worse it could be if your DH doesn't put an end to it now. She will be 13 years old having sex.

christinen's picture

I just went back and read a few more of the responses and have to say, I think it is time there is a consequence for SD pooping her pants. She is way too old and at 10 years old, she has full control of her own bowels (you stated there is no medical issue). It's definitely time to put your foot down (and for your DH to put his foot down) because that is just disgusting. I would not be washing a 10 year old's crappy underwear. Yuck! :O

supermom123's picture

1. If she is 10, I think she is old enough to learn how to wash out her own underwear when she poops in it. Don't do it for her. I have a feeling there is something going on with her in regards to this, so I bet reading those posts listed above might help. Does she get a lot of attention from you when she poops in her pants? I wouldn't give it any attention at all, I'd just make her wash the panties out though. You'll need to teach her how to use the soap, scrub, etc., but I bet she can learn. She might hate washing the panties enough to stop. If she doesn't stop on her own, then maybe she's having a problem you're unaware of.

2. If she cuts herself shaving, then she'll regret it and will probably stop shaving on her own. It's called logical consequences. She'll learn on her own. OR maybe you're wrong, maybe she'll actually learn to shave appropriately and do a good job. Let her figure this out. It's not a big deal, so don't sweat the small stuff like shaving.

3. Your husband should take her to do ANY of the errands that she needs done, when she is on her scheduled time with him. Since he's not living with the bio-mom anymore, he has to now take over as both parents when the child is with him. It's not weird for a girl to talk openly with her father about female issues. What's weird is that society tries to tell us to keep these things private and secret. Being more open is a good thing, not a bad thing, so long as it is handled respectfully. I wouldn't worry too much about what she talks to her Dad about; let her feel open with him.

4. She can call him Dada for as long as she wants. Some kids still say "Mommy" down here in the South even if they're grown! It's a family thing. But she shouldn't talk baby talk to him, so the dad should just gently remind her to "use her normal voice" whenever she does this. Or you could gently say that, too, but try to let the Dad be the primary corrector and lecturer in her life. You'll be glad you did.

Buzybee82's picture

gawd I'm going crazy!!! so I've witnessed sd hurt dd before, and had suspicions she still does cuz dd's actions when sd around. well here's my morning: sd wakes up being a total bit*h to me, while still in bed. arguing, yelling at me, slamming doors etc! i put an end to that real quick like! then just when she thinks I'm not watching, sd grabs dd2 by her arms, squeezes them as hard as she can, physically turns dd around, pushes her while digging her nails into dd! she looked up and saw me watching and says "i didn't mean to scratch her!" so what's dd do after that? hits baby brother in the head!!! i sware this girl is evil!!! can't wait for her to go home, my house is crazy! sd freaking out every couple minutes, dd mimicking her!!! no peace what so ever! then before we can do anything, if we can so anything cuz sd not in trouble (which there hasn't been a day in the past 12 days that she's not in horrible so dh "vacation" has been spent at home) we have to wait for sd to take her shower which takes 45min-1hr!!!
about the pooping... we do make her clean it. she wants us to treat her like dd2 and celebrate when she goes in the toilet! she talks like a baby and says she wants 2 suckers just like dd2

Buzybee82's picture

we have in the past, Nothing makes a difference with this girl! just getting her to follow basic parenting things has cost us a whole week of doing nothing cuz she's in terrible every day. literally basic stuff, like don't yell/ disrespect adults, do what you're told, don't act like a baby, don't have tantrums!

Buzybee82's picture

let me just say it's exhausting! i have to watch the 10yr old every second cuz if not she will be bossing 2yr old around, or physically harming her!

20YearsAsAStep-Mom's picture

Simple you remove your 2 year old from sd's company and watch your 2 year old - which by they way you should be watching at ALL times anyway.

Buzybee82's picture

how do i remove my 2dd away from sd company? i mean cuz when she's here we try to act like a family... i do watch dd 2 every second of every day. especially when sd around!

Buzybee82's picture

sd just left the house!!! my houses goes back to normal now! so excited to have 2 weeks of normal-cy. don't get me wrong,i know i sound like a bitch talking about a child the way i do, i don't get to vent anywhere so this is where i come when I've had too much! i do love my sd, if i didn't i would just disconnect/ disengage. i STILL want to help her, and her to have what's best for her.

oncechoosetosmile's picture

I think Buzy, you came to a point with this girl that anything about her feels odd. You didn't really get a break after your baby was born and now have to be so careful to make sure SD doesn't hurt the younger ones.
From what you describe SD is not like a normal 10 year old.Besides the pant pooping SD is already in therapy, isn't she?Having to cope with all this is not easy and there are still critics here who make it sound as she does do something wrong in not liking this kid.
Let me tell you, in Buzys situation I would easily come to a point where I would dislike that child very much and actually, if I think about it , I would even dislike my very own children somehow if they would give me such a hard time and be mean to a two year old.
Sadly it sounds like you are so exhausted from her by now that it is hard to see anything positive happening at all, if there was.
Your DH buying her bras and razors sounds once again as if he is so helpless in dealing with his child that he simply copies BM and her weird behaviour.I believe that kids should be kids and should be trained to enjoy their childhood, making little adults out of them before they are ready is not the right thing to me.
My Sd 7 gets styled by her BM , eg gets her hair straightened and wears silver heels and as much I think that dress up is an important play for little girls I find that goes too far.But she is her daughter so I try to keep my opinion for myself , except when she asked me how I like SD's straightened hair.My response was that I personally like her natural , curly hair much more:))) I believe that preparing kids for life should be more child appropriate than getting them ready for night clubbing.

Buzybee82's picture

haha oncechoosetosmile, as always you've nail it right on the head! and the really sad part is that there is very little "good" she does! usually it's completely forced and fake if she is "trying" to be good, but besides that we're actually not punishing her as much as i would be if my kids were acting the way she did... we can't, we would literally be punishing her ALL day long! i feel so bad for her cuz it's SO extremely hard for her to behave right and be nice to people. she is so consumed in herself all the time, it's mentally hard for her to treat other right! sad.

Buzybee82's picture

heres an example. we went to the county fair today just to do 1 fun thing in the two weeks she's been here and dh off work. we shouldn't have gone cuz of her behavior this morning, but we're all so sick of being gone and all of us paying the price for her bad behavior. so after a long, get expensive day we get ready to leave and she pouts cuz she HAS TO HAVE THIS HAT!!! dh lets her get it, we get in the car and all of us but sd thank dh for fun day. sd says it was fun, BUT she didn't really get to ride enough rides, she says frowning! not thanks for taking me even though i shouldn't have been able to go, or thanks for spending all for money on me... it was thanks but I'm still not happy cuz i didn't get enough! ugh! if i said that when i was a kid my parents wouldn't take me back to the fair again ever!

oncechoosetosmile's picture

yeah, know what you mean....since my son 9 asked me nicely for a footy ball today i went to the shops and because SO and I always try to be fair for our youngest ones I got a Barbie for SD7.Although she was happy when she received it she started instantly to find out which was more expensive, the ball or the doll....geez.I would have been grateful to got anything, but obviously many kids these days get far too much and still don't know about gratefulness.

Buzybee82's picture

what's up with kids these days? they feel so entitled into getting things EVERY where we go? like seriously... we can't go to a single place without sd asking for a million things and if she doesn't get it all she's never grateful for what she did get. i seriously dread taking her anywhere, even grocery shopping! we took her to a store that had nothing that interested her at all, but she still HAD to get something so she got a box of tissues!!! and no not because she needed them, just cuz she just has to get SOMETHING!

christinen's picture

I know what you mean about entitled skids! My SD4 HAS to get something EVERYWHERE she goes. Even if DH or I is just running to the store for milk or something small, she still HAS to get something. It's out of control. We have SD every other week & every time DH picks her up, they stop at the store & she comes home with a bag full of toys/candy/whatever she wants. It's sickening.